Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-19-2018, 07:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Electric brake controls

We just bought our 2006 Journey 36G and want to tow my car hauler trailer that has standard electric brakes via a brake controller. Has anyone installed a brake controller like a prodigy? I'm surprised it does not have a built in controller - or does it and I just haven't figured it out yet??
spowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:16 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I use the new Prodigy P3. Works well and easy to install. Your older RV may require hard wiring. Some models have a plug where these can be "plug-n-play".
Old 07-20-2018, 07:50 AM   #3
Just Trying to Help

spowell-

Here is a link to a Google search of iRV2 posts containing the terms "Journey," "electric brake" and "controller."

Chances are high that you can get a matching pigtail so that your installation is plug-and-play. If you can't find one, post here and we'll look around for you.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:32 PM   #4
2006 Itasca Meridian 39K

I just went through what you're working on. I have an 2006 Itasca Meridian 39k which I'd guess is pretty much the same as your Journey.

What made it a simple task was the fellow I found on ebay that made the pigtail that you'll need to connect the trailer plug behind the steering column of your mh to whatever brake controller you choose to install. Here is the ebay description that I ordered the pigtail:
Freightliner XCM RV brake harness Winnebago Newmar pigtail wiring, listed by a fellow
named ericselz. Eric was fantastic to work with, I told him what brake controller I was installing and he wired the pigtail so that the wire colors where the same as my controller so splicing was a piece of cake. I originally called Freightliner for the pigtail, they wanted around $250, Eric charged $38.50 and it worked first time.

I don't think I'd worry about which brake controller just go with whatever you feel comfortable, I had a ten year old one from an earlier truck and it works fine.

Heres the steps I took:
1. Get your brake controller
2. Get the pigtail from Eric
3. Splice the pigtail to the controller
4. Find the labeled "brake controller" plug behind the dash and plug in to pigtail
5. Mount the brake controller somewhere around the dash per the controller's directions
6. That's it. the Meridian already had the wiring to the electrical socket in the rear of the MH.

MH connector is connected to plug on pigtail, pigtail wires spliced to the controller wires.
Wingchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have had a really good response from the ETrailer.com people and used several of their products in past times. They have a call in line and if they cannot help you they will say so.
dawa106 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake