Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-29-2018, 03:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Does TOAD Need Lights

Will be towing a MINI on a dolly. Does the MINI need brake and turn signals working or are the dolly lights all that is needed?
brican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:36 PM   #2
Site Team

We tow a Mini Roadster 4-down so we need lights. Not sure if you need lights on the tow dolly or not, but if you do need lights and don't want to mess with cutting into the car you might want to consider what we have. We have this light. You'd probably need to splice into the existing power adapter from the RV since the dolly will likely have lights as well (and you will need 2 plugs). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075DGPCFK...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-29-2018, 09:50 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I have a Prius on a dolly. The dolly light are all that is needed. However, my Kar Kaddy dolly comes with an extra plug near the surge brake to plug in an extra set of lights. I have a set of magnet lights that plug into the dolly harness and place on the roof of the Prius. The back is all plastic. Extra lights can't hurt.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Whoa! That's a nice light!! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075DGPCFK...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Always been a concern of ours as well. We have dolly-towed our Camry through every state west of the Dakotas and Texas and from border to border using just the lights on our EZ-Tow dolly. Have never been stopped. But different states have different laws. I make it a point to approach highway patrol officers when we happen to share a road side rest and ask. A crap shoot. In California I have three dolly lights OK to two not. Don't know in Utah and Idaho. No in Nebraska & S. Dakota. In AZ I looked on line - nothing. And I asked at AZDMV. Got an Oklahoma salute (shoulder shrug).

Nonetheless, whether dolly towing the Camry, or flat towing our Ranger, we carry an inexpensive set of temporary magnetic attachment LED tail lights. Just in case. $29.99 at Harbor Freight. Less with your 20% coupon. The Ranger, of course is wired to use its integral lights.

Another consideration -- so far we've kept to our plan not to have to drive after dark. But we have gotten caught in some darn heavy fog and some darn heavy rain while dolly towing. I jumped out and rigged those magnetic lights in both cases. That way we have some low lights and some high lights. Just in case.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:01 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Whether you need additional lights or if the tow dolly is enough will depend upon the state law where the vehicle and dolly are registered. Some states allow dolly only and some don't. As long as you conform to your state vehicle laws you will be ok travelling to other states.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:02 PM   #6

What is the distance from the dolly lights to the end of the Mini?
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

About 12 feet from dolly lights to back of MINI.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_engineer View Post
Whether you need additional lights or if the tow dolly is enough will depend upon the state law where the vehicle and dolly are registered. Some states allow dolly only and some don't. As long as you conform to your state vehicle laws you will be ok travelling to other states.
^^ This. As long as you are legal where it's registered you are good to go. So find out what is required in your state.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:13 AM   #9

Brican, statute or not, twelve feet from dolly light to back end of Mini is toooo much for my comfort safety level. Not everyone’s depth perception is good. Add lights.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:46 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Does TOAD Need Lights

I feel the same way so, I've bought magnetic lights and a four pin "Y" cable.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:16 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

IMHO the only time dolly lights would be enough is when you are towing the dolly WITHOUT a car loaded on it ! ! ! !

It would be mighty hard for those dolly lights to be seen by anyone behind you with the car on top of the dolly ! ! ! !
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:25 AM   #12
Site Team

You need a roadster or coupe! I can see my RV tail lights over the car. LOL
Old 07-03-2018, 08:58 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Does TOAD Need Lights

Lights (at least the drivers side light) are visible unless the vehicle behind is following too close. The RV's lights will be visible because they are high enough to clear the TOAD.Anyway, I'll have my magnetic lights.

My concern about the magnetic lights - scratching the MINI's paint. There is always something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	169797  
Old 07-03-2018, 01:40 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by brican View Post
My concern about the magnetic lights - scratching the MINI's paint. There is always something.

So far mine has not scratched and we've been on some roads that nearly sent the lightbar sailing down the road.. When/IF it does I plan to install some stripes under the magnet mount location.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:22 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

"My concern about the magnetic lights - scratching the MINI's paint. There is always something."

Our HF economy version lights came with cushioned bases, really strong magnets and have not scratched our XLE.

We are terrified about extension ladders, 5 gallon buckets, scrap metal and other road debris.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:28 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I tow a Chrysler Sebring convertible and installed a hopkins 55999 wiring kit. works great. You can never have enough lights!
mdka99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:10 PM   #17
Itasca Sunstar Owner

I have the EZ tow dolly. I also bought some magnetic lights for the car. I do not mount them on the car. I bought some velcro and attached the lights to the inside of the car on the rear window deck (next to the speakers). I then run the wires out window and to the front of the car. I then plug the tow dolly and lights into the motorhome. I spliced a wiring harness into the wiring for the magnetic lights so I can plug the tow dolly into that then into the motorhome.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:54 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

I never had lights on my old Scion xA. Never had a problem using the tow dolly lights. But, after 10 years of frustration with the dolly, where do I put it when I arrive, getting loaded and unloaded, dealing with the road grime all ever the tie down straps and ratchets, kneeling on whatever is under me to secure or unsecure... and the list goes on: I bought the Honda. Best move I could make for a towed.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

This is primarily a safe-driving issue. Followers must be able to see your intentions. Laws may vary by state. Best to check with your DMV.

"To travel is to live"
travelboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, toad