Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-28-2024, 11:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question New Member Question about INTENT Model, or Parts Availability for Discontinued Winnie

Hi Fellow Campers! We are new to the group, but lifetime campers. Currently, we have a 24’ Class A and are considering upgrading to a 2019 INTENT 31P with a super slide. My hubby just retired, and we are snowbirding for 5-6 months at a time; the 24’ is just a tad too small for that (especially with two dogs who need to be separated because they don’t always get along!).

While researching the INTENT, I discovered that it was only manufactured for a few years 2017 to 2020/1. It was a new, entry-level design offered by Winnie. If anyone knows why it was discontinued, I’d love to know.

My primary concerns are getting parts if needed for repairs during an anticipated 5-10-15 year ownership, and resale value if life throws a curve ball and we need to retire from camping sooner than we hope.

If anyone has experience with this particular model, or the INTENT line, I’d love to know how the unit has held up for you.

And if anyone has experience finding repair parts or reselling a discontinued Winnebago model, that knowledge would also be valuable.

Thank you!
Susan & Steve
PotterOnWhls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 11:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago does a very good job of maintaining a parts inventory to a point. A lot of parts were/are supplied by outside vendors, if the part was popular it may still be in use today. Other items may have only been used in a single model and may not be easy to find. However, you can usually find something that will work.

The Intent was on the Ford F53 Chassis, which is a good thing as that has been the only gas-engined RV chassis available since 2012. It has been in production in one form or another since the late 1980s.

I purchased an Itasca Meridian DP which was produced for over 16 years in one form or another. Mine is the last generation that was discontinued in 2018? Other than furniture and cabinetry any parts I have needed I have been able to get through a Winneabago dealer.

As is typical of most motorhomes you have two sets of components you are dealing with, chassis manufacturer and the cabin manufacturer. In this case both are strong companies. So the odds are pretty good at getting what you need.

As far as resale value, it is a crap shoot. Used RV values have taken a huge hit in the past year. I am of the school of thought I am going to buy what I feel I can afford and sell it for what I can get out of it when I am done using it, win or lose.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 02:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I appreciate the insight, Aaron. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

I notice you’re towing a Focus Hybrid. Are you using a dolly, or do you flat tow? We have owned hybrids since 2009, and I hate to trade my current hybrid in for something I can flat tow that isn’t planet friendly. I know that we are lucky to get 8-10mpg on the RV, but I still I feel having a planet friendly vehicle for getting around helps me balance the scales a wee bit.)

:-)
Susan
PotterOnWhls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 02:49 PM   #4
Site Team

Hi and welcome,
There is a huge "Intent" thread here with lots of mods, fixes, etc.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...es-353677.html

As to why the Intent went away, it's a guess but I'd guess that sales were less than hoped for.

You may want to compare the Intent with the Vista model. The Vista has been around for a long time and still is. It is a more full-featured coach so it may be worth a look just for safety sake.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterOnWhls View Post
I appreciate the insight, Aaron. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

I notice you’re towing a Focus Hybrid. Are you using a dolly, or do you flat tow? We have owned hybrids since 2009, and I hate to trade my current hybrid in for something I can flat tow that isn’t planet friendly. I know that we are lucky to get 8-10mpg on the RV, but I still I feel having a planet friendly vehicle for getting around helps me balance the scales a wee bit.)

:-)
Susan
We tow 4 down. We will be adding a Hybrid Maverick to the stable later this year. The Fusion has done very well. I am looking forward to the increased storage space on the Maverick as it will have a cap on it. We have an elderly F150 that we could tow, however it isn't set up. We travel with my 83 year old MIL and an old hound dog so ease of entry is always a concern.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 03:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Some thoughts on the repair and getting parts?
What is often missed is the RV is two things. One is the stripped down truck chassis that they build a house on top! That means parts for the RV chassis are usually just truck parts! There are some things that are different, like taillights and the small stuff that goes outside on the House but those are not the big ticket items we really need to worry about. The engine transmission brakes and all that goes in between are often just ruck parts and easy to find!
Service is one thing that gets funny because the folks at garages may think Motorhome and automatically know nothing about it! I do lots of my own but when needing some things, I just look for places small enough to walk in and talk to the guy who wants the work. I tell I will be there to open the hood, etc. and the smaller shops are okay with that as they just do much of it in the parking lot out back!

Then the house stuff? It really is much like your sticks and bricks house for repair as it is not the main house but all the smaller stuff we add inside that gives us trouble!
So when the furnace, air cond., stove, etc. stops, we really have to go to the books on that item, much like we do at the house!
The trick with what you are asking if that many of the parts in that RV are still being used in many other RV, so the name on the paperwork is not all that different from the next RV!

I would not worry that part if the RV looked right!
There is an interactive parts catalog that covers most all Winnebago motorized here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

It lets you looks at tons of things for shopping from home that the sales info , etc. may not cover.
It's hard to remember just where small things were when you looked at one, so this gives you a floorplan as well as lets you look at small points like where the stool and shower set!
Best of luck in the trading. I've never bought a really bad one but then I've also never bought one that totally fit for long as life changed!
There are folks who do mobile service and tinker with all the parts or you take it to a special RV place where they may or may not know much more than you do!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new member, parts