Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-27-2022, 09:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

My first Winnebago Via!

Hi and thanks for letting me join the forum. I recently purchased a 2011 Winnebago Via and so far I'm really enjoying it! I've had every style of camper, but this is my first driveable one. My first time driving it was coming from NH and bringing it to ME. I had the drive planned out, but ended up missing an exit and spent an extra two hours getting home. The camper drove very well though and seemed to have plenty of power. I was looking on my roof and there is what looks like an empty coax receptacle a short distance behind the cab lights. Is this for a radio antenna? I thought I read something about a CB/radio antenna online, but can't find it again. Has anyone had to replace this and would any antenna with the correct end on it work? Thanks!
Raegles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 09:51 AM   #2
Site Team

Greetings Raegles,
In reviewing the brochure for the 2011 Via, I am not seeing any mention of a CB radio. If the built-in AM/FM radio is working, then I would assume the coax connector was for a TV antenna of some sort.
Glad your unit is in good shape after eleven years. What floor plan is your Via?
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 04-27-2022, 01:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for responding Eagle5! My Via is a 25Q and has about 33,000 miles on it. The Via I have has the usual crank up TV antenna. This is a small square recessed area with a lone coax end permanently embeded in the camper roof. It's approximately 3' back from the front of the camper and in the center. On my last 5th wheel I had a flexible radio antenna and it looks like a coax type antenna could be screwed on. The radio gets a few stations, but I'm in an area with poor reception so I don't know if I have a built- in antenna or not.
Raegles
Old 04-27-2022, 02:25 PM   #4
Site Team

The 25Q is reminiscent of my 22M's floor plan. That looks like the best floor plan of the three.
From what you tell me, I believe that coax cable went to some sort of AM/FM antenna. If you can attach an alligator clip test lead onto the center conductor of the coax, your AM/FM reception should improve. Are there any coax cables unhooked inside the coach?
Eagle5
Old 04-27-2022, 02:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The TV connections are in the hall closet and everything appears to be connected. Yes, we liked the 25Q because of the room around the bed. The other issue, which I think many people have, is the fold out sofa sleeper is missing it's original blow up mattress. I've been looking and don't see anything readily available as a replacement. I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a clever retro fit?
Raegles
Old 04-27-2022, 03:25 PM   #6
Site Team

Here is an Air Mattress that is 54" x 75" (an exact fit) for $34.
FYI; Eagle5
Old 04-27-2022, 04:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Great,thanks I'll check it out!
Raegles
Old 04-27-2022, 05:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Could it be satellite prep?
Gary92345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 05:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hi Gary92345! I hadn't thought of that. The coax attachment looks original so I thought it might be for a radio. I wonder where I could find out what was actually there when it was manufactured. I've tried looking at exteriors photos and can see something that looks like an antenna, but the photos are too far away to get a good look at it. Thanks!
Raegles
Old 04-27-2022, 05:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Here is a link to the wiring diagram for your coach. If you click on the antenna link it will show the outside connections. Hope this helps. Gotta love Winnebago documentation...
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ing_Models.htm
Gary92345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 06:16 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Welcome, the 2011 Via 25Q seems quite popular! 33,000 miles, wow, I bought mine with 56K on it!
Regarding the antenna connections on the roof, there are several. There is one over the cab, in the painted part that looks like it's for a radio. I was going to attach a radio antenna there till I found out it is not needed, the dash radio and the coach radio both work fine and I suspect they are connected to the other radio antenna back by the holding tank vents.
Now there is another one you might be referring to and this one is located just behind the front cap on the white filon roof, it is a plastic roof jack for the satellite coax that comes out and connects to the dish, do you still have the dish? I removed my dish along with the plastic roof jack and cut off the coax. I've attached a photo that shows where everything was located (it's the center of the roof, my black kneeling pad makes it look like the edge) and a second picture where you can see the un-used radio antenna connection.
There are several 2011 25Q owners here, I bought mine in October of 2020 and have done a lot to the chassis and coach both in the way of repairs and improvements, there are a few things Winnebago could have done better but for the most part it's a pretty solid coach.
Make sure it's had the AEM performed, if not you have till October to get it done. You will receive an additional 48 months warranty on the emissions system plus some cash when you have it done.
For chassis issues or if you do your own maintenance I can answer a lot of questions but also join Sprintersource, there is a wealth of Sprinter information over there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	removed.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	182653   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	182655  

Old 04-27-2022, 06:32 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

bigb, thanks so much for all the information. You have been very helpful. I don't think mine looks like either picture you've sent. I'll get on the roof tomorrow and take pictures, if it's different than yours I'll post it. There was no dish with the camper just the coax connection. I didn't know anything about the AEM recall. Is that performed at a Mercedes dealer or at a Winnebago dealer? If it's a recall is there a charge to get it fixed? Thanks!!
Raegles
Old 04-27-2022, 06:36 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raegles View Post
bigb, thanks so much for all the information. You have been very helpful. I don't think mine looks like either picture you've sent. I'll get on the roof tomorrow and take pictures, if it's different than yours I'll post it. There was no dish with the camper just the coax connection. I didn't know anything about the AEM recall. Is that performed at a Mercedes dealer or at a Winnebago dealer? If it's a recall is there a charge to get it fixed? Thanks!!
Raegles
No charge, it's part of the emissions settlement and you can get up to $3,290 if no previous owners filed, if they did it reduces your share by about $800.
here's the web site: https://www.mbbluetecsettlement.com/
There is another site where you enter your VIN to see if it has already been done.
Old 04-27-2022, 06:37 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

As far as the mattress, mine is a Whoosh brand and last time I was at Costco I saw some there. Or maybe the valve is called a Whoosh valve now that I think about it, I may have to go look at it. Does yours still have the air pump?
Old 04-27-2022, 06:52 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Just looked at the mattress, it's an AeroBed sold by Costco. The valve is called a "whoosh" and it empties very fast. I attached a picture of the roof jack that was embedded in sealant and had the satellite coax coming out of it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220427_174338.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	182656  
Old 04-27-2022, 06:54 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Brian, I will contact my MB dealer and get that set up! No, I have nothing left of the original sofa bed, no pump or mattress. The only thing left is the webbing which is permanently attached.
Raegles
Old 04-27-2022, 06:57 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Brian, that looks similar to what I have, but there is no piece in the middle, just the coax end. I will take a picture tomorrow and send it to you. Thanks!
Raegles
Old 04-27-2022, 07:00 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raegles View Post
Thanks Brian, I will contact my MB dealer and get that set up! No, I have nothing left of the original sofa bed, no pump or mattress. The only thing left is the webbing which is permanently attached.
Raegles
Looks like the pump comes with the mattress, I see Amazon sells them as well. Ours has a broken retainer that holds the valve shut but it stays shut if you wedge a piece of cardboard on the edge, I though about replacing it but not sure we will ever need it. Not a lot of cargo carrying capacity on the 25Q and one or two kids would put us over GVW, were maxed out now with just us 2 of us and travel gear.
Old 04-27-2022, 07:08 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Brian, I will check that out. There's only two us as well. You have to be creative in how you pack things! If my daughters were younger and still went with us it would be difficult, but for just two of us it works pretty well. I'm learning to be a minimalist!

Raegles
Old 04-27-2022, 07:15 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Gary92345. That's exactly what the square hole in my roof looks like!
Raegles

Tags
winnebago