Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2020, 12:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Via 25Q Macerator pump problems-am I the first?

Greetings.....I just had to start a thread for my gray water tank macerator pump issues. This is a 2011 Via 25Q. We purchased used this past December. All seemed great on the dealers lot but we quickly discovered the gray tank would not empty... Yuck....With the Q series the macerator pump is located on a back wall about 30" behind the water valve panel and another 30" below the queen bed platform. Talk about difficult access!!!!! It's intake is above the 1/2 full point on the gray tank yet with the tank failing to drain the shower all we could get is a trickle. Best option to empty tank was to remove the 1-1/2" threaded plug on the gray line and work the slide valve to decant the tank in 5 gallon portions into a large pail.
Removal of the macerator pump took about 3.5 hours and required disassembly of the metal partition wall between the electrical bay and water management panel just to access the mounting screws that hold this pump to the rear panel. Undoing the band clamps that held the lower pump FERNCO intake fitting to the ABS piping required lowering myself to the hips through an access cover under the queen mattress platform. The Flexible 1" PVC discharge hose needed to be cut with a PVC cutter as even with its band clamp removed it was impossible to separate from the macerator pump in that tight space.
Upon teardown of the pump I find that likely a drain cleaner or winterizing fluid left in the pump caused a complete melt down of the pump impeller. It looked like a wad of green goo inside the pump body (see photo).
I ordered a rebuild kit with impeller and gasket from Amazon and rebuilt the pump. Hope I did correct but remounted the pump to an outside surface of the water service bay box that had plenty of room behind the gray tank to repipe and much easier service access. The location is protected from water and road debris and allows for complete drainage of the gray tank and piping when winterizing the RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5194.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	174098   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5452.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	174099  

Name:	IMG_5489.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	174100  
Geosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

OUCH! That looks ans sounds like a bear.
I can't think of any antifreeze, etc. that turns an impeller into that mess. Maybe looks more like a Brillo pad? Something sure not right.
From the number of post I'm seeing the Via seemed to get several bad design points and this one looks like a really bad idea.
Sorry. I can't help but I can feel for you!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:55 PM   #3
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Curious, why do they put a macerater pump on a grey tank?
Old 06-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Curious, why do they put a macerater pump on a grey tank?
Good question on why and it seems to involve some really poor design. All I can see is the location and choice of how to drain the grey tank into the same dump valve as the black???? The grey outlet goes UP first to the pump before going across both tank to join the black dump through what appear to be small fittings. Maybe the idea is that the macerator is needed to make sure the small fittings don't clog? First picture is from the back showing the pump higher than the tank outlet and the line to the other tank and outlet. Next picture if from the front looking toward the back. black tank closer with grey in the background.

Somebody thinking too hard or not thinking hard enough?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pump.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	174102   Click image for larger version

Name:	outlet.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	174103  

Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags