Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-12-2022, 05:33 PM   #1
2018View24J

Hello Everyone. 2018 View 24J issues?

Hi all. Just in the process of purchasing a used 2018 View 24J with 26,000 km on the chassis.

I am not new to RVing, but this is my first Winnebago.

I have identified a couple of issues with the rig that the dealer has agreed to repair prior to me making payment and taking delivery. They are as follows:

1. The power skylight will not open. When the button is pressed, it opens about a half inch then a nasty grinding noise is heard, like the gears are eating each other. The skylight will not open any further.

2. The power awning does not work. Push the button. Nothing happens. Not a squeak, not a moan, nothing. It is not a fuse or circuit breaker, we checked that first. I believe it is a Carefree 16 footer.

The rig goes in to their shop this Wednesday for them to diagnose the problems and order parts.

Other than that, the rig is really clean. Looking for thoughts on the two problems, especially that power skylight. I think it is a Dometic Midi Heki skylight, but I could be wrong on that.

Andy
2018 Winnebago View 24J (maybe)
L_Warmwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Welcome to the group. I have a Journey 36M so I'm not much help. Hopefully someone else can chime in.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 04:52 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Congrats on your new rig. I've changed out the entire power skylight /fan mechanical system myself (not the same model as yours) and it was pretty easy and straight forward- not a major problem.

Awnings can be a bit more challenging and from your description it could be a variety of things . Maybe something simple as a broken wire or connection of you already checked for a blown fuse or circuit breaker . I generally shy away from working on awnings or toppers as the spring system in them spook me, unless its something I can easily see and fix.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 09:09 AM   #4
2018View24J

Thanks for the replies. When I pointed out the awning failure to the salesman he mentioned it to the sales manager who seemed to think it might need a new motor. I don't know if the sales manager knew something or was just speculating. The rig is at the dealership on consignment. It goes in to their shop on Wednesday, so I should know more in a couple of days.

I also negotiated the supply and install of a low pressure LP quick connect. I had that on my last rig and really liked it. My firepit and Blackstone grill are all set up for the low pressure quick connect, so I would like to keep things that way. I've told them to install the quick connect just behind the rear wheels on the passenger side. Seems like a good spot.
Old 06-13-2022, 12:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Being new to the Winnebago area, it may amaze you how much info is posted online to help us sort things.
So some links to head you in the right direction to get down to the details of finding what you've bought??

Parts catalog! Don't overlook this as you don't want to buy parts yet but it is a super help to find things without having to crawl around to find them!
Takes a bit of "learning curve" to work it around but really great once you get the hang of it:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

And now might be a time to get a clue on the awning thing, if you get into DIY as quicker than waiting!
I found the awning switch at the door as in first picture?
Click these to get a better view but then I also think I spot a relay just behind the switch and those two would be a prime suspect!!

If you get into the wiring questions, there is help there also. On the wires, there is supposed to be a code on the wires.

This is the list to decode the from and to of each wire:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

A help to sort out which is supposed to have battery and which is ground!

More wiring info here /drawings?
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm
Plumbing:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...m/Plumbing.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awn.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	183205   Click image for larger version

Name:	awn1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	183206  

Click image for larger version

Name:	f wire id.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	183207  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 12:33 PM   #6
2018View24J

Thanks Richard. Great info! I was playing with the parts catalogue and wiring codes and I think I have it pretty much figured out. Really cool! I am sure this will come in handy in the future.
Old 06-17-2022, 05:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Angry Skylight

We own a 2018 Navion (View) 24J and have had skylight problems. The skylight was replaced not quite a year after our purchase. In December 2021 the skylight would not open, again. The dearer ordered parts and we are still waiting. Today I called and was told the parts were still on back order (6/17/2022). A different dealer said the entire skylight would have to be replaced but it would take a while to get it. Cost: $2357, just for the skylight, installation additional. Not happy!! Love the Navion otherwise.
Rhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 05:58 PM   #8
2018View24J

Wow! The cost of the skylight sounds absolutely ridiculous. Sounds like you're being gouged.
Old 06-17-2022, 06:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Angry Skylight

That was the cost direct from Dometic. The cost through Winnebago was $1,194.57. Of course they can’t provide the skylight, or parts. Get this, the cost for parts to fix ours is $1,690, but they have been on order forever (Since December).
We are on a three month trip to Alaska and had to screw the skylight down.
Old 06-17-2022, 06:59 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

When dealing with new things, there is always a big decsion to make on how to go. Taking it back sounds good but if we have to wait six months, not so good. Do we jump in and do some looking?

But with that said, I might suggest doing a look at what might be wrong as the skylight sounds like it may have some binding and that lead to stripped gears. Those gears might be handy to replace, rather than wait in line for a long time?
I never know until I get there and I also find repair often lean more toward replacing the whole thing, rather than fixing something like stripped gears!

Does this have an interior plastic shroud/cover of some sort which might let you get a look at the mechanics of the lifting?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 09:54 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Skylight

Yep, the gears are stripped. Those are the parts ordered and Dometic is not responding when called to check on Winnebago’s order. Winnebago says they are waiting on Dometic. The dealer has contacted both and so have I.
Old 06-18-2022, 10:37 AM   #12
Site Team

ICONdirect.com https://www.icondirect.com/skylights/ is a company in Canada that specializes in plastic RV parts and they carry all kinds of skylights. They even custom make them to order.

However, I don't know if they do much with opening skylights - it mostly seems like ceiling and shower skylights. But you might check and see.

Tags
view