Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hello All Think I found my next MH

I am looking at a 1988 Itasca Suncruiser 27rq with dinette 95k miles
the guy is asking 5k for it. and from all i can tell by my convrsations with him and a friend looking at it, it is in real good shape.

Needs drivers windshield (not right away)
and rubber around drivers door.
has msd 6a and doug thorely headers and new exhaust system and 6 new toyo tires

Any input before i go get it
Please be frank

Scott
Vividus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

What no one with an opinion. come folks a liitle input Please
Old 06-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I can offer no advice about that RV but I did about 30 years ago buy my first motorhome for $2500 figuring if I did not like it I could sell it and not lose to much money so my thought would be go for it. I've had three motorhomes and one 5th wheel since then, each bigger and better (read much more expensive) so that idea worked for me.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Sounds like a plan if it doesn't break the bank. Itasca has always made a good coach. The new tires will save you alot of money.
Go for it!!!

Chip
06 National SurfSide
model 29a
30ft with 2 slides
V10 Ford chassis
camper19709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

A 25 year old motorhome will always need extra TLC. If you are mechanically inclined, it could be a fun project. I have a 65 year old tractor that I use throughout the year. It requires TLC, but I enjoy it. Then again there is a lot less to go wrong with an old tractor than an old motorhome.
Okiedoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Out of curiosity, what was your last Motorhome.
Are you up on the RV systems - plumbing, wiring etc? Lots of things to test and prove beside the rolling stock and mechanical. Also stated - don't want to break the bank.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

MH

Well, I bought a 96 HR for 7k last year--have put about 3k in it --mostly maintainence, carpet,etc..--dont mind the cost at all so far --we love that it is paid for-from what ive read, you can get some really nice ones for alot more money--but still gonna have to spend money on it--so its 6 of one/half dozen of the other--I love our older MH--Vince
vscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

thank you for all the comments. I am very tool savvy. built a few race cars and 4x4 my 99 ford f250. also build 2 ground up jeeps in my life. my previous MH was an 85 Cheiften 22'
iI have also had two Truck Campers, had to add outside showers to both.
I also have an olded but ready to go airsensors fuel injection system for it.
And I can finally use this brand new 8 years old class A MH cover.
Scott
Old 06-15-2013, 02:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

It would have to be in really great shape and the tires would have to be less than 2 years old and not just have little use on them. Tires are only good for five years after which they can become quickly unsafe even if they have all their original tread on them.

Make sure to pay attention to the coils on the fridge checking for any signs of chromate leakage, soft spots on the floor, roof edge damage, etc, etc.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Vividus - sounds like you have the knowledge and know how to deal with chassis and house so it's back to making sure you know what you're getting into. See if you can view it fully hooked up with refer, a/c and other systems operating - water, lp, check furnace, etc. You sound like you could fix any issues but they all give you bargaining power - same with test drive. If you're comfortable after all that - make your best deal and have a good time making it yours.
Steve
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Amount of money spent is all relative (u will have things to fix ragardless of cost) HOWEVER that being said the most important thing to check for on any MH over !0 years would be moisture intrusion . This can be found by careful visual and most importantly SMELL for mold or mildew.minor leaks are easily repaired and major slow leaks over time are a DISASTOR to avoid at all costs. You may have found a little GEM at a very good cost. Good Luck
Demon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

FLASH FLASH FLASH FLASH

Just got as call from a friend in OR. He found my a 1989 Suncruiser 32' for 4500 no cracked windshield, only 37k mileage. Motor stock,
couple things for fixin.
step switch, should be easy
propane on fridge. others systems are working on fridge
and something with central heating.

From previous posts you say go bigger if possible well cheaper newer less wear and tear.
and bigger 5' +

Think I might go north instead of east

Any responces Friends
Old 06-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

I picked up 96 Itasca 33RQ on F53 chassis that according to the sales brochure is fully loaded with dual AC's and 6500kw onan, The only problem I had with it when we purchased it was the sagging ceiling. I picked it up for $7600.00 and it has around 60k on it.
I have since purchased 2 sheets of corian, a roll of material for the ceiling, Italian Tile, new/old fridge, a roll of vinyl for misc coverings. We are still under 8500.00 on the unit.

I just started last night taking the cabinets out and getting ready to strip the old ceiling out.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

DFW sounds nice. Good Luck to you sounds like a summer project for you. but should be awesome when completesd

I went and looked at the 89 31 and it is not that nice found a guy lived in it for 8 years never drove it anywhere. Smoked the inside to S%*(%*^&%T

So I am back tot he 88 27ru

Scott
Old 06-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

I hoping be well under 10k when it is all said and done. And yes it will be long project with me working 50+ hrs a week. But it will be well worth it when done. The 1 good thing is I can do the work in AC and not sweat to death.