Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I think we found one!

I guess in this market it doesn't take long.

Anyway we found a 2003 Journey 39WD with 26K miles for $70K. I inspected and drove it today. The coach is really clean. I have a few questions for the experts on here.

The first is in reference to the picture below:

Something doesn't look right in the photo. Is that the way it came from the factory? I assume the cold water connection is facing downward in the picture. What is that faucet for?

This coach comes with the manual levelers, can they be upgraded to automatic ones?

The unit is missing the ladder extension that hooks on to the part that is attached to the coach. Can those be ordered directly from Winnebago?
Old 06-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Winnebago does not sell directly to the public. You have to go through Lichtsinn Motors in Forest City, IA. (800) 343-6255

The brass faucet is some sort of owner modification.

The jacks can be changed to automatic but would be costly.

There is also something plugged in to the 110v outlet.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

You will be just fine with the manual levelers. Mine have been trouble free for 7 years. The automatics are good, they just seem to have more things to go wrong.

I use bubble levels on the cabinets over the drivers seat to level. Much better in my opinion that the lights.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Automatic levelers would be a waste of money IMHO. Manual works just fine with the bubble levels. Could be engine heater plugged into the 115 receptical. The faucet is a custom add on Ithink. If its the fresh water intake, I would like to have one sure would make it a lot easier to attach the hose...Seems like a good find. Just check it out and then check it out some more...Individual or dealer? Maintainence records? Sure would be helpful..Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have the same year and model coach. The brass valve is not on mine and the electrical cord plugged in is for the engine block heater.

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the information.

I think can can get used to the manual levelers. I guess it is just a matter of developing a system.

I noticed a little wind noise coming from the front while driving. Does the windshield gasket normally get any maintenance?

All the body seams have the original caulk. They are tight, and there is no sign of leaks, but the caulk seems hard. Should this be scraped off and redone?
Old 06-20-2010, 08:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The first thing I would look over closely is the wall to roof seam. I recaulked mine mainly due to the factory job was not very good. This seam is a 'must do' maintenance item. The roof only overlaps the wall about a quarter inch and a good seal is a must. There have been cases of the roof coming 'unattached' due to lack of proper sealing.

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Getting excited now since we pick up the unit tomorrow. Here is a picture:

Even though this is an AS IS deal I still plan on a PDI checklist. Wish me luck.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, but my wife likes the 39WD floorplan better. At least we are keeping it in the family.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:37 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Looks great and sounds like a good deal. I would highly recommend that you register with Winnebago as a second owner. Also join WIT and find a local chapter and attend their outings. You will get soooooo much information there it is incredible.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote