Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2021, 12:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2013 Tour 42QD--Newbie

G'day,

Long time RV'er--first time Winnie owner...Getting our 2013 42QD this week...wondering what to "look out for"...realizing these are "rolling houses", just wondering if there is a common theme to look out for....
Have been RV'ing for 20+ years, traded our 2016 Fleetwood Bounder 35K for this rig (two foot itis)...lol

Blessings all
Happy New Year !!!
Charlie
flyski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Read the manuals. Pay attention to slide operation. E.g: Don't revers direction unless an emergency. When extending or retracting the slide(s) and they stop - continue to hold the button in for a minimum of 5 seconds to synchronize the motors. It's on LIppert's web site manual.

Maintenance every year in accordance with Freightliner Manual and you should be good to go.

I'm assuming it has the Aqua Hot. If so, about every 6 weeks turn it on and let it cycle once. Also while it is on turn on the heat (even in summer) and exercise the heat exchanges. Service the AH yearly.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:29 PM   #3
Site Team

Hi Charlie,
You can review your Owner's Manual online for additional details regarding the guidance Wayne mentions above. I always like being able to read the manual before I operate a new piece of machinery. Here is the brochure for the 2013 Tour. That is one big motorhome!
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 01-01-2022, 08:08 AM   #4
Site Team

The first most important thing is to check the roof and especially the radius on the sides where the roof tucks into the drip rail. This is vital. YouTube channel AZ EXPERT has many videos about the topic.

Short version, if the sealant fails there due to age and UV there is nothing holding the roof down and you can lose parts of roof while driving. The roof is one piece fiberglass reinforced plastic… Filon brand… it is not regular fiberglass like a boat or the caps on the front or rear of the RV. It’s thin and can tear.

A thorough roof inspection is mandatory before purchasing.

One other thing, when built, the factory used a silicone caulking on every roof mounted item. It’s good and lasts a long time. But nothing will stick to it except a silicone caulking. So if previous owners ever recaulked anything up there with Dicor or similar caulk it may appear good but you can pull it right off.

So,be aware that you need to use only a silicone caulk (NuFlex 311 or Huangs 311 or other) roof sealant in the future. Geocell ProFlex is used on that roof radius at the drip rail that I mentioned above.

It’s a great coach, enjoy!

Old 03-15-2022, 01:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Hey there - Just saw your post even though it is a few months old. I have a 2013 Winnebago Tour 42QD. Here are some of my issues/observations. I was very thankful I bought the extended warranty. It definitely has paid for itself. What has broken that it covered? 1) Dryer motor 2) Wiring harness under generator 3) Passenger front slide multiple times 4) Bed raise/lower gears/mechanism 5) 2 slide computers (one front, one bed), 6) Carefree awning over door motor

I have also had to become somewhat of a fixit guy myself. Replaced the control board on the refrigerator. Replaced the macerator in the front toilet. Wife accidentally flushed some Lysol wipes down it and it destroyed the macerator teeth.

I am not trying to scare you - they will have issues. They are a rolling earthquake and we're fulltime so things are used every day. We absolutely love the coach!

It is in right now for a changeout of the slide mechanism on the front passenger from Schwintec to PowerGear which is what Winnebago went to a couple years later. Much more reliable and durable.

They get stuck VERY easily. If you see sand or soft grass, don't park there. I have been stuck 2 times and have seen many other tag axle pushers stuck as well.

I always idle up my engine (cruise on and set when parked) before I do leveling or slides when parking or tearing down.

Enjoy - I am sure I am missing a few things that are staples for my setup/teardown but not coming to mind right now.
Orracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 01:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

One more note: If you search on YouTube for High Pressure RV Tire Inflation by RV Geeks, you'll see two videos. Teaches you how to make a hose with a regulator and pressure release valve to drop the pressure in your air brakes tank so that it will kick on and bring the pressure high enough to fill your coach tires. This is a must have and then you don't have to carry a high pressure compressor in your basement.
Orracle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags