Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-06-2006, 04:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I had been to three dealers for warrenty repair and thought i could get betteer results in forest city. i was there in sep 06 and was not impressed, i got 30% of repairs i needed, five were denied. i had leaks and electronic failures. most problems should have been caught and repaired before it left the factory. I woud not buy another new winnebageo. i would buy a used, year or two old winny. winnebago products are as good as any, but they let them out with poor QA! i toured the plant, before i purchased and i wasn't impressed. i blame my self as much as anybody. i am not whinning, i just stating facts.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I had been to three dealers for warrenty repair and thought i could get betteer results in forest city. i was there in sep 06 and was not impressed, i got 30% of repairs i needed, five were denied. i had leaks and electronic failures. most problems should have been caught and repaired before it left the factory. I woud not buy another new winnebageo. i would buy a used, year or two old winny. winnebago products are as good as any, but they let them out with poor QA! i toured the plant, before i purchased and i wasn't impressed. i blame my self as much as anybody. i am not whinning, i just stating facts.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

We have been to Forest City twice (and are here again for a few more little things) and my conclusion is different than yours. Our service experience has been very good - that's why we are here again. As a matter of fact, Forest City is a routine annual or biannual stop for many owners that we have talked with - they don't want anybody else touching their machines.

Having said that, their work is not always perfect or up to my exacting specification. When that happens, they are always ready to do whatever (within reason) it takes to make me satisfied. The positives far outweigh the negatives in my experience.

Dealing with new coach issues hasn't been something that I particularly enjoy, but it was entirely anticipated by me as a consequence of buying new. New coach issues are not unique to the Winnebago brand - I have lurked on one of the Newmar forums for a couple of years and those owners go through many of the same problems with the same components as we do.

I agree with your assessment that many problems are directly due to a lack of manufacturing quality control - I'll bet that I had perhaps a dozen little problems that never should have happened at assembly, or should have been caught at QC. I believe there is a constant struggle between the corporate bean counters and production engineering. Perhaps Winnie believes it is more profitable to pay for warranty repairs at $80 an hour than slow down the assembly line.

Your plan not to buy new again has merit. We actually wanted to buy a year old Vectra or Horizon with the ISL engine in the 40AD floorplan so we didn't have to eat that first year depreciation. And of course there is the advantage where (maybe) some or all of the new coach issues have been mitigated by the previous owner. Couldn't find any on the market when we looked so here we are with a coach purchased new.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RON55:
I had been to three dealers for warrenty repair and thought i could get betteer results in forest city. i was there in sep 06 and was not impressed, i got 30% of repairs i needed, five were denied. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What 5 warranty items were denied???
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Ron,

John said it well.

There has been a lot of discussion on this very issue. While it may seem strange that the RV marketplace accepts this kind of QA, it is the way it is.

Winnebago does a good job overall so don't be down on them specifically.

The used thing can go either way quickly. No matter what you do, it is a gamble on an induvidual unit.

There must have been something positive about Winnebago for you to purchase one even though you were unimpressed with the factory tour.

You will find a lot of support here, enjoy the ride.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

when you say the repairs "were denied" what does that mean? Did they say they weren't under warenty or they wouldn't do them? If you dropped in without an appointment, they frequently limit the number of items they will work on so as to allow others to have a chance.

I agree with John's assessment.

John, I was to be there today to pick up our unit. However, I won't make it till next week so I will miss seeing you in person.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

1. deep disc sander marks on slide between and below the window (could have only been done at factory)FC blamed the dealer 2. tv has a large black square (FC their fix, menu adj to cc3) I now have spanish going accross my screen) so i put is back the way it was 3. cloth recliner unraveling (FC denied blamed me) it was there the first day home 4. vcr works sometimes and sometimes it don't (denied) 5. gas hot water heater works sometimes and sometimes it dont (FC replaced vent) i have narrowed it down to the black box or a broken wire to the box 6. leak on rear big window on slide (looked at said they tested ok) it leaks. I've had leaks in four places the rear slilde window was so bad, i had to remove and recalk it the first time in the rain. they bolted the rear air down, that might help some of them. thats not all but enough! i am not bashing winnebago, as i said, i blame myself. but you just expect more out of $115,616.00 window sticker. i put 50,000 miles on my USED 2001 31C Itasca and the only problem was neither i or the dealer could never get it to quit leaking
Old 10-06-2006, 08:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DSouthw524:
--snip--
John, I was to be there today to pick up our unit. However, I won't make it till next week so I will miss seeing you in person. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Our appointment is not until Monday the 9th so we should be here for three or four days I would guess. Look forward to meeting you!

Excuse the OT

Old 10-06-2006, 09:09 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Ron55, I feel I can speak to your concerns from both sides of the fence....When the 2006 Vectra's were announced I was first in line at my dealer to order one. I kept it 6 months and was thoroughly disgusted with what I thought were insurmountable odds of ever fixing several electrical issues I was having with the coach. Most of them were electrical in nature,save for the clear coat overspray issue...I ended up coming to Forest City to have the clear coat overspray issue addressed by the company that does the full body paint for Winnebago,a company called CDI. CDI even offered to pay my expenses to get the coach there...
While I was in Forest City I had several small issues addressed, one of which was a windshield leak that happened ON THE WAY to Forest City,so it wasn't on any predetermined list...They took care of it...
Purely on my own, I became disheartened with the turn signal and electrical issues, which upset me as this was a brand new coach and I decided to trade it...

Some 64 pages later in the Newmar Owners Forum, I am finally getting through the bugs with my new Essex....She's been TOWED TWICE, which left us on the side of the road for three hours each time...And this coach is in Newmar's HIGH line of coaches...

In retrospect, the last time I was at my dealer's lot, there was a very nice older couple taking delivery of a "gently used" and debugged 2006 Vectra.....MY OLD ONE!!

These coaches contain so many systems that are driven down our wonderful soft and smooth highways at some 65 miles per hour.
In a lot of cases it has been these VENDOR items that have failed, and not anything done by the manufacturer....Leaks aside, I find this to be the case in a lot of these issues, including mine.

I don't believe Winnebago's Q and A is any better or worse than Newmar's as I've been in both plants...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 03:44 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

John, acording to the Datastorm map, you folks have made it to Forest City....I'M JEALOUS!!

Good luck with your appointment on Monday and give Bryan (and Jill) my regards....

I'll be heading to Wilmington next weekend and then on across the U.S. of A. toward Kerrville and a Jane,John and Bob reunion.

See you soon...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Like John and some of the others, I wanted to weigh in on the warranty issues.

While we have had more than our share of defects, about half from production, and half from the Factory trying to correct them, I still think Winnie is ahead of the pack. As has been said, this is an industry-wide issue and may be due in part to the wide number of suppliers making the bits. I also agree with John in that there is a calculation made about QC vs. Production. I'd add that they figure only so many people will put their foot down and demand things be properly fixed.... many won't and they avoid those costs.

On the "positive" side, when you go to FC with an appointment, and you are "firm but fair" they have been more than reasonable with us. Sure, we have to take time to go there, but we are usually quite pleased with the outcome. I tend to be more intimately involved with the repair process, and ask a lot of questions. I also review all of the work done each day with my tech(s), veto anything not up to snuff, and review the plans for the following day. I have learned that sometimes, especially when they are very busy, that being proactive about your service items list results in more completed items than if you just let them go at their pace. Being involved and setting up goals and expectations has helped us.

I am headed to Forest City in a few weeks for another week of repairs. After nearly three years, we have most everything fixed, and this last visit should resolve the last few items.

We also make a yearly trip to FC to have the sealants inspected (and documented) and pay for any needed general repairs. Like others, we feel better having the factory do our work, especially in terms of maintaining the sealants. If there is ever any leak, at least I will have an established service history showing that the Factory has been maintaining our unit. It may not count for anything, but I feel better!

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:54 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Hooray - breakfast at The Lodge yesterday and we got a nice hug from Jill! Eat your heart out Bob (and B&J)

Our experience and perspective is almost a duplicate of Buck & Jeff's.

When we wanted the copilot's chair upholstery replaced due to an unsightly wrinkle there was no question or hesistation from Winnie - replaced with no question or argument. Two of our cabinet doors were a different height (~1/8") and most people would never notice the difference - I did and Winnie replaced the doors without argument or question.

They have treated us very well but like B&J suggests, you must inspect/monitor the work (like anywhere) at the end of every day. They are anxious to do a good job but you must be an active part of the process.

I really don't understand Ron55's problems with warranty service - it is a completely different experience than we have had on two different occasions.

Old 10-07-2006, 04:55 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I also agree with John. We have a 2003 that had slide leak problems from day one, and they tried fixing it 4 times. They admitted their seal design was the problem and promised to upgrade the seals when the new seals became available. They stuck to their word and they replaced all three slide seals this last June. That fixed the problem. There were also a number of small issues they fixed under warranty while I was there. FC is the reason I purchased my second Winnebago in 2003. We have been happy with the coach and wish Winnebago would not have discontinued the Ultimate line.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 12:14 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I too agree with John. We were in Forest City the end of September without an appointment and I had six items to repaired. One major issue was my front slides which we had been having problems with since we purchased the coach in October 2004. One visit to the factory in March 2005 failed to correct the problem. During that time I was in contact with Joe Bartleson and when our schedule permit drove my toad up and talked to him about our problem. Long story short, the slides were fixed, kitchen floor repaired, moldings repaired or replaced all under the heading of "goodwill." Note I was out of warranty by almost a year. Other items were covered under HWH or Workhorse. I paid to have my annual appliance safety check which I am glad I did as there was a gas leak in the stove.
All said and done. I am pleased with the quality of work and the willingness to stand behind the product and get it fixed right.
Our tech, Marcus did an outstanding job.
Bob
Old 10-07-2006, 12:14 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

im headed to forrest city on the 15th of october for a week ...front nose needs to be realigned...welding issues of front end brackets and the nose needs to be repainted...ill let you know how it works out...
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:01 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

What I read from the previous post are a lot of owners in love with going to FC to have their warranty service done. One would think that Winnebago would deduce their dealer network isn't doing its job. They get paid for it, but after the sale the customer is pretty much on his own. So those that can, trek back to the factory to get receive resolve for bad QC. Once again I think all manf would be so much ahead to establish zone factory service centers and get the dealer out of the warranty repair business. Tight QC will never be, it interferes with production, and increases burden too much. Under the present system, those who do not have the time or resources to trek back to the factory are hung out to dry.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:06 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

the way of the world, make the most money with the least effort! look at the effort the dealer makes in selling and lack of effort after you out the door. motorhomes are not all that complicated. a water system, a electrical system on a already manufactued chassis. it is the care in assembly and supervision. just get it out the door! i worked in manufacturing and watch it go from great to nothing. corporate wants profit gains now, and personnel and quaity control systems are the first to go. I also would not buy another workhorse either, and i have purchased three new chevy trucks over the past few years. i dont like ford autos but, i had not one problem with my ford class C in 50K. i purchased my rv to drive not to work on. i worked all my life, to be able to do this. i want to go! i dont want to wait on parts or repair. i just dont know how a full timer does it
Old 10-08-2006, 04:31 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I think anyone purchasing a motorhome has to expect things going wrong. Any vehicle driving our interstate roadways are beat up. I am constantly checking over the rig looking for new problems so I can fix before they get out of hand. We are fulltime and we go to FC because the service is outstanding, and they have all the parts they need. Our dealer is John Bleakley in Atlanta and they are as willing as FC, BUT they have to order the parts needed (which takes up to a week), and if they get stuck and need tech help they have to get on the phone to FC. This is why it makes sense for fulltimers to travel to FC for repairs. I am like John in that I make annual trips to FC for any repairs needed.

In addition, we have met many nice people while at FC, AND we get to visit with Jill at the Lodge. John, ask Jill how her mother made out with Skip. I am sure she will tell you the story.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:51 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

I have to weigh into this discussion as I agree with John.

I purchased my Winnebago in Iowa and drove it home only to find out dealers locally would give me the run around about servicing coach. They are supposed to service all Winnebago coaches no matter where purchased(according to Winnebago).

I have been back to Factory twice and have nothing but praise for their service writers and techs, Once there was with appointment and second time there without appointment and both times were treated with courtesy and respect.

The first time they repaired all our problems and we left satified including the repair of chair with bad fabric job and coach with stretched fabric.. The second time I was there I was two days over warranty and they repaired problems when dealer I bought coach from wouldn't. Problem with Basement air not cold (replaced Thermostat), fridge not staying cold (replaced thermistor) and slide not working right.

They have changes the way they work on coaches too by having an appliance tech work on appliances and a body tech work on body problems, etc. which is a smart move.

Also you may have walked in there with a chip on your shoulder and they retaliatted. One thing in life you can get more bees with honey than with vinegar.

I am on my third Winnebago and would buy another one if I wanted to. We are happy with this coach and have been with the other 3 also.

You might want to try manufacturer of components as they have warranty I items.

In closing one thing you must remember you are driving your house down these rotten roads and tell me you don't have problems with your house that is stationery.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:13 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Homer:
--snip--Once again I think all manf would be so much ahead to establish zone factory service centers and get the dealer out of the warranty repair business. --snip-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Winnie had a service center in Temple, Texas some time ago but decided to shut it down for whatever reason. Other manufacturers have satellite service centers, but from what I have read there is quite a long wait for an appointment.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ptribbey:
I think anyone purchasing a motorhome has to expect things going wrong. Any vehicle driving our interstate roadways are beat up. --snip-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You got it brother! When we were in Alaska at a particular campground we were next a 40' pusher coach made by a MAJOR manufacturer (not Winnie) and had fun chatting with the owner. He volunteered that on his first trip to Alaska, most of his wall mounted cabinets managed to shake loose and all of them had to be remounted.

We hit some frost heaves (like speed bumps) on the Alaska Highway that actually bottomed out the shocks and made a horrible noise (BANG!) a few times but absolutely nothing got displaced in the coach - this gives us great confidence that we have one solid machine !