Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-28-2006, 09:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Looking at the many posts on repairs, what's the concenous....is the extended warrenty a good idea or not. Most people I've talked to indicates a "car" extended (including tv's, appliances and other items) is not worth the monies spent. Your opinion counts as I'm at the door and buying next week.

thanks all
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:06 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Looking at the many posts on repairs, what's the concenous....is the extended warrenty a good idea or not. Most people I've talked to indicates a "car" extended (including tv's, appliances and other items) is not worth the monies spent. Your opinion counts as I'm at the door and buying next week.

thanks all
Old 09-28-2006, 10:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You don't say if you buying new or used?
I would say if new then no way.

If buying used I wouldn't but then I could understand why some people do for peace of mind.

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I've purchased the extended warranty on every used automobile I've owned as well as my last (used) 1994 Golfstream coach and never regreted doing so....just my own personal experience. With the cost of the components as well as labor for the work on MH's these days...one major component failure and the warranty could pay for itself. Two other factors to consider are that most of these warranty's are transferable adding a bit to the resale value (not so much in dollar value but in piece of mind to the new owner). Also, if you sell the coach after a year or two (and you request a refund...this is the important part) it's quite surprising how much of the money you get back. Like I said, been dealing with extended warranty's for years now and will continue to do it in the future. There are several of these warranty companies around and you can sometimes save by shopping around instead of going through the dealership. If you go this route, make sure it's a warranty that is widely accepted across the nation. I'm told that the warranty companies who pay their claims via credit card are accepted more because it's easier for the repair shops to get their money. Aother big tip....if you get an extended warranty...never, ever, ever have a repair started, reguardless of the repair, before getting it preauthorized by the warranty company first and I recommend getting that preauthorization yourself and not relying on the repair facility to do it. The warranty companies are known for denying claims on repairs that were conducted before they were authorized. Again, just my opinion on this matter but I hope it helps.
Ron-in-Tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

From now on any vehicle or coach I purchase I will be getting an extended warrenty on. Haven't run into needing it on the coach yet, but my extended warrenty on my toad jusd saved me $4000

us + 3 active boys + 2 crazy labs + 1 plucky bird
Bob RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I purchased two on my cars from national warranty and warranty gold...they were a scam they go bankrupt quickly and your out....as for the ford product (not owned by ford) they sell, I believe the dealer makes a hefty profit and they can set their own price ...i heard they make like 2000.00 on each sale ....i do not suggestit because I have read arbitration cases where the company requires you to keep ridiculous logs and paperwork or they will fail your claims... for example I read one where they wanted to see every receipt for grease fitting lubrication ...the owner was trying to make a repair for the steering mechanism.....

Also most people do not keep an RV 4-5 years...

good luck
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 03:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I haven't had to use the warranty yet on my Journey but had one on my 94 Gulfstream. I can't remember the name of the company but will get that for you. I had over $1000 worth of repairs come up with in the first 3 months of owning the coach and didn't have to show a single receipt to file the claim for it. I had $0 out of pocket expense for the repairs since the repair facility billed the warranty company directly. Again, it will definately make a difference who you get the warranty from. I traded the coach in shortly after that and got back all but about $200 of what I paid for the warranty....but you have to request a refund or you will get nothing. They do not automatically just send you a refund as most of these are transferable and will continue on. Since I sold my Gulfstream to a dealer...I didn't really care to have the warranty to go to the next guy. But again, you have to call the warranty company (or sometimes the dealer you bought it from if you go through a dealer)and cancel your warranty...and then ask for a refund. Again, not saying that this is the company to go with....just saying that I had a good experience with them.
Ron-in-Tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 04:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Well my coach just passed 2 years old and I am glad I have the 7 year extended warranty. I also purchased a tire warranty and it has already paid for itself. I ran over a lug wrench someone left on the Florida Turnplike and after the tire company matched the Michelin and installed it the bill was $525. I got reimbursed from the warranty company and the policy only cost $495. As for the coach extended warranty my sat dish would not find the sat so I took the $ they would pay to fix and applied it towards a new in motion sat that works perfect. Seeing the reliability (106 defects and warranty repairs) of my Vectra and the fact that I plan on keeping at last the 7 years that the extended warranty is for I am glad I bought it.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Don't buy the contract from the dealer. Wait until you have researched thoroughly. Go to the "other" RV forum and search.

Look for a contract that names what is not covered. Don't buy one that tells you what is covered.

Go to www.weissratings.com to check out the stability of the company you are considering. The other ratings services are in bed with the insurance companies and take money from them. Their ratings are not reliable.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

To be accurate, you are buying INSURANCE and NOT an "extended warranty." Put the money in the bank and don't touch it unless you need repair.

From what I have read about these insurance policies is many components (those likely to fail first) are excluded. You need to clear any repair first and if there is some disagreement about what caused a failure, an inspector will examine the situation.

I don't want to confer or clear repairs with anybody - it's bad enough with health insurers sticking their collective noses into my health care with my Doc.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:33 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Everyone,
Just wanted to say thanks for your opinions. Looks like the "insurance" has helped in some cases and in others not. A lot of good advice on both sides. again thanks. Maybe i'll flip a coin,

jk
Old 10-09-2006, 03:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Anyone have "Warranty Experts" Extended Warranty? If so are you satisfied with them. Looking for feedback from folks that have had or have experience with this Warranty.

Pap, Penna
Pap, Penna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:01 PM   #13
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pap, Penna:
Anyone have "Warranty Experts" Extended Warranty? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Pap. Penna, Are you absolutely certain that your want to bet a thousand dollars or more that your motorhome "IS" going to break? Next thing is would the failed part be covered or is it excluded as a normal maintenance item?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:15 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Haven't run into needing it on the coach yet, but my extended warrenty on my toad jusd saved me $4000 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man I think I would look at buying a better toad. I haven't spent $4000 in total on a '96 Explorer I bought new and that includes tires, battery, Etc.. I never buy Extended Warranties on anything. Sears made more on extended warranties that on the rest of their sells altogether and they started the whole process.

Just open a Savings account and put the cost of the extended warranty in the account. When you sell the coach I bet you will still have more than you started with even if you use some for repairs that the warranty would have covered. Don't forget there is always exclusions and deductibles..

Geechee

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote