Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-25-2020, 02:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Trave! Trailer insurance

So I recently purchased a 2018, 2108 DS. I called my insurance agent to get damage coverage (I guess equivalent to collision on a vehicle). As I see it I am protecting myself from some kind of natural disasters, I.e. hail, tornado, tree limbs, etc. All seem rather unlikely, especially when I add lightning strike to this list. Once I'm on the road, I'm covered should someone run into it. Insurance is costing me $32 per month. My questions: Does that premium sound about right? I did not shop around. And, do you insure your trailer setting thru the winter months when not in use or especially if under a roof in storage? I don't want to sound penny pinching cheap but just curious what approach others take.
KeithB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 02:11 PM   #2
Site Team

That sounds very high. when I had a larger more expensive travel trailer insurance was $72 a year. Did you get multiple quotes? Did you try Progressive - they are doing a lot of business with RV insurance.
Old 12-25-2020, 08:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

In haste to get coverage started I did not shop for quotes. That is a significant difference for sure. I will definitely start shopping.
Old 12-26-2020, 01:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Not all coverage is created equal, especially in the toy space (RVs, boats, jet skis, etc...).... Typically, the coverage you describe pays "actual cash value" at the time of loss. In plain english, a depreciated settlement based on age and condition of the tt.... It's possible your agent wrote some variation of replacement cost or stated-value coverage on your TT. Which costs more. Worth it? Only you can decide, and one of the factors needs to be what you are willing to self-insure (deductible + depreciation applied to settlement). My only point in telling you this is so you can make sure you are comparing coverage features when you start comparing price. Price alone can lead you astray...
IOS 3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 06:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOS 3 View Post
Not all coverage is created equal, especially in the toy space (RVs, boats, jet skis, etc...).... Typically, the coverage you describe pays "actual cash value" at the time of loss. In plain english, a depreciated settlement based on age and condition of the tt.... It's possible your agent wrote some variation of replacement cost or stated-value coverage on your TT. Which costs more. Worth it? Only you can decide, and one of the factors needs to be what you are willing to self-insure (deductible + depreciation applied to settlement). My only point in telling you this is so you can make sure you are comparing coverage features when you start comparing price. Price alone can lead you astray...
I appreciate the thought. I hate dealing with insurance for that very reason. I guess my approach will be to make sure what I paid for the camper is covered, even if it would appraise for more or less. At least my investment would be covered in a total loss.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The best insurance companies are actually a blessing, because we CAN buy what we want - even though it costs more. My RV, my boat, and jet skis are all insured for what I paid for them. Not every company will write that coverage. To me, this kind of coverage is worth every penny. Yes, I know, I pay more. And after the central Texas floods in 2018 I can't complain... Like anything else that's important, do your homework. You get what you pay for. Or more importantly, you don't get what you don't pay for.
IOS 3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Google is your friend. A "Travel Trailer Insurance" search beings up a dozen companies you can call or do an online quote. What you are paying now seems to be ridiculously high, since I'm paying less than that a year for $40,000 of Agreed Value on my 2005 Winnebago 38R Class A motorhome with $250 deductibles in Arizona. Plus you only need Comprehensive and Collision coverage since your tow vehicle provides the Liability coverage. I have all my insurance with one company, Auto-Owners Group, which gives me substantial discounts. I checked their website and it shows two agencies near you. https://www.auto-owners.com/agency-locator
deucehotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:23 AM   #8
Nailbender

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithB View Post
So I recently purchased a 2018, 2108 DS. I called my insurance agent to get damage coverage (I guess equivalent to collision on a vehicle). As I see it I am protecting myself from some kind of natural disasters, I.e. hail, tornado, tree limbs, etc. All seem rather unlikely, especially when I add lightning strike to this list. Once I'm on the road, I'm covered should someone run into it. Insurance is costing me $32 per month. My questions: Does that premium sound about right? I did not shop around. And, do you insure your trailer setting thru the winter months when not in use or especially if under a roof in storage? I don't want to sound penny pinching cheap but just curious what approach others take.
That is really high insurance, I would try Progressive, they are less expensive and they seem to cover everything you need and if I'm not mistaken they deduct for storage
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucehotrods View Post
Google is your friend. A "Travel Trailer Insurance" search beings up a dozen companies you can call or do an online quote. What you are paying now seems to be ridiculously high, since I'm paying less than that a year for $40,000 of Agreed Value on my 2005 Winnebago 38R Class A motorhome with $250 deductibles in Arizona. Plus you only need Comprehensive and Collision coverage since your tow vehicle provides the Liability coverage. I have all my insurance with one company, Auto-Owners Group, which gives me substantial discounts. I checked their website and it shows two agencies near you. https://www.auto-owners.com/agency-locator
Thank you! It just seemed high to me too, the reason I posted. I will definitely check your recommendation out.
Old 12-31-2020, 03:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Your local rates will vary, especially if you have had any hail storms the last few years. You can also try AAA Insurance - Jim Glano in Olathe. I had AAA here is Arizona before I switched to Auto-Owners last year because they had a large increase on my homeowners policy, probably because of large losses due to the fires in California. Their vehicle insurance was competitive, although not as good as Auto-Owners. I saved over $500 a year going with them on my home, three cars, two trailers and my motorhome. You can also save quite a bit with them by paying the full year or even six months up front, rather than monthly.
deucehotrods is offline   Reply With Quote