Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-15-2022, 03:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Replacing headlight Bulbs with LED

I am trying to improve the brightness of headlights in my 2007 Voyage 38 J

I have seen posts about LED bulbs

Does anyone know the type of headlights that are stock original on the 38J.

I believe most of these headlights on RV’s come from autos - I believe the headlights are Ford but I am not sure of the model?

I have a lighting store that tells me if they knew the original headlight type they could best match that to a comparable LED bulb. My research says that LED bulbs are most effective when the led bulb matches the filament pattern of the original bulb.

I am a rookie owner so any advice would be appreciated!!
joeyraja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 10:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

LED headlamp bulbs do not perform well in reflectors designed for incandescent bulbs. Look closely at your headlight lens, there will be a DOT number and a stock number. Use those to search for the source of those headlights.

reference: https://jalopnik.com/why-most-led-he...6e7fcb6a204e32
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 04:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Replacing headlight Bulbs with LED

joeyraja,
I have a 2006 voyage F33V and I replaced the stock headlights with Torchbeam T2 9007/HB5 LED Bulb, 16000 Lumens Headlamp, from Amazon. I also replaced the housings with brand new ones (the old ones were very yellow).I absolutely love how bright the headlights are now, after I properly adjusted them. I would estimate that I can see about four times farther, on high beams, then I could with the old yellow and dim headlights.
However, then there was some electrical issue that caused my camera to stay on the right rear camera, my right blinker stays on, and after 40 seconds there is a beep that comes from the dash until I put the left blinker on, for about a second. Then after 40 seconds the beep comes back.
I assumed the problem was needing a load resistor to compensate for the low resistance of the LED bulbs. So then I purchased the SEALIGHT 9007/HB5 LED Resistor Kit, One for each headlight. Unfortunately this did not correct the problem with my back up camera or the blinkers, or that annoying beep.
I still have not found a post that can clear up this issue for me, but I think if I call a Winnebago dealer I may get an answer.
I hope this helps, even a little bit.
Mr Dynamo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light