Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Old Question on Gas vs Diesel

Having a hard time deciding and would like some input. Disregarding the cost, power, etc.

Which would you choose gas or diesel Winnebago and/or Itasca?

This question is more about comfort, driving and living for extended periods.

Many thanks.
Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Take a ride in a diesel pusher, then a ride in a gas engine rig with the engine 18" from your thigh. The choice couldn't be easier since you've stated that you are disregarding cost, power etc. Diesel will generally have air suspension for comfort, air brakes, etc.

Ken
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Corncob,
Like he said. Now, the gasser's have improved over the years in terms of engine noise etc. They're acceptable at the operating noise level that most are now. But, it is so very true, the D/P is still considerably more quiet. The ride, well it's definitely a marked improvement over our last rig. Since most diesel rigs weigh more in the first place, the frames are thicker, the wheels and tires are larger, and everything else related is larger, that equates to a softer ride and, equipped with air bag suspension, that makes it even better.

Because many of the diesel rigs have the front door beside and in front of the passenger, and the steering axle is adjusted differently than a gas unit, the turning radius is, in most cases, considerably shorter than a gas rig. One our recent trip through CA, NV, AZ, UT, CO, NM, AZ and back to CA, we found diesel many times in the $3.67 range. The price for regular gas was right a long with it. Now, the oil, well that's a bit different. We take 19 quarts in our rig, a 330 CAT C-7.

So, when it comes to changing oil, it's only a bit more expensive, at least in our rig anyway. So, hope this helps some.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have had both, gas and diesel the comparison is really hard as they are two different animals. Diesel is far more expensive to buy and maintain and requires specialty shops. Gas in California is in the $3.70 range and diesel is 4 bucks plus. The extra money for a diesel gives you a quieter, smoother more powerful ride. Floor plan may be more important.
An Itasca is usually sold as a complete rig whereas a Winnebago can be ordered the way you want it, basically they are the same.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

IMHO there is really no comparison at all for comfort, driving and living comfort and if cost is disregarded there's only one choice.... a DP.

Ignoring costs is a big hurdle to get over though.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Well, you said "Disregarding cost" I will only comment, Based upon the age of the DP's and Gassers I see, I'm not sure there is a difference (long term) worth regarding.

The engine in the rear means a quieter ride

But to me the one big (Well two really) Difference(s) are capacity (Towing and Cargo) The DP's tend to be able to pull upwards of 10,000 pounds, Most gassers max at 5,000, and where as my gasser has a CCC of under 1,000 pounds (just over since there are just 2 of us) the DP may well have 5 times that.

If I had it to do over.. and had the "up front" cash.. I would seriously consider Diesel.

(Oh, One additional consideration in my case: I know gas engines, i've torn them down to their components and put 'em back together and had 'em go Varoom again. never done that with a diesel,, Have started and driven,,, ONE TIME,, but that is all)
Old 10-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have a gas Winnebago Adventurer 38ft 2005 workhorse and I tow a Saturn Vue. I have a happy camper. I can travel over the California mountains at 50 to 55 mph. It is easy to drive and relatively easy to find service. I don't worry about gas additives, and I don't put on enough miles to really justify a DP (in my mind), I have about 32k miles to date. I can count on about 7mpg. With a good tail wind on a flat good road at 55mph maybe I can get 8mpg. Over the mountains, closer to 5mpg. I figure my trips at 7mpg, but that is a rough number.
If I had a diesel I could tow a much heavier car and with the additional weight capacity I would probably opt for an all electric (residental frig) which requires a larger battery bank.
But in general, with my gas motorhome we are happy campers.
Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have to say that "disregarding cost" limts the conversation. If you can afford a new or recently used DP you are probably getting a much more fancy coach. DP's tend to be a higher end manufacture with heavier construction and ammenities.

I have a 10 year old gasser. Just drove from VA to CA where we are staying a few weeks and then back across. Towed just fine, rode fine on most roads, but where the highway got rough...ugh. I am sure a DP would have ridden I-40 through OK City much better. It just tore my arms up.

In the end you have to figure what you can afford. (this coach was what I could pay for at this point.) When you have the $$ figured out you can look at floorplans and get behind the wheel of each and sort out what you like/don't like.

Just the like the argument over Ford/Chevy, Canon/Nikon, 5th wheel/Class A, TT/5th etc...there is no pat answer.
2912N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Take cost out of it: Diesel, no question.

It's why I have a gasser---not worth the extra money for a diesel given the usage we were going to give it------but if money made no difference I would have the biggest diesel they make---15 slides; up, down and sides, hot tub, electric hub caps, power closet doors and a bidet---the works. And I'd tow me a Caddy------white side wall tires---if money was out of the equation.

Now mind you my gasser gets us where we want to go and when ----we like it fine. More than fine---and we can afford it------with $ to spare.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

"This question is more about comfort, driving and living for extended periods."

Given those criteria there is no reason to look at gas motor homes. Diesel motor homes are just better with the exception of cost. A motor home needs torque not high hp at high rpms. Diesel motors give you far more torque because that is the nature and engineering of the motors. Diesel motors of the same size also extract more mpg's than gas. Most diesel pushers have air ride vs UPS-truck ride on gas rigs. That is not the fault of the gas motor but the way the coach is engineered.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Air brakes on a DP. Also the air ride makes a difference on our failing highways.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

I chose gas over diesel primarily because I do not put on lots of miles. I full time for six months in Canada, store the RV here, then off to Arizona by car to condo for the other six.
The thing I do miss is the pass thru storage bins that the pushers have. While my rig has ample bin storage, it does not accommodate long/wider items nearly as well as a dp.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:29 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Itasca has some options not offered on Winnebago, same coaches, made on the same lines at the factory. Diesel is more expensive to maintain , has a better ride. We are going back to a gasser next time as we have not been putting the hi miles on a coach as we have done in the past.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:03 AM   #14

We have owned/rented many motorhomes; The diesel is by far the best investment you can make;, I hear tell of maintenance cost. My neighbor was a maintenance machanic for a major truck line. ; He said they NEVER changed oil . Only at 100,000 miles. The cat/cums. is near 15000. miles gas engines are near 3000 miles. so the maintenance is about the same. As is( as stated in prior post) the fuel. Now diesel mileage is A bit better, In the caravans gas 7/8;; diesel 8/9. Diesel rig you pay a little more when you buy , and get a bit more when you sell..; The bottom line is, You do the shopping and buy what you are happy with and in your budget. Having owned both. I will go with a diesel. It fits us better. and I can hear the wife when she is talking while we are driving.. Not so with most gas rigs, Life is good.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:17 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

My newer 38' Winnie on a Gas chassis is perfectly quiet underway. Can barely hear the engine. Can hear just fine, even on a grade at 4k rpm.

The argument about noisey front end gassers is probably valid for older models but is bogus for the newer ones like mine.

safe travels
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:17 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago; Itasca---haven't a clue?

Comfort, driving and living for extended periods----- diesel----not at the expense of gassers because many of us are comfortable, drive just fine and live for extended periods without a smidgen of remorse for doing so.

All the observances so far are pertinent and seem to favor diesel; I believe fairly so.

But sometimes the differences are personal and quite small---trifling---but important.

I personnaly have never seen a diesel that does not leak----many leak incessently-----and it would just drive me crazy. It drives me crazy that my neighbors diesel is leaking in his driveway right now------the motor oil equivalent of Lake Erie.

We remain quite content with our decision to buy what we did---and also remain on our original mission to take good care of it and wear it out. When the MH gives out then so do we. She's runnin' just fine---and has not leaked a drop in nine years.

PS: save your ire I'm not suggesting ALL diesels leak---I am saying what is true that I have never seen one that does not leak.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Diesel without a question. Once you cross over to "the dark side" you never seem to want to go back. Some reasons, discounting power and cost as you asked are: larger inverter, air bag ride, on board air compressor, less flammable fuel.

As far as Winnebago or Itasca it makes no difference to me.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Many thanks to all for the good input/comments.
Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I know this seems "against the grain" but I would choose gas over Diesel almost every time. The modern gas coaches will run a very long time and have all the features of most Diesel ones. These forums are full of service issues with Diesel coaches and all the systems they have. They are not cheap to maintain...if you want a more trouble free ownership experience-consider this point.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
I know this seems "against the grain" but I would choose gas over Diesel almost every time. The modern gas coaches will run a very long time and have all the features of most Diesel ones. These forums are full of service issues with Diesel coaches and all the systems they have. They are not cheap to maintain...if you want a more trouble free ownership experience-consider this point.
So which is it? Do the gas rigs have "all the features of most Diesel ones" or are they "full of service issues with Diesel coaches and all the systems they have" You can't have the features without the systems.

How do you run the endless diesel hot water on gasoline? Do you have an air compressor on your gas engine for the comfortable air bag suspension, and airing up tires? How about the engine hump you get to step over each time you leave the drivers seat with that quiet gasoline engine that you can hardly hear.

The gas coaches are running so long now that I hear over the road truckers have found them to be more economical. What with all that massive maintenance expense of the diesels, they are now making gasoline engine Kenworths and Peterbuilts. (sorry, disregard this paragraph, it contains sarcasm and an attempt at humor)

I wonder why commercial business's buy so many mid-size diesel trucks for delivery use. If gasoline is so economical, why are they buying diesel? Perhaps because they track cost per mile and find the diesel actually is better?

Gassers have their advantages. There are good gas engine coaches out there. They are not on the same level as the better diesel coaches, and the initial poster did say price wasn't a factor. I don't believe the titans of industry are all stupid and paying extra for a diesel engine when the gasoline engine is just as good.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas