Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-23-2022, 07:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question New owner with 2007 Voyage 33 V

Sorry for the naive question but can anyone tell me where the starter chassis battery is on this unit?
Also, what size, group etc it may be?

This unit is a Ford V10, F53 ?

Thanks
dsmturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 09:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the group and related to the other post you have, let me say that you are already doing your part for the forum success!
It takes answers but first there has to be QUESTIONS, so see how you've helped already?

But there is a lot of info here and figuring out how to access it is a big start. So first let me post up a small snip of the drawings that Winnebago puts online for us.
Click this small picture to see where the battery lies and then I will try to share how you can get to lots of that sort of info when you need it later!

To get to wiring info:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm
Parts info and lots of help on where things are hidden:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
And the famous plumbing section:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...m/Plumbing.htm

So to get to "where is the battery"?
I went to wiring, sorted for your specific RV, looked for chassis wiring installation. Sometimes it takes a few misses to get the right place until you find how they may have sorted chassis versus coach things.
So you get to this drawing:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_157965.pdf

And then you have two choices on drawing, the first being the Ford chassis and second the Chevy/Workhorse, so looking at sheet one, you can spot the one start battery along side the two coach batteries! Front bumper being to the left! Maybe in a compartment below steps or behind a compartment door?

So that may help find it and once found the existingbattery will often have a label on it to ID the size, etc.

One big item to keep in mind is that batteries and their care is one vital point that often needs better unsderstaning as we use them so differently in Rv, that we often mess it up and ruins agood battery before we get all the knowledge on what works best.

Hope that helps and do ask lots of questions if not fully up on batteries as they do get tricky on the RV! I'm thinking about 50% of new RV folks do lose/damage the first set or two of batteries before the get it worked out!
Just hoping to warn you of a few things we often see here on the forum!

Not terribly hard but definitely different to keep them charged and in good shape longer. Enjoy the tripping!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	182594  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 08:43 AM   #3
Site Team

I would expect the batteries to be under the steps. You should see a latch below the front lip of one of your entry steps. Release the latch and lift up and out on the step tread.

As to group size, I’m not sure but would expect a Group 31 or Group 27 at the smallest.
Old 04-24-2022, 02:01 PM   #4
Site Team

I needed to do some battery wiring today so I added some water to the cells while I was at it.

I was able to note the Ford part number for the chassis (starting) battery in my 2017 F53 and it's a battery they've used up until the new V8 chassis was introduced in 2019. So, it's quite possible that it's the same as yours.

The battery number is BXT-65-750. Which means it a Group 65 and has 750 CCA rating. I did a search online and founds lots or replacement batteries for it but it seems that exact part is discontinued now.

NAPA had a very similar Group 65 with 850 CCA for $159 and they list it as a replacement for the BXT-65-750.

Of course, you should check your battery to be sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4292.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	464.6 KB
ID:	182603  
Old 04-24-2022, 02:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the info. I did locate batteries in stepwell. Dealer replaced start battery with a cheap Group 24 and it is dead, a short I think. My brother tested it for me with his battery charger. Yes, it is supposed to have a Group 65, thanks.

Dealer also only installed 1 house battery. The one in there says RV 27 so I am assuming that it is the correct battery. If anyone can let me know if an RV 27 should work well, I will grab 2 of them.

Edit: Is an RV 31 the same size physically?

Bryan
dsmturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 02:58 PM   #6
Site Team

A group 27 will only provide about 80 ah of storage. A group 31 will give you 100 ah and sometimes a bit more.

Two batteries connected in Parallel and you'll have 200ah with the G31. Keep in mind for battery longevity it's best to only discharge your House batteries to 50% state of charge. This means with 2-100 ah batteries you've actually got 100ah usable. And with two 80 ah G27 you only have 80 ah of the 160 ah you have in the bank.

Many people will recommend two 220 ah 6v batteries wired in Series. This will give you 220 ah at 12v with the Series wiring.

Also, your dealer probably only wants to put in Marine/RV batteries. These are not as robust as true Deep Cycle batteries and they are cheaper which is why the dealer wants to put in that G27 "RV."

The "work well" description depends entirely how you use your RV. If you always camp where there is shore power available, then yes, it should be OK. And, yes! Two of them is pretty much a must.

If you want to do any dry camping you'll find yourself looking for more amp hours and so, 2-100ah 12vs or 2-220ah 6vs are a good starting place.

Lastly, the "RV" battery will only last a couple of years. But if you pay extra for a true deep cycle battery, and you take care of it, it will last twice as long or longer.

NOTE: 6v Batteries are always true deep cycle as they are used in Golf Carts and Fork Lifts, etc.

Do some more research there is LOTS to learn about RV batteries.
Old 05-04-2022, 04:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

The batteries are under the steps. There are 2 or 3 batteries. The one most forward is the chassis battery. You will also see a knife switch there so you easily can disconnect it so it doesn't discharge. You should disconnect it while 'camping' so it will be available for starting the RV when you want to go home.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all your info Flash and CreativePart and Morich.
Yes the batteries are under the step. There was a really cheap chinese battery for chassis that shorted out. I do not think there is a battery cutoff switch (knife switch) there. I may have to look into installing one there.
There is only one house battery so I am installing another. The one in there is an RV 27, but I may install an RV 31 as the second house battery if it fits. Unless I go with true deep cycle batteries.
Would anyone happen to know the Group # for a replacement Deep cycle for the RV 27? I will see what I get when I google.
Thanks

Tags
voyage