Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Angry Rust behind storage doors 2007 Voyage

Has anyone experienced Rust on the face of the basement storage compartments, behind the locking doors? I purchased a new 2007 Voyage in January and have noticed rust on most of the seams between the compartments when the doors are open. The rust is at the bottom of the seam between the compartments.
I have noticed a significant amount of rust/corrosion on the under carriage as well. The coach had 700 miles on it when I took delivery, so whatever is going on seems to have occurred while sitting on the dealers lot.
The dealer is located in Little Rock, AR so should not have been a salt issue.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda2405 View Post
Has anyone experienced Rust on the face of the basement storage compartments, behind the locking doors? I purchased a new 2007 Voyage in January and have noticed rust on most of the seams between the compartments when the doors are open. The rust is at the bottom of the seam between the compartments.
I have noticed a significant amount of rust/corrosion on the under carriage as well. The coach had 700 miles on it when I took delivery, so whatever is going on seems to have occurred while sitting on the dealers lot.
The dealer is located in Little Rock, AR so should not have been a salt issue.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
it is possible it was in a flood. it could have been damaged anywhere in the usa, then transported to AR. maybe you can do a carfax search with the vin number.
you should check the engine, transmission and especially the differential oil for contamination.
you should grease all the fittings on the u joints and front end. clean the jack pistons with auto transmission fluid. i don't know if there are grease fittings in other places on your moho.
depending on how high the water got, you may have electrical problems.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yoda 2405,
This has come up in the past and a quick answer would be when the coach was actually built and if in the winter months then it was most likely delivered from Forest City on salt covered roads. The problem then is most if not all dealers do not power wash the entire under carriage of the coach and remove all the salt before the damage starts. Many discussions on the old version of IRV2 about rust on coaches never thought to be driven on salt covered roads.
KennethM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:13 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The issue of rust is covered here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/rust-43108.html

and here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/rust-45896.html

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
GG1
Winnie-Wise

As long as its nearly new complain to your dealer ask to have them get a factory rep to look at it maybe they can do something for you. Do this before it gets any older. Also a product called POR-15 works good check out their web site.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I am in CA and also purchased a new 2007 Voyage 35L in Jan. There is surface rust on the tail pipes, mufflers and on most unpainted steel fastners underneath around the rear axle. I believe that this is simply because it was driven here from Forest City in the winter over salty roads and not washed underneath when it arrived. I have not seen any rust on the body or where you describe. I had a local Workhorse repair shop check with Workhorse about the exhaust system rust and the response was as expected, Workhorse said that road salt is beyond their control and the dealer is responsible. I spent considerable time under the coach when we were considering the purchase and made an offer using the rust issue as a bargaining chip
I agree with GG1 that having a Winnebago Rep. look at it would be wise. We live in an area where rust is not a big problem and after wire brushing and lubricating the rusted areas, not the exhaust, I am not concerned any longer.
Enjoy your new coach, we sure do like ours!
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

My dealer has been almost worthless. I have gone to Winnebago direct on a couple items and they have been pretty responsive, will try contacting them direct and see if they will assist.
Jim, we have made 2 trips each a bit over 1,000 miles and have enjoyed the coach a lot. We now have about 3500 miles on it and really enjoy the king bed, that is what sold my wife on the coach.
My unit is on the Ford chassis, which had a differential issue on delivery which Ford corrected. I am getting a bit over 7 mpg, driving 65 or so. How does that compare to the Workhorse chassis mileage? MPG has improved about .5 mpg since delivery, hope it improves a bit more.

Thanks,
Old 06-29-2009, 06:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Hi, based on my previous experience with a side wall problem on a Southwind Storm (Fleetwood), once the Dealer has decided not to help, dealing with the manufacturer works. The key is finding the right representative at Winnebago, digital pictures emailed to that person, and persistence on your part. From what I have read and my few questions, I believe that Winnebago is very interested in good customer service.
As far as gas mileage, we are about the same. We have serious mountain grades to deal with here and tow a Chevy Tracker. On average our mileage is between 6.8 to 7.5. These things are simply going to drink fuel, just the cost of doing business.
Enjoy your new Voyage and please feel free to contact me directly. I like the idea of being able to correspond with another 07 Voyage 35L owner.
Take care,
Jim
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Called Winnebago and they referred me to a local dealer. Made appointment and took coach to dealer today. They took pictures to send to Winnebago for authorization to sand blast the rusty areas, then primer and paint them. They indicated that is what Winnebago has authorized in other rust situations like mine. The Dealer also said the rust was due to the lack of proper service by the selling dealer when they originally took delivery of the coach, ship date January 07.
Will see how Winnebago responds and hope this helps control the rust, at leat on the visible surfaces. I will still work to reduce or eliminate the rust on the chassis extensions and structures that Winnebago added to the Ford chassis.
Will poast when work is done.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

You have a common problem that many Winnie owners have. I had the symptom on my 03 Adventurer and again on my 07 Journey. My guess is the sheet metal they use wasn't properly prepared when they painted it in assembly. I sanded the affected areas down and repainted with Rustoleum and it solved the problem.

It shouldn't happen, but that is part of the "joy" of RV ownership.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote