Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2005, 01:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We own a 2004 Winnebago, model 34D. We love the RV but would really like to change the bench seats in the kitchen into slide out drawers, at least on one side - taking off the cushions and lifting up the bench seats for the storage items is a little awkward at times - I was wondering if any of you have done this and if there are any specific directions for doing it. It looks as though you lose space with the drawer because of the brackets that support the bench seats, but unsure if there is a workaround that issue or if it would be wrong to even attempt the change. Love to hear from any of you who have done this.
Thanks a lot
Darlene
Darlene7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We own a 2004 Winnebago, model 34D. We love the RV but would really like to change the bench seats in the kitchen into slide out drawers, at least on one side - taking off the cushions and lifting up the bench seats for the storage items is a little awkward at times - I was wondering if any of you have done this and if there are any specific directions for doing it. It looks as though you lose space with the drawer because of the brackets that support the bench seats, but unsure if there is a workaround that issue or if it would be wrong to even attempt the change. Love to hear from any of you who have done this.
Thanks a lot
Darlene
Old 04-11-2005, 04:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Darlene, You can cut an opening on the face of your dinette seat, an have someone make a draw face larger than your cut out opening, have it stained to match wood work. If you have fabric on face cut it with an x-cut the size of opening from corner to corner than glue or staple to reinforced panel. Reinforce the panel with 2x2's on floor an cut out opening. Your draw depth an length will have to be determined by you. You have to allow space for your draw guides an a board for them to attach to. I have added draws in long deep cabinets so DW could use all the space of cabinet. I put in a door in base of dinette, back 1/3d was dead space, an it was next to entrance door of coach. Didn't put in draw because space went front to back under seat crosswise. It can be done just plan it out, when your done you will be able to say "I DONE IT MYSELF" --"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 02:07 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Darlene 7, making better access under the dinette seats was one of the first mods I made on our 34D. In fact, I noticed the issue before we ordered the coach ('cause we've always got something sitting on the dinette benches), so I specially ordered two extra oak cabinet doors, just like the ones in the overhead of the main slide.
I can send you pics if you'd like. I did not put drawers or slides in there. All I did was make good looking "access doors" so I could easily get to stuff stored under the bench seat. My cabinet doors are hinged on the bottom side and are held in the vertical position with magnetic latches. Lowes has some gold handles that are almost a perfect match for the ones in the Brave. When I need something in there, the door opens downward and lies on the floor carpet. Frankly, I keep a pretty big & heavy rubbermaid container in there full of my motorhome tools (wrenches, sockets, pliers, etcetera), and I just slide it out as I need it.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Hi
Thanks for the info on making the drawers for the RV, would love to see pictures if you could send them, my email is: [email protected]. Again, thanks so much and hope to see your project. Will let you know how we do on ours.
Darlene
Old 05-04-2005, 04:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Darlene,
Our '99 Adventurer has the sliding drawers under the Dinette, my wife reminds me every time she uses them that they are wonderful. I don't have time to help with pictures but maybe you can find someone with an older coach at a Campout so you can see how Winnie did it.

Savannah, GA
Don-Savannah, GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 01:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We have had both configurations and personally we like the seats with the lift up cushions we have found that you can put a heck of a lot more in them than using drawers. And much bulkier items besides.IMHO

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 02:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have the cabinet door on the base , as well as top hatch and think it is a good setup.I have the sliding draws under my bed and are very bulky when and hard to open when full of heavy stuff.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Darlene, our coach has the storage drawers under the dinette seats. They are nice and afford a lot of space and since we seem to always have something on the seats, it makes it easier to access the items. They are very deep drawers. The drawer is wood with matching doors. The method Winnebago uses is a tongue and groove for the slide. I would have preferred a roller bearing slide. The drawer, when full, can be quite heavy to slide in and out since there is quite a lot of friction between the wood. If you can keep your seats free of items, the lift up seat on your coach may be a better way to access bulky and heavy items. I leep my tools in the drawers for easy access because if it is raining outside, I am afraid I'll melt away if I have to go outside to the basement storage( my attempt at humor). Unless you are a wood craftsman, the door will probably not look like "factory" and that may influence your coach's resale value should you decide to trade it in in the future. It has been my experience that manufacturers do not use off the shelf stains ... they prefer to mix up their own conctions .. and that may be another problem. Should you decide to add this drawer, maybe you can post a photo of your handiwork for others to see ... I for one, love to see other people's talents displayed. Good luck .. FrankieJ

2001 Adventurer 32V
FrankieJ is offline   Reply With Quote