Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2004, 03:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Anybody put a burgular alarm on their motorhome? We have 2004 Adventurer and would like to ad one if possible. I also would to see if there is a keyless entry system for the Adventurer
sprint213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Anybody put a burgular alarm on their motorhome? We have 2004 Adventurer and would like to ad one if possible. I also would to see if there is a keyless entry system for the Adventurer
sprint213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 05:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Sorry for the very late reply. Don't always get a chance to visit this board.

I wrote an article for Bus Conversion magazine on the subject of alarm systems for RVs. It covers tire pressure monitors, a new engine/generator fire detection system and intrusion alarm system. I have the article posted on my web site:

http://www.rvsafetysystems.com/Alarm%20article.htm

I market a wireless commercial level alarm system that makes a very good RV system because of its flexibility.

I would be glad to try to answer any questions you have.

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10
Bus Conversion Project details: http://www.rvsafetysystems.com/busproject.htm (updated 2/17/05)

'85 Eagle 10 Bus Conversion
Jim Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 06:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I haven't bought a security or alarm system yet, but have been looking at one for awhile trying to decide if I can justify it. Check this out, maybe it will help you.
www.desertsecurity.com
Good Luck
Ace
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Here's a link that works: http://www.desertsecurity.com/home
Old 05-09-2005, 03:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Anyone have the desert secutity system? If so, what do you think of it?
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:04 PM   #7

......wireless in homes was discontinued years ago because of batteries having to be changed all the time and battery failure....you can get a wired unite for less than $100 from radio shack......wire it yourself and you got a winner at a reasonable price.....don't believe the salesmans slogan "wires can be cut"....it's bullshit-plain and simple......no commercial system is radio controlled anymore....except the type used by very high security which is cell phone connected....geofkaye
Old 05-10-2005, 05:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Geofkay, I don't want to start a battle here, but your post is misleading.

Every major alarm system manufacturer has top quality wireless systems. The technology today is fantastic and folks should not be concerned about using this technology. Today's "commercial" systems are supervised where each transmitter reports its operating condition and battery status to the control console. No longer do folks need to worry about when to replace batteries. The system will let you know. The interval is measured in years not months.

In my article, I am very careful to differentiate between consumer level alarm systems and "commercial" level systems. I have a wired Radio Shack system in my home (my second one), but every time I go to RS they have a different vendor and none of them seem to be made to the quality level of the recognized industry leaders (Altronix, Caddx/GE, DSC, Napco, Linear, STI, etc). Most if not all of these companies are ISO 9001 certified and are the manufacturers that professional installers use.

I would be very interested in the source for your statement that wireless is no longer considered a valid technology (my words in an attempt to paraphrase your post).

'85 Eagle 10 Bus Conversion
Jim Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 03:45 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Wireless technology has become very sophistcated and reliable in the last 5 or so years. It is used, by some security companies, almost exclusively. As Jim Shepherd said, wireless offers some supervision (batteries supervised, and each window, door, and motion detector transmitter "check in" to the control, at timed intervals (in minutes), and any failure is reported at the keypad and (in the case of monitored systems), to the central.

BTW, I have been (and still am) full time in the security systems business for well over 30 years, and although we rarely use wireless, it does work well for many applications. Wired systems are lower in cost for the equipment, but more labor intensive than wireless, and offer additional security via full supervision.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:09 PM   #10

....I use only FBI unites and have never had a problem....which a competitor can't say cuz he is out of business....strickly a battery installer guy and was always saying...."wires can be cut"...For motorhomes I'd run the wires can't be more th an 4 hours work no matter how many add-ons....geofkaye