Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-23-2023, 06:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Jack Stands on Rear Axle

How do I place a jack stand on our 2018 Minnie Winnie 22R (E350 Super Duty chassis) by the rear leaf spring so I can remove the duals on one side? I need those wheels removed for convenient access to repair rust damage on the underneath storage bin. Vehicle is rated 7,800 lbs. rear and 4,600 front. Can I use a bottle jack on the axle between differential and leaf spring, then put the jack stand just inside the leaf spring (this is jack point in Ford manual, pg. 190)? My bottle jack and jack stands are both rated 12,000 lb. I've seen some comments to jack next to the leaf spring and put the jack stand just inside of that toward the differential. I have also seen suggestions to use a floor jack on the differential and lift both rear wheels off the ground at the same time. Thanks!
PadFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 07:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Either would seem likely to work but with some more thought as the rear is where the park brake holds, so some thought if you are on a slope as it can tend to roll if you lift all rear wheels off the ground.
I tend to like to leave one wheel down if it works but blocking the front wheels cando it okay.
A small point but if the lug nuts are tight and they normally are, I feel better to loosen them at least enough to break them loose before going hier on jacks or stands as it takes some torgue at times and I feel better knowing I'm not knocking it off some support.
But if you are used a gun, that may not be a problem?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 07:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

You'll need a monster of a floor jack to lift the entire rear at once BTDT. My Via 1 ton chassis weighs about the same, I lift one side at a time. I usually use the factory lift point which is right at the front of the leaf spring with a 20 ton air/hydraulic bottle jack then place the stand next to it, but that takes a lot of lifting because of the suspension hang. If you just want to remove the wheels and don't want the suspension to hang jack one side of the axle at a time then place the stands, that's how they do it at the tire shop. Even with jack stands in place I like to put a tire or wood blocks under there just in case.
If using a floor jack remember it has to roll as it lifts so work on concrete and keep the jack parallel with the wheels.
Old 04-23-2023, 09:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadFamily View Post
How do I place a jack stand on our 2018 Minnie Winnie 22% (E350 Super Duty chassis) by the rear leaf spring so I can remove the duals on one side? I need those wheels removed for convenient access to repair rust damage on the underneath storage bin. Vehicle is rated 7,800 lbs. rear and 4,600 front. Can I use a bottle jack on the axle between differential and leaf spring, then put the jack stand just inside the leaf spring (this is jack point in Ford manual, pg. 190)? My bottle jack and jack stands are both rated 12,000 lb. I've seen some comments to jack next to the leaf spring and put the jack stand just inside of that toward the differential. I have also seen suggestions to use a floor jack on the differential and lift both rear wheels off the ground at the same time. Thanks!
Sounds like a plan to me, go for it! But if you lift both sides off the ground, remember you'll need to use a sturdy chock on both sides of the front wheels.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote