Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-09-2022, 02:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Inverter Help! I can’t find it.

Hi O’ Knowledgeable Ones!!!!
This is our second full camping season with our 2000 Ford Chassis Adventurer. Not that it matters but it has been retrofitted and it has been a real treat to own and use. With all things new ( at least new to me ) there are questions. We have Norcold 3 way refrigerator and it appears not to be changing over to DC when travelling it has in past trips and so I am trying to determine if it is just the unit that needs a reset or possibly being an inverter issue. Sooooo! that said does has anyone else had this problem if so what was your fix? The other question I have does anyone know the location of the inverter? I have to found the converter and of course the Powerline energy management system. I just can’t find the inverter. I didn’t get all the supporting manuals and I have not been able to find any specific info online. Sooooo! Again HELP!!!
PoppaBlayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 03:30 PM   #2
Site Team

Do you have an inverter? A 2000 Adventurer would not likely have an inverter. But you say "it's been retrofitted" so maybe some previous owner added an inverter????

You also say that your RV Fridge is not changing over to DC when driving - Do you mean it's not changing over to Propane when driving? Some older gas absorption fridges had an AC/DC/GAS function, but most have Auto/AC/LP. Gas Absorption RV Fridges don't run very well on DC - which is why most are AC and LP.

Lastly, what model Adventurer do you have? I think maybe it's a 32v, is that correct? Your profile just says its a 32' Adventurer.

So, let's clear some of those things up so we can help you more effectively.

UPDATE: Looking at the 2000 Adventurer brochure it never came from the factory with an inverter. And, it describes the 3-fridge choices as Auto/AC/LP.
Old 07-09-2022, 04:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Assuming you have a 32V, a 130W inverter was optional and was intended to run only the TV and VCR. It has absolutely nothing to do with the refrigerator. My 2002 Itasca Suncruiser is the same as an Adventurer, has an inverter which is located in the overhead cabinet on the passenger side over the windshield with the entertainment system control box. Mine, which doesn't work, is also wired to power an outlet next to the passenger seat.

Of course, it's possible that a prior owner added an inverter and it's powering the refrigerator. If so, the refrigerator would be operating on 120V supplied by the inverter which runs off your batteries. The refrigerator plugs into an outlet underneath it. On mine I have to remove a drawer. If you do have a retrofitted inverter for the refrigerator, it's most likely located between this outlet and your house batteries, like your converter.

Were you told that the MH had been retrofitted with an inverter for the refrigerator? If not, I suspect you had your propane on when traveling during previous trips but not on this one. Of course it could also be a tripped 12V circuit breaker. There are other things that could be wrong but let's keep it simple for now.

If your converter is original, you should consider replacing it with a modern converter with a multi-stage charger. Your 2000 model will "cook" your batteries if you're on shore power for extended period. Here's what I replaced mine with:

https://www.hendersonslineup.com/blo...h%20rides%20on.

You might want to go to the user control panel (User CP) in the toolbar and set up a signature block like mine and creativepart's. That way we'll always know your year, make and model. Your 32V came standard with a Ford chassis but a Workhorse chassis was optional. The type of chassis is also useful in you signature:

You may also have a badge on the sidewall near the front that will tell you what chassis you have.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 04:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Sorry!
Kind of a newbie at this. Yes 32v. I really appreciate your answering so quickly. It never occurred to me to look at the brochure online (go figure.).We have some municipalities that don’t allow you drive with the LP on so I am guessing that it not showing that the fridge is working is because the propane was off.The other thing I tried to do was look on the Norcold site and there was a place to record the s/n and model and it would provide information about the unit but. But wasn’t able to get any info. The site was a Canadian site and one of the big three internet and mobile carriers has been down for several days so that might be why I couldn’t get any info. I am sure you are correct when you say it’s probably not a 3 way.
But you have answered all my questions it is permissible in the province I live in Alberta to have the LP on when moving so that’s what I am going to do.
I can’t thank you enough for your researching and answering my inquiry so quickly. This is a great site and being able to get help from folks like you is great
We lost our previous unit to a fire (not a Winnie) but as I said in my original post we are enjoying this one very much!
So thanks again Happy Camping!!
Old 07-09-2022, 04:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you!
As I said to the other responder what I thought I have and what I do have are two completely different things. Goes with learning about the unit. No one said there was an inverter was an assumption in my part.I am sure there isn’t an inverter. I looked in all the places that it reasonably might be and there isn’t one. I will definitely look into changing the converter and add the recommended info to my signature.
Thank again for your help!!!!
Old 07-09-2022, 04:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I'm guessing your Norcold is a 1200 model so here's a link to the service manual so you can download it. The service manual has a great troubleshooting section:

I couldn't find a link to the owner's manual but the service manual should have everything you need.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 06:54 PM   #7
Site Team

Bob's correct there might be a small inverter installed to run 110v TVs and SAT receiver's etc. I looked at the Operator's Manual and the Brochure and saw no inverter mentioned at all. But I do know that rather than install 12v TVs they did many times install very small 300w inverters just for this purpose.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:00 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaBlayne View Post
No one said there was an inverter was an assumption in my part.
These days, so many new RVs come standard with inverters and we all discuss them day in and day out. So, it's common to think this is a device we all have in our RVs. But for years inverters cost a small fortune and we didn't see a need to have them in our 12v RVs.

My motorhome was bought off the lot. It had a residential fridge and that was very high on our list of must haves. The things that go with that option never crossed my mind. But AFTER we purchased the RV I was handed the "Option List" for my build. And there was Residential Fridge, 2-Extra 100 ah AGM Batteries, a 100w solar panel, solar charge controller and 2000w Magnum inverter. All of that other gear was to support the residential fridge.

I thought, "Wow, that's good I have all that stuff." I had no idea when I bought the motorhome. After I realized what that all meant I realized I was so very lucky to not have to add all of that myself.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Yes I found it was obscured by the vcr and the electronics control unit tiny one. I just want to say again to both of you how grateful I am for your help, and advice.

Tags
inverter