Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-27-2023, 01:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Installing Inverter on a Micro Minnie 2108TB

I have a 2024 Mirco Minnie 2108TB trailer PRE WIRED for an inverter with a 200 watt solar charging system. Can anyone tell me what I have to do to install an inverter? Also, since it only comes with a single battery, has anyone either installed an additional battery or switched to a Lithium Battery? How long does it seem to power the trailer? I did try to leave the 12 volt power on to keep the 12 volt fridge going, but it went dead within a day. I had to attach a charger to the battery to get the Solar charging system to start back up.

(I admit that I am new to trailers. I sold my Phaeton as well as my Cruiser a few years ago and have only had class A or B+ coaches in the past. Needless to say, I am going thru a huge learning curve.)
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 05:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Humm, pre-wired for a inverter??? That's a new one on me. Where have you seen that listed as a feature? I'd like to check it out.

As to adding a 2nd battery to a TT, that is a super common addition people make. Many times a selling dealer will do that for you before you pick up the RV.

Here's a YouTube video of the process. It would be the same for any make of travel trailer (unless you have a special Lithium model like the FLX). This guy does everything correct... but you don't have to bolt the battery boxes down you can just use battery hold down straps. Also, you don't have to make your own battery cables you can buy them custom from a local auto shop or from Amazon even.

Old 11-27-2023, 05:34 PM   #3
Site Team

You also asked about Lithium (LFP) batteries... that's a great addition even if you only do one. And, your brand new TT is likely equipped to handle that change without buying anything else. You'll need to change some settings with your solar charger.

Don't ADD a LFP battery to a Lead Acid battery. You want it to be all LA or all LFP not mixed chemistries.

Running the fridge on battery overnight with one battery sounds about right. If you're getting plenty of solar you may recharge with that during the day. But you'll always need to have a backup power source when not plugged into shore power.
Old 11-28-2023, 08:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for your reply.

Thank you. I have the cables from my adding a second battery to one of my B+ coaches. The class "A " coaches all ran 6 volt batteries so they were run in a different configuration.

In the 2024 2108TB, located in the storage compartment is a large sticker stating it is prewired for an inverter. Unfortunately, like all manufacturers, there is no literature for how or where wiring is located. Nor any information as to what size inverter it can handle. Since I know the roof air cannot run off of battery or 200 watt solar, I assume that the largest inverter would be 2000 watts, but I 'm not sure if 1000 watts would still be enough. Then again, I would assume that if wired for an inverter, all power would go through the inverter, so 2000 would be needed.

Since the fridge is a 12volt residential unit, not a 12v/gas unit, the only things I would need to run on the inverter would be the TV and 110 volt outlets.

I also purchased a tray for the back hitch and a 5000 watt propane generator/inverter when I need the air conditioning and convection/mircrowave. When we had our other coaches we did a lot of boon docking. Actually, we spent the majority of our time off the gride.

So does anyone know where the wiring for the inverter is located and wiring directions? I am trying to not spend the $110 an hour for the RV dealer to install it when I am capable.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:36 AM   #5
Site Team

I recommend you call Winnebago Towables Customer Care: (574) 825-8052. See if they can send you a PDF of the wiring. That's your best bet for what that pre-wire looks like.

As to inverter size, it depends basically on what you want to run. To run the microwave will take a 2000w inverter and the two batteries. But you won't really get extended microwave time just a minute or two, unless you add more batteries or rather, more amp hours and output capacity. 1000w will handle everything but the microwave, but be careful with coffee makers and toaster ovens, too. Make sure they are under 1000w devices.

keep in mind that larger inverters require much heavier gauge wire connected to the batteries.

You are correct about A/C. You would need 600ah to 800ah and a 3000w inverter minimum. And likely 1000w of solar??

About the generator on the back, be very careful with hitch weight back there. The rear of a travel trailer has a much more severe up/down/side/side wagging motion under way than your motorhome did. It can be very hard on the rear hitch - you may want to have it beefed up by a competent welder. Also, be aware of the front hitch weight. Just double check that with the gen hung off the back doesn't lighten the hitch weight up front too much. Anything less than 10% of total weight can be very dangerous.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you again.

I will call the number.

Interesting what you say about the trailer hitch. When I told the RV dealer what I intended, he said it was no issue but I will inquire when I call the number, It wouldn't be the first time I got conflicting results.

The carrier weighs about 30 Lbs. and the generator is 100 lbs. Assuming I also carry a full 20 lbs tank at 37 lbs and an additional storage box with about 30 lbs, I will be adding about 200 lbs to the back of the trailer.

I have a load leveling hitch to attach to the tow vehicle. I may now need to have it adjusted to compensate, although I may be carrying another 200 lbs between the additional battery and the items stored in the front and only storage bin in the front of the trailer to even out the load.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:57 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
Interesting what you say about the trailer hitch. When I told the RV dealer what I intended, he said it was no issue....
I'm sure you know by now that if a dealer's lips are moving they are lying.

Just like they tell folks buying a 7500+lb trailer that a half-ton pickup is plenty.
Old 12-04-2023, 06:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We owed a 2022 Minnie and installed a inverter as well as a transfer switching system. If you plan on doing a lot of camping without being plugged in you will need the two batteries and the lithium batteries will be a must have. Two batteries will be needed for more power. If you have labeled on several recepticals in the RV then to have them working you will need a inverter. I got a 2000 watt inverter from Harber Freight and a small inverted from Amazon. I hope they improved the A frame on the trailer. We sold ours because the metal is so thin that after a while it will bend. You can go on U tube and see how the frame bends. I like Winnebago products but the company that makes the frame have really made a mistake on the A frame. When you attach the trailer to your vehicle watch the A frame it will bend up a little and after a while it will stay bent as it bounces as you drive. This is a very good web sight and a wealth of information.
Heavensplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 08:08 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for your reply.

I was a bit confused by your response. It said that you purchased a 2000 watt inverter from Harbor Freight, and then a 200 w inverter from Amazon. Did you mean something else?
Old 12-04-2023, 08:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Yes I did and I am so sorry for the misspelled words. It was written early in the morning. Anyway I asked you if your recepticals were marked for solar and if so they would work off your batteries with a inverter. I used a 2000 watt from Harber Freight pure sine wave only. I have years of experience with Solar systems. Anyway
you can get from Amazon a voltage transfer switch that will transfer 110 to your 12 volt Harber Freight system that will convert 12 volts to 110 to your particular recepticals. You can get a larger inverter from Amazon but they are very expensive. But it must be a pure sign wave system. There are special fuses used as well. But if you were to have this done by a electrician or RV dealer it will cost about $2500.00 plus parts. But it is time consuming but way cheaper if you do it about $500. I think there is a lady on You Tube that did the same thing on her Mini. Like you have. Do you know about the "A" frame on your trailer if they used heavier metal? Don't call the dealer but call Winnebago. I will see if I have a picture of my install of the Solar system for you.
Heavensplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 03:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
I will call the number.

Interesting what you say about the trailer hitch. When I told the RV dealer what I intended, he said it was no issue but I will inquire when I call the number, It wouldn't be the first time I got conflicting results.

The carrier weighs about 30 Lbs. and the generator is 100 lbs. Assuming I also carry a full 20 lbs tank at 37 lbs and an additional storage box with about 30 lbs, I will be adding about 200 lbs to the back of the trailer.

I have a load leveling hitch to attach to the tow vehicle. I may now need to have it adjusted to compensate, although I may be carrying another 200 lbs between the additional battery and the items stored in the front and only storage bin in the front of the trailer to even out the load.
Jason, Did you call Winnebago for the wiring diagram, and how did it go with them? I'm in the same boat as you for wiring in an inverter. Having a wiring diagram would make this task soooooo much easier! As mentioned, I'll probably size my inverter so it can handle the heaviest load, which would be the microwave. I doubt I'd have another 115v item plugged in while the microwave is running, but I should oversize the inverter a little provided the trailer wiring under that cover can handle the current. I'm a little skeptical after removing the cover and looking at what Winnebago put under there.
IdahoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, inverter