Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-17-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

When I purchased my Sunstar I did not realize that it came with a fire extinguisher. Being safety minded I had purchased one to put in the RV and now I have two. I am debating where to put the second one. Up by the driver? Outside in a storage basement where it will be handy around the campfire or cooking on the grill? Just wanted to see if other folks had two and their locations. Thanks

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

When I purchased my Sunstar I did not realize that it came with a fire extinguisher. Being safety minded I had purchased one to put in the RV and now I have two. I am debating where to put the second one. Up by the driver? Outside in a storage basement where it will be handy around the campfire or cooking on the grill? Just wanted to see if other folks had two and their locations. Thanks

2005 Honda Element
Old 01-18-2008, 01:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Congrats, on being safety minded. I think a third is necessary. One in the Bedroom, another near the inside cooking area and yes definetly one in a convenient outside compartment...Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have three additional larger sized extinguishers that I have added to my coach. One in the shallow cabinet in the galley, one mounted on the trim board of the hall wardrobe closet and another in the outside compartment by the propane tank. The small one by the entry door has also been replaced with a slightly larger one also.

I have been in a burning motorhome that was a total loss and can't state strongly enough the need for more extinguishers then come with the coach. I had a wheel fire that got out of control because the extinguisher that came with a coach did not have the capacity to keep putting out the flare ups until the assembly had cooled enough to stop reignighting or the fire department got there.

I am also seriously considering a central system for the engine, generator, fridge and water heater.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Yeah, I guess I can see where two isn't enough. I thought about the propane tank compartment but I have ruled that one out for two reason
1) The compartment can't be secured so someone could steal it
2) If there is a fire in that location I will be too busy running to reach into the flames and grab it

2005 Honda Element
Old 01-18-2008, 03:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I think your idea of placing the extinguisher ina outside compartment is a good one for the reasons you mentioned.

As to the amount of other extinguishers and locations mentioned, our old one was totalled when the engine area caught fire (Ford). We used a total of 12-13 extinguishers obtained from truckers and my own to keep it from burning up the coach prior to the Fire department showing up. My point is that you may not be able to carry anymore than enough to get the valuable things out - you and your significant other/s.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:42 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

First off, I encourage you to junk the dry chemical extinguishers and buy foam. Do a search for Mac McCoy - he does fire safety seminars at FMCA rallies and they are a real eye-opener.

The powder extinguishers make a huge mess and are difficult to clean up after. If whatever you dusted with the chemical is a total loss, cleanup doesn't matter of course.

We found foam extinguishers at a Home Depot store in Florida a couple of years ago, but I can't find any here in Kerrville.

We installed an extinguisher in the bedroom, one near the front door, and very importantly carry one in the toad. I don't have one in an outside compartment because we have one near the door and one in the car.

Once an RV fire gets going, the only thing to do is to egress as quickly as possible. Have a bag staged near the door with important papers that can be quickly grabbed while you are fleeing.

--Edit: Here is a link to the foam extinguishers Mac sells.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:01 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

John, I like the idea of the small bag. We routinely discuss with the kids what to do in case of fire and it rarely involves trying to fight it. The discussion is mainly about what windows are big enough to get out of, how far away to get and to call 911.

2005 Honda Element
Old 01-18-2008, 04:30 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

In our class C, we have 3 - one by the cab over bunk that the kid could easily reach and knows how to use, one by the door, and one in the back bedroom.

In our park trailer, we only have the one by the door but will be adding two more this spring - one in each of the bedrooms.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:57 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

We also have several extra fire extinguishers. The original by the door, one in the bedroom, another in an outside storage compartment and like John one in the toad. We put the outside one in the storage compartment in the main slide. That way there's one accessible from either side.

Hopefully we'll never have to use any of them, but they're there just in case. Being safety minded (or maybe paranoid) we have 5 more at the house.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:37 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I have placed an outside extinguisher in the propane compartment for the express reason that it cannot be locked. I don't want to have to get into a locked compartment if I need it. Not only am I not concerned about someone stealing it I have put a decal on the door announcing the fact there is a fire extinguisher inside.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:20 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

good point that I had not considered

2005 Honda Element
Old 01-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We also carry one outside, in the Compartment by the door, where I also carry our supply of BBQ Gas Bottles, the small jobbers from Wally.
I was thinking today about getting a Decal to put on that door just in case. Saying like,"LP Bottles stored inside" or some such. I also want to put one on the LP Access Door back aft.
We have 3 15# ABC's now but thinking about a deluge system for the Engine Compartment.

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:45 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Navy Flier, put it in the LP compartment last night. Your logic made a lot of sense. Thanks

2005 Honda Element