Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-07-2020, 05:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2021 Navion 24J Weight

We just bought a navion 24j loaded with food, tools, food and everything we thought will need for a trip from Georgia to CA, we went to CAT scale and the results: steer axle 3780lb; drive axle 7640lb, trailer axle 00, total axle 11420lb
Wonder if someone can help us with some explanation. Don’t know if we are above the recommendation.
Thanks
Jrodri1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
what model year?

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

2021 navion 24J Winnibago
Old 12-07-2020, 06:32 PM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrodri1981 View Post
We just bought a navion 24j loaded with food, tools, food and everything we thought will need for a trip from Georgia to CA, we went to CAT scale and the results: steer axle 3780lb; drive axle 7640lb, trailer axle 00, total axle 11420lb
Wonder if someone can help us with some explanation. Don’t know if we are above the recommendation.
Thanks
I looked it up online, and it says 1130 GVWR, so you’re a tad over, but I don’t know on which axle, because they didn’t break it out in the spec sheet.

That said, there should be a sticker, near the door or driver’s seat that lists the maximum with per axle.

How full was your liquids? Gas, fresh water, dump tanks?
Old 12-07-2020, 06:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Thanks
There's a sticker on the driver's door or doorpost that should list the GAWR that you can compare to, along with GVWR. Unfortunately it's a little different for each unit, but the doorpost values should be correct (don't rely on factory brochures - they're generic). Look for the sticker that has Winnebago on it versus something strictly by the chassis manufacturer. I've included the sticker that is on my brother's 2007 View with the pertinent information outlined.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9553.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	176153  
Old 12-07-2020, 06:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks
according to winnebago the 24J (they don't specify model year) is rated as follows:

Front GAWR: 4410 lbs
Rear GAWR: 7720 lbs
GVWR: 11,030 lbs
GCWR: 15,250 lbs
Hitch Rating: 5,000 but max tow weight assuming MH at GVWR is 4220 lbs

looks like your axle weights are ok but you're over the GVWR...which doesn't make sense to me. the sum of the GAWRs should equal the GVWR but they don't. they total 1,130-lbs more. i've seen some cases where 10% of the hitch rating (500-lbs in your case) is added to the axle ratings. but the sum of your axle ratings plus 500-lbs is still 600-lbs less than the GVWR Winny is showing.

https://www.winnebago.com/models/pro...class-c/navion

i'd call Winny tech support in the morning and ask about this. i'm really curious where the extra 1,130-lbs are. their number is 1 (800) 537-1885. maybe the published specs are wrongo for the 2020 model. pls let me know what you find out.

Old 12-07-2020, 06:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
There's a sticker on the driver's door or doorpost that should list the GAWR that you can compare to, along with GVWR. Unfortunately it's a little different for each unit, but the doorpost values should be correct (don't rely on factory brochures - they're generic). Look for the sticker that has Winnebago on it versus something strictly by the chassis manufacturer. I've included the sticker that is on my brother's 2007 View with the pertinent information outlined.
good points. when you do your weights be sure you load the MH as you would for travel. for is that's full fresh water and lp tanks, clothes, supplies, food, stuff and us. people count. if you're gomma weigh...and congrats on wanting to be safe...do it right. 4-corner weights are best but axle weights will do.

Old 12-07-2020, 06:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thank you we will call Winnibago
Old 12-07-2020, 06:50 PM   #9
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
according to winnebago the 24J (they don't specify model year) is rated as follows:

Front GAWR: 4410 lbs
Rear GAWR: 7720 lbs
GVWR: 11,030 lbs
GCWR: 15,250 lbs
Hitch Rating: 5,000 but max tow weight assuming MH at GVWR is 4220 lbs

looks like your axle weights are ok but you're over the GVWR...which doesn't make sense to me. the sum of the GAWRs should equal the GVWR but they don't. they total 1,130-lbs more. i've seen some cases where 10% of the hitch rating (500-lbs in your case) is added to the axle ratings. but the sum of your axle ratings plus 500-lbs is still 600-lbs less than the GVWR Winny is showing.

https://www.winnebago.com/models/pro...class-c/navion

i'd call Winny tech support in the morning and ask about this. i'm really curious where the extra 1,130-lbs are. their number is 1 (800) 537-1885. maybe the published specs are wrongo for the 2020 model. pls let me know what you find out.
That’s because each axle can handle more load than the entire vehicle. So the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is often lower than the two Gross Axle Weight Ratings combined.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
That’s because each axle can handle more load than the entire vehicle. So the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is often lower than the two Gross Axle Weight Ratings combined.
that's a new one on me.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:27 PM   #11
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
that's a new one on me.
Here are the specs for my Intent. Note the same type of discrepancy in GVWR and the two combined GAWR. My combined axles add up to 1,500 more than what the entire vehicle can handle, assuming they were both loaded to capacity. This gives one room to shift weight forward and aft, to meet the specs.

I annotated it in red to account for fluids. It’s amazing how that liquid weight adds up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	997C6108-D528-4666-AF13-966AB2038C54.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	176154  
Old 12-07-2020, 07:43 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Here are the specs for my Intent. Note the same type of discrepancy in GVWR and the two combined GAWR. My combined axles add up to 1,500 more than what the entire vehicle can handle, assuming they were both loaded to capacity. This gives one room to shift weight forward and aft, to meet the specs.

I annotated it in red to account for fluids. It’s amazing how that liquid weight adds up!
i'm having trouble wrapping my head around that. you can't load each axle to its max without violating the gvwr. what's the point?

Old 12-07-2020, 07:48 PM   #13
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
i'm having trouble wrapping my head around that. you can't load each axle to its max without violating the gvwr. what's the point?
It’s simply that the threshold for the weight of the entire coach, is less than the max weight each axle could handle. So you can’t max out each axle’s weight, but you can move weight around, to get under the axle weight, just can’t load them both simultaneously to their respective max axle weights.

Good news is, he knows exactly how much to inflate his tires to now. Just read the Winnebago placard, it lists the tire pressure for max weight.

Add a toad, and that could drop even further.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:09 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

a flat-towed vehicle has little effect on axle weight (other than a tad bit of tongue weight). i understand what you're saying but not being able to load to the axle weight ratings, both axles, seems akin to a $1.00 candy bar shrinking in size but still costs $1.00.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:40 PM   #15
Site Team

Hi Jrodri1981,
With a load of 11,420 pounds and a GVWR of 11,030, you are only 3½% overloaded. I would just add 3½% to your recommended tire pressures, and not worry about it.
Eagle5
P.S. Do NOT collect rocks on your way cross-country:
Old 12-08-2020, 12:14 AM   #16
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi Jrodri1981,
With a load of 11,420 pounds and a GVWR of 11,030, you are only 3½% overloaded. I would just add 3½% to your recommended tire pressures, and not worry about it.
Eagle5
P.S. Do NOT collect rocks on your way cross-country:
I disagree. So you’ll need to ferret this out for yourself, since there isn’t an overwhelming consensus.

You don’t base your tires pressure on an overloaded vehicle. You don’t exceed the maximum rating or pressure. There are so many consequences, legally if you’re involved in an accident, lawyers will crush you if you’re out of bounds.

Or, you simply get weighed at a CHP weigh station, then you’ll be fined.

Or, you’re involved in an accident, and the attorneys find that your overladen vehicle might have been a contributing factor...

While I agree, the rig can probably handle the small over weight, can your conscience? When I get to that point, I simply jettison some fresh water, as I’m always at my limit, weight wise.

One must weigh the risk/rewards...
Old 12-08-2020, 12:16 AM   #17
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
a flat-towed vehicle has little effect on axle weight (other than a tad bit of tongue weight). i understand what you're saying but not being able to load to the axle weight ratings, both axles, seems akin to a $1.00 candy bar shrinking in size but still costs $1.00.
Guys, it’s all in the specs. Just follow them. And there’s a spec for that too..
Old 12-08-2020, 07:22 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Two more examples. While not from a Class A, B or C motorhome, these are used as tow vehicles. Values are off the sticker on the vehicle:

2017 Ford Explorer (nephew's vehicle)
GVWR: 7,260
GAWR (F & R): 3,300 + 4,250 = 7,550

Total GAWR is greater than GVWR.

2012 Ford F250 (Our truck used as tow vehicle)
GVWR: 10,000
GAWR (F & R): 4,550 + 6,100 = 10,650

Total GAWR is greater than GVWR.

This is unlike a travel trailer, where some of the GVWR is "taken up" by the hitch or king pin weight, thus the total GAWR is often less than the GVWR.
Old 12-12-2020, 12:11 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Motorhomes only get weighed (in theory) in Utah but have never seen one at a weigh station in that state. Same applies to every other state I have traveled through. If one gets in a wreck the local LEO is not going to insist on having the MH towed to a weigh station - get real.

If the driver is under the influence of anything, including proscribed medications, or is speeding or driving in a reckless manner or has bald tires then a LEO could issue a citation even if no accident has taken place.

With regard to weight, the factory tires have a load capacity based on an inflation pressure of 80 PSI. Lower than that the load capacity is reduced and with more sidewall flexing there is a greater chance of a tire failing suddenly and without warning. Winnebago recommends 61 PSI for all 6 tires which is clearly wrong and my 2021 Navion came from the factory with all 6 tires at 80 PSI.

Neither the people at the dealer or the people at Winnebago could give me a straight answer about the best tire pressures to use and the reality is that once the chassis and cab are delivered to a modifier like Winnebago, Mercedes takes a hands off approach.

I plan to run the tires at 80 PSI to minimize problems with overheated tires and to have less sway while driving on the road. If I see a wear pattern at the front tires that indicates they are at too high a pressure I will adjust it.

When it comes to GVWR it is based on the entire vehicle and its weakest points. When pickups started to increase in tow capacity the frames were made stronger and the transmissions improved and the braking capacity was increased. With the pickups the payload rating though is limited primarily by the springs, wheels, and tires. A 1-ton pickup with an axle rated at 11,000 lbs will have a calculated payload rating of only 2500 lbs and this is based on the springs and the wheels and the tires, all of which are easily upgraded, along with the subtraction of 150 lbs for each passenger seat in the cab (which is why the "payload capacity" for a regular cab truck is so much higher than for the same truuck with a crew cab that seats 6.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 03:40 PM   #20
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkman View Post
Motorhomes only get weighed (in theory) in Utah but have never seen one at a weigh station in that state. Same applies to every other state I have traveled through. If one gets in a wreck the local LEO is not going to insist on having the MH towed to a weigh station - get real.

If the driver is under the influence of anything, including proscribed medications, or is speeding or driving in a reckless manner or has bald tires then a LEO could issue a citation even if no accident has taken place.

With regard to weight, the factory tires have a load capacity based on an inflation pressure of 80 PSI. Lower than that the load capacity is reduced and with more sidewall flexing there is a greater chance of a tire failing suddenly and without warning. Winnebago recommends 61 PSI for all 6 tires which is clearly wrong and my 2021 Navion came from the factory with all 6 tires at 80 PSI.

Neither the people at the dealer or the people at Winnebago could give me a straight answer about the best tire pressures to use and the reality is that once the chassis and cab are delivered to a modifier like Winnebago, Mercedes takes a hands off approach.

I plan to run the tires at 80 PSI to minimize problems with overheated tires and to have less sway while driving on the road. If I see a wear pattern at the front tires that indicates they are at too high a pressure I will adjust it.

When it comes to GVWR it is based on the entire vehicle and its weakest points. When pickups started to increase in tow capacity the frames were made stronger and the transmissions improved and the braking capacity was increased. With the pickups the payload rating though is limited primarily by the springs, wheels, and tires. A 1-ton pickup with an axle rated at 11,000 lbs will have a calculated payload rating of only 2500 lbs and this is based on the springs and the wheels and the tires, all of which are easily upgraded, along with the subtraction of 150 lbs for each passenger seat in the cab (which is why the "payload capacity" for a regular cab truck is so much higher than for the same truuck with a crew cab that seats 6.
I didn’t say that an LEO would have your RV towed to be weighed, but clearly you are underestimating what could happen in an accident where people were severely injured, or died. Any good personal injury lawyer, and even a good Insurance Lawyer will leave no stone unturned. How do I know this? Because one of my good friends does this type of investigation for the Insurance company she works for. The stories she has told me when meeting with attorneys here in CA about claims, who was at fault and the dollar amount involved in these types of lawsuits is in the millions.
So, it is real...

Tags
weight