Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2006, 07:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Ok
I have been all over this board trying to find the proper weight of MOBIL 1
The book says 15w-40.workhorse chassis on a '04 adventure 35u..
but posters say thats no good for the 8.1L eng
others say 5W-30 mobil-1......is fine
seems like a big difference......
what would you guys reccommend?
thanks
Ill get this thing done some time!

New Monmouth, NJ
WALLY NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Ok
I have been all over this board trying to find the proper weight of MOBIL 1
The book says 15w-40.workhorse chassis on a '04 adventure 35u..
but posters say thats no good for the 8.1L eng
others say 5W-30 mobil-1......is fine
seems like a big difference......
what would you guys reccommend?
thanks
Ill get this thing done some time!

New Monmouth, NJ
WALLY NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If your "Workhorse Book" calls for 10/40, then thats it, but mine (2004.. 8.1 ) calls for 5/30 prefered and 10/30 acceptable. The 5W/30 is for temps at 0*.. I dont encounter that..(My manual isn't available to me at this time, but thats pretty close to verbatum)...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

5W30 as GM and Workhorse recommends.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:19 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
5W30 as GM and Workhorse recommends. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats right...I would be curious what "book" the OP is talking about...
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:

Thats right...I would be curious what "book" the OP is talking about... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like the book for the 454 which did take 15W40.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:10 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:

Thats right...I would be curious what "book" the OP is talking about... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like the book for the 454 which did take 15W40. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For his "04 Adventurer"?
Old 10-09-2006, 03:56 PM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WALLY NJ:
I have been all over this board trying to find the proper weight of MOBIL 1. The book says 15w-40. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Wally NJ, First and foremost do not use 40W oil in your 8.1L engine, it could compromise the warranty on your motor. Your 8.1L engine is not designed to operate using 40W motor oil.

In your climate you should use 6.5 quarts of Mobil 1 - 5W-30 Motor Oil and I would also recommend using the M1-111 Mobil 1 synthetic filter as well.

If you want to run Amsoil, their Series 2000 0W-30 motor oil is suggested along with the appropriate Amsoil filter.

I am always running in above freezing weather and I use 10W-30 M1 & the M1-111 filter. I will be changing my oil this week before we get on the road for Fort Worth, TX, Perry, Ga and Orlando, FL. We'll be back for Turkey Day week.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Wally NJ Since you list that your home base is in NJ I would use the 5-30 oil. You will be subject to below freezeing temperatures for a period of months. Since I recently relocated south from NJ I am familar with your temperatures and always used the 5-30 oil in my vehicles. Presently I am using 5-30 in my MH and plan to put in the synthetic at the next change. The engine will then have 15,000 miles on it and I have been told by many to use regular oil until 15,000 to insure proper breakin of the engine. I know some new engines come with synthetic but nothing I can afford at this time. Stick with the 5-30 and do not go cheap on the filter. Figure 6.5 quarts and carry extra to add on the road as required. Keep your eye on the oil pressure gauge as you run now and compare after the change, they will be roughly the same, but if you compare to a smaller displacment GM engine you will notice that the 8.1 runs lower pressure across the board.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:59 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:

Sounds like the book for the 454 which did take 15W40. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For his "04 Adventurer"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No I would expect the book from a 01 or earlier may have gotten misplaced into the black bag.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:15 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

My Manual calls for 5x30 weight for temps below freezing. It also says that 10x30 can also be used if above freezing. As far as Mobil 1 I used to burn at least 1/2 quart every 1,000 miles. I switched to Quaker State full synthetic "Advanced" motor oil with the NAPA 1060 filter 1 quart. No more burn and stays cleaner longer! I for one will stick with the "Q". It's cheaper then Mobil 1 and performs better as far as I can see. Total 7 quarts.
Happy miles and safe roads!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:23 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I have been putting in 6qts Mobil 1 with M-111 filter NOW I see 6.5 and 7 qts, how come
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:14 AM   #13

My Workhorse Owner's Manual says 6.4 quarts with filter.....
Old 10-10-2006, 10:20 AM   #14
iRV2 Marketing

Seven Quarts of oil is too much double OH.

If you install 7qts and let it sit, it'll show over full which is not a preferred thing to do with the 8.1L but it's NOT as critical as over filling the transmission.

Even I overfilled my engine "once" and I simply removed the drain plug, counted to 2 and put the plug back in.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:00 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed/Full-time:
Total 7 quarts.
Happy miles and safe roads! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Ed;

If you're putting 7 quarts in your 8.1 you're over filling it unless you are using the large oil filter. With the stock short AC filter the crankcase holds 6 1/2 quarts.

I use a long filter and add 7 quarts.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:19 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Well Tom how are you?
If you look at my post I use only the NAPA Gold 1060 filter, that is the 1 quart filter. With a oil change and the stock filter replacement it calls for 6.4 quarts. With the one quart filter it rounds off to 7 quarts. Which could overfill the crankcase with .1 of oil the oil left in the bottles would more then likely take care of the .1 Never had overfilled it yet!Oh yeah! I use 10W30 "Q" Full Syn because I'm never in a place that's cold!If I were I'd use 5W30 "Q"...Full Syn
I use the easy drain and after warm up I let it drain while I wipe and grease all the fittings including the pads on the leaf springs. Then I have a cold one. When the black gold stops dripping I shut off the drain replace the filter and refill. With a level coach it never goes above the "full" line, never has, never will.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:06 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Ed, I use 8qt. of M1 with WIX filter 51754,
I think. I started out using 15W50, like in
the 454. But the 8.1 did not like it, and it
would talk to you when you started it up.
But it seams to like the 10W30.

And someone said they used another oil
because it did not get dirty as quick.
Makes me wonder where the dirt is if not
supended in the oil??what say you?? TENN.

Oh that was you ED!! Well what say you ED?
Old 10-10-2006, 02:13 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Ed;

I thought you might have been using the short AC stock filter.

I don't usually change my oil but I was with the mechanic that changed it this summer and he put a Napa Gold on as you did. I told him it took 7 quarts. He added 7 and it brought the level to the full line on the dipstick. BTW, Napa Gold filters are made by WIX.

You can also get a 2 quart filter from NAPA. I think it is for 8.1 marine applications. I think it would hang too low for a Workhorse and would be subject to accidental damage.

I'll try and get to NAPA and take a photo of the short, medium and long filters side by side.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:35 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

The Quaker State is lighter in color to begin with. In Answer to your question Tenn.vol: Let me see, THE FILTER?
You know what the sad thing is? This whole thing started by Wally NJ asking a question about what weight oil he should use in a 2004 8.1!
15X40 is a DPusher oil. In my WH manual it clearly states 5x30 for the 8.1 if used in cold climate, 10-30 if not. On my stock OEM oil fill cap it also states in bright yellow that the recommended weight is 5W30 it keeps you from having to think!
OH yes you all forgot my statement on burning not leaking a 1/2 quart of Mobil 1 every 1,000 miles. With Quaker State I don't burn any. OH no is Mobil one a sponser on this Site? Don't want to go there again.
Tom N. For me there is no need to take pictures of filters I use the one quart Gold 1060. No need for me to use the 2 quart. If you use your RV for off-road racing, maybe the 2 quart might hang to low! The Parts Person at NAPA couldn't tell me if the 2 quart had a bypass, so opted to stick with what I've been using since switching to Quaker State and NAPA Filters (wix) NO burn, Cleaner "looking" and less expensive! There I said it again! Whoops!
Godd Day! and SOOOOOOO LOOOOONG
Old 10-10-2006, 10:51 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> In my WH manual it clearly states 5x30 for the 8.1 if used in cold climate, 10-30 if not. If you use your RV for off-road racing, maybe the 2 quart might hang to low! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My manual states "For ALL temperature ranges the preferred oil for your engine is SAE 5W-30". "However, you can use SAE 10W-30 if temperatures stay above 0 degrees F".

With the 2 quart filter, I was thinking that road debris (ie: dead animals, tire carcasses, etc) damaging the filter. Here in PA, once the home of Quaker State BTW, you can't go out on the highways without seeing a dead deer on the highway.