Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-01-2024, 11:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2017 Winnebago Via and repair costs

I really love the layout of the 2017 Winnebago Via and I found one for a reasonable price. It's got about 43,000 miles on it. I haven't had an inspection done on it yet, but I wanted to get peoples' opinion on whether or not I should expect a big difference in annual post-purchase repair costs for a 2017 Class C from Winnebago and one from 2019 or 2020. I know there are a whole bunch of variables to consider, but I'm just trying to get a sense for whether or not there's an age where things really start to deteriorate on the Winnebago Class Cs. Thanks so much for your input. I'm new at all this and trying to learn as I go.
buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Other than the new ones having a warranty (for what that is worth) the costs and parts prices are similar. Current shop rates are $185 and up.

I have found a mobile mechanic to usually be cheaper and more effective. As far as reliability on age, I think the breakpoint is around 10 years, after that things start to wear our as they age.

Other things like tires and batteries are every 3-5 or so. We recently purchased a 2014 Itasca Meridian knowing there will be a host of small things to be dealt with. Our other RV is a 2016, we replaced batteries an tires about 18 months ago, other than regular maintenance it remains trouble-free.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 06:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks Aaron! That's really helpful.
buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 09:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The class A Via and the C class View and Navion are all put together with relatively high quality parts. We have been happy with our Via and the quality of the Dometic appliances and the really nice, real wood cabinetry. Of course like any RV things need attention and being a very picky person I went through mine bumper to bumper and brought it up to my expectations. The fridge modifications I did were probably my biggest improvement as it was a poor performer in hot weather due to poor installation method but no complaints now (Dometic RML-8555 3 way).

The generator doesn't like extremely hot weather but can be managed if you reduce the load.

The chassis can be pricey to maintain unless you can do it yourself or find a good independent Mercedes shop that knows Sprinters. Engine access is very poor on the Via Class A compared to the C class View & Navion but so far I have been able to do everything I needed to do through that little 8" opening up front by removing the hood and the cross bar. I do all my regular maintenance and just a few months ago I did belts, tensioner and guide pullies for $240 using genuine Mercedes parts when Mercedes wanted $1,200 to do it.

If you decide to change your fuel filter you need to learn about the plastic tee in the "leak line", very easy to break if you aren't careful and it will leave you dead in the water. The tee is a permanent part of the injector return circuit meaning the whole thing has to be replaced with several engine components removed to get the new lines to all the injectors. Several folks have figured out a fix where you can carefully drill out the broken pieces and order a brass Bosch tee and fix it, but it's not a side of the road fix. Fortunately for me mine is older and the tee is protected inside a plastic cover, but on the newer ones it's just laying out in the open and it's easy to break when removing the fuel filter, especially in cold weather.

Your fuel mileage will be a big positive, we see just under 15 not towing and around 12.5-13.5 towing 3,700 lbs. (Average speed is 62-66 MPH)

Tags
repair, winnebago