Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2020, 09:08 AM   #1
Site Team

Go - No Go

We brought the RV home from storage last Friday. I did a few maintenance jobs and fixed a few things.

Then we got it all loaded up and ready to leave today for a 6-day trip to the Texas Gulf Coast to celebrate my 70th Birthday. We always go camping for my birthday.

But, nagging doubts about freedom of movement and the chance of getting stranded out of town won out and we pulled the plug on the trip this morning. Three days ago we were sure it was going to be OK. Yesterday, we started talking and my wife said she was getting super concerned about the trip. By this morning I had to agree. Sadly. But there it is.

PS. When I canceled my two reservations today - people asked for the reason for the cancellation. I told them Covid-19 concerns and they both said, they had to wait for me to say that before they could cancel without penalty. It seems if I had not said that I could have been charged a fee.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

First, congratulations on 70 spins around the ball!

But I think you highlight an issue right now, especially for those of us who are older and may have additional health concerns. In that case it's probably just not a good idea for a few weeks to head out unless you're going to an area used or populated by relatively few people. I'm lucky in that regard - there's a trout stream only 1.5 hours away and I can keep some distance from everyone (it's simple etiquette) anyway. But unless this thing blows over quickly, we're starting to wonder if our annual trip to the beach with friends in May can be accomplished. That's a wait and see, though.

The local parks are still open to those who are there or have confirmed reservations but they are taking no new reservations and are cancelling all group events which were booked into the pavilions, etc. Not sure how that's being handled elsewhere but it seems to me the healthier among us should be able to prudently continue, given the space between most campsites. Still, people are gathering and that's the best way to spread something like this, so I'm not one to say categorically that it's a great idea. I dunno.

In the end, it is just a case of the flu, albeit a very nasty one and it will blow over but not before upending a lot of lives and even killing some people, which is the worst part. We can all hope that by this time next year, it will just be a another part of the annual flu vaccine.

Bob
Old 03-18-2020, 09:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

One of the big items that we had to consider was food as RV have very limited storage for fresh food. That also has to be combined with the calculations of which and when stores will allow shopping and how many items on each trip. With no national policy in place, it is going to be almost impossible to plan for shopping. One example is my neighborhood group who had a plan, hurried into place, for combined community shopping as a way to cut the risk of going out as well as keep from spreading the disease. We assume at least one or more of our group will soon be sick and some are already in home QT, so limiting trips to the store is vital.
However this plan will not work currently in this area as food stores are limiting how many items each person can buy and hours they are open. It's a really hit and miss, day at a time, things with no prepared plan for the vital points. When done on a city by city, store by store daily change, there is no way to cut travel for food.
Being on the road is normally somewhat difficult to find things we need and now is going to be a very bad time.
The total lack of a plan for who should close and who is a vital industry is nonsense. It seems so simple when one has not tried to do it or had any experience with it but not so simple when are young and stupid.
Follow one small part of necessary, like eggs. Most would call them necessary if you've ever done any cooking. But something as weird as the guy who delivers chicken feed? No on your life! A fresh stupid guy who never raised chickens might say to arrest that fool delivering chicken food! Somebody with more experience and time to think over the plan might pick up that getting chickens to laid those eggs has to be step one of us eating them!
Oil filters delivered to the truck stop? Nobody needs them ---unless you want to delivery eggs.
With no plan and no planners who know what they are doing, I'm not hitting the road as I have no way to feel sure the chickens are getting fed back where ever chickens live!
Hunker down folks, it's going to get difficult.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:43 PM   #4
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Hmm, We're thinking about going "out" next week or the week after that. the CG's we go to offer sufficient space, as far as social distancing is concerned, between rigs. When we park next to a rig there is usually 15 ft from their door to our door, with the rig in between. Also most parks we go to are usually 1/2 empty. I don't know why. It just happens that way. LOL. Anyway, we're just waiting for better weather, that's why we didn't leave yet.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:16 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

No go.

We have had plans for several months for a 5-6000 mile trip for the entire month of April +.

There were 2 things that caused us to decide to postpone this trip.

1) No point in going if the places we want to visit are closed.

2) It would be really bad to be 2000 miles away from home and contract COVID19, especially being in our 60s. It's hard to isolate from each other that far from home in a 31' RV, and drive home
Old 03-18-2020, 07:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
No go.

We have had plans for several months for a 5-6000 mile trip for the entire month of April +.

There were 2 things that caused us to decide to postpone this trip.

1) No point in going if the places we want to visit are closed.

2) It would be really bad to be 2000 miles away from home and contract COVID19, especially being in our 60s. It's hard to isolate from each other that far from home in a 31' RV, and drive home
Exactly! We have been planning for a year but with everything getting closed you will only find yourself getting anxious. They are starting to close everything so assuming you get to where you want will you be able to get food or be stuck and a burden. We are staying home where we have resources such as they are.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We belong to a square dance camping club. We normally get upwards of 30 rigs at a rally. This and next month's campouts are cancelled - not only because the campgrounds are refusing to accept large groups and have shuttered their social halls where we would normally dance, but we are the "at risk" population (funny, I don't feel that way) and square dancing is certainly a contact sport. Our weekly club has also gone temporarily dark. There's going to be a lot of rusty square dancers when this all blows over.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:02 PM   #8
RVCalypso

Plan B

We have 3 weeks planned each month from May thru September. Living in the Phoenix area we like to escape the heat! We have May, August and September scheduled at the beach in California State Campgrounds. Well California closed all their state campgrounds today so we go to plan B. If they are still closed we will head up to US Forest land, BLM or Trust land. It will still be in the 70's! Boondocking is our favorite and there is nobody around.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:41 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Well California closed all their state campgrounds today so we go to plan B.
gurroz...

I don't think you understand the gravity of the situation. As of today, every county along the coast from San Luis Obispo to north of the Bay area is on a minimum 30 day Shelter-in-place ORDER.

No restaurants (save take out or delivery), no bars, wineries, brewpubs, no gatherings of any sort not including your "family unit", no church. ONLY food, medical, and "exercise" outings allowed. All non-essential businesses are shut down.

Our county just got added today. There are limited supplies available for residents. All non-essential government services are at a standstill. The shelves in the stores are EMPTY. My family currently has maybe 3-4 weeks of food stockplied

I get it.

Quote:
It will still be in the 70's!
You are in Arid-zona and want to come to where it's cool. We have Sunbird friends from Mesa that have come every summer for 10 years or more.

PLEASE, STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM CALIFORNIA. State park campgrounds are a minor inconvenience to you. They are the tip of the iceberg for what we residents are facing. If you come and get sick, need food, water, gasoline/diesel/propane, or a place to park or dump, you are taking away badly needed resources from those of us that are sheltering here.

Please do the right thing, not the selfish thing.

The shelter in place edicts by county and city are only going to expand as this COVID19 thing gets worse.

Should you not believe me,

https://www.foxla.com/news/list-of-c...elter-in-place.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Just read Tampa paper says state parks closing to camping.
Confirm allplans as it changes as it gets worse. Possible no camping this summer at least
Old 03-18-2020, 11:40 PM   #11
RVCalypso

SLOweather, As a retired first responder, i have not underestimated anything! As a California native and resident for over 40 years I feel your pain. Eighty percent of my family still lives there. The OP contemplated to Go-No-Go I only opined that there is a plan B, C, D or E. By the way in Arizona are not currently having the time of our lives either. Last time I checked it was a worldwide pandemic! I do look forward to the day I can come back and visit the beaches I grew up on and have enjoyed for over 60 years. Be safe and Godspeed!
Old 03-19-2020, 08:04 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Whether it is accurate or just news out of Russia, I can't say but the Tampa news article also mentioned the state forests, etc. will also be closed on some date, possibly the 24 but it was not a major interest and I did not pay close attention. But if my plan B was to go to forest areas, that may also need a look.
I'm no more sure than others where this is headed but it does look like we are going the way of Italy and that is not a time when I would want to drive around the block, let alone across the state.
My wife is currently out "foraging" as the local stores have set up one hour early shopping strictly for those over 60. Their normal hours are now cut from 24 hours to 7-8 AM for seniors and then the rest of the crowd until somewhere around 8PM. Not sure of the closing because we will want to only be out when the least number are there. First served gets the cleanest store and shopping carts!
Old 03-19-2020, 08:10 AM   #13
Site Team

Campendium is compiling a list of closed campgrounds in a post they say they are updating regularly. Here’s a link:

https://www.campendium.com/camping/c...res-responses/
Old 03-19-2020, 08:51 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

By far, the smartest thing to do is stay home. RV trips for the vast majority of us are a luxury and we shouldn't be putting ourselves and others at risk for our own enjoyment. The fact that one might have been planning a trip for months is immaterial.

I do, however, feel for all the full-timers out there who may not have many options.

Our parents and/or grandparents sacrificed and lived through the Great Depression and WWII. We can sacrifice to live through this.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:38 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

This would seem to be the most important part of the above referenced website:
"During this time, campground policies are changing quickly. It is wise to call ahead before traveling to your destination."
I think the truth is that many of the decisions like leaving the South Padre Beaches open for spring break are being driven more on the profit motive than the medical questions.
Without good programs in place and prepped for these situations, chaos is the only logical result and having each state make decisions on national travel is certainly going to add to that chaos.
If Florida has in fact closed their state parks and forests as of March 24, do all the Canadiens wind up moving to Georgia? I would certainly not want to be on the road in a situation where the campsite you have reserved for a month is suddenly canceled.
One aspect that has changed in many places is how visitors are perceived. We often think of RV business visitors as wanted but in this situation, you are now looked at as a potential liability for the health care facilities in the area. Every hospital will be strained to the limit. With New York and California hospitals searching and buying all the beds
they can get, how does your home state stack up for beds? The better prepared who did act quicker, will be the states which get the supplies.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:17 PM   #16
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Hmm, the whole idea is self Isolation, social distancing. I can see a point with the provisions. But if a person goes to a forest on a Pad 20, 30 ft from the next guy or goes boondocking away from civilization, I don't get where the problem is. Like I said for some reason the CG's we go to are 1/2 empty, as long as you keep your distance and have enough provisions, I don't see it as much different from being at home where in a cookie cutter subdivision you are closer to your neighbor than at certain RV parks. Nah, sorry...when I get to a CG I set up, get out the beer cooler and my humidor, unwrap cuban and vegetate. we don't go anywhere: no bars, no stores. I'm too well traveled to be interested in Museums, monuments, Nat'l parks. Been there done that, moved on. If we happen to be in the neighborhood we'll contemplate it, but definitely not go outta our way to make it a "Must" visit. That's why Most of the times (90%) we don't even tow a toad.
I'm a disabled vet, I can't walk 3 blocks without by back giving out on me, so If I can find a quiet CG and just vegetate with a brew a cigar and my pain meds, I'm good. Like I mentioned previously, we're 15 ft from the closest rig door, if someone parks next to us. That's more than the recommended 6 ft. When indoors, a cough of pathogens can travel 4 meters (that's 12 ft and a few inches). Again we're 15+ feet away, and that's OUTDOORS (breezes and slight winds). We don't go to CGs where people are on top of eachother, And we try to keep away from CGs that allow TT and sometimes 5ers. I need peace, I need quiet (with music within reason), No Rif Raf. So not just any CG will do. To each there own, it's America right? yeah, I'm with Gurroz on this one.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:05 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

The problems are the parts they are not yet telling us! They are slowly letting it out and letting it sink in how bad they really expect it to get. Did you see the report on Senator Burr (retiring!) from NC that let his high dollar club know back in Feb. that there was going to be a hospital ship used ? Several other little things he slipped to his friends so they would get a head start but nobody told us, did they?
The problem with going to campgrounds is that it takes people to make it work. All those folks at the window, those that pick up the trash and clean everything? Those are not expected to be there, so closing the parks is their method of dealing with it.
You and I will get the word when and if they feel it worthwhile. Meanwhile slowly spread the blame around so that nobody is blamed!
The desert will be open but campgrounds with water and electric, not so much!
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/polit...nts/index.html
Old 03-20-2020, 09:54 AM   #18
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

LOL. Just read this article on "DoItYourselfRV. com." 10 top reasons to quarantine in your RV.
Naturally I loved the one that says:"It makes sense. Secluding yourself away from society, whether in your own driveway or at a local campground makes sense, according to the CDC. Even in a public campground, you’re likely to be at least 20 yards from your neighbor. A quick shout hello and an air fist bump and you get on with your day, no human contact needed."

"4. Because there are no sports, or anything else, going on right now.

That’s right, you aren’t going to be able to watch your favorite golf tournament or hockey game this week. You won’t be going to concerts, RV shows, or any kid’s soccer games. You might as well go camping in your RV, where you can stare at a campfire, the stars, or even your significant other. (Just don’t make it creepy for the latter.)"

"7. Get away from the madness.

Generally, when holed up in a campground, life moves at a slower pace. We tend to check our phones less frequently and watch less TV. Now would be a good time to slow things down, take a deep breath and read a book. Or perhaps, take a camp nap in a hammock outside, dreaming about endless rolls of toilet paper and pallets full of bottled water."
LOL
Old 03-20-2020, 10:07 AM   #19
Site Team

RuR, I agree, BUT... there are just as many reasons that it's better for OTHERS if you stay at your home and not out traveling. IF you're a full timer and your hunkered down. You bet. But if you're getting ready to head out into the highways and byways and haven't left yet I'd say you're better off at home.

But in all these things - your mileage may vary.

Just be safe - for you, your family and for EVERYONE ELSE. Don't be selfish.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:27 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Many (or maybe some) of Texas' state parks are open for camping. Big Bend National Park is open for camping. I'm sure other places are open for camping. Self registration, or online registration and payment only.

Yes the visitor centers and park offices are close, but the park may be still open. Big Bend NP Facebook page (at least as of several days ago) stated that the interpretive rangers will be stationed at some trail heads to answer questions give info, etc. They will not be leading hikes or having groups gather for interpretive sessions. That would be bringing people together in possible close contact.

I am not understanding why we shouldn't "shelter in place" in a campground for a few or several days.

Yesterday I made reservations for a week from now to take our RV to a Texas State park, for a several day stay. Our campsite is a good distance from the next campsite so I don't see a risk in catching something from a possible neighbor.

We won't be stressing the local resources, such as buying groceries that others need. Such as buying up all the toilet paper in the local store.

This gets us out of the house and out in nature to enjoy the great outdoors for a few days.

Now, heading for a RV park to park our RV 20' from another RV. Nah, that doesn't interest me.

I do understand, self isolation. Wash hands. Be careful when you go to the store near where you live.

Oh, yeah, I still go to a near by park and do my 3-5 mile walk 3-4 days a week. I see and say good morning, to other walkers, and maybe chat, at a 6' distance, for a few minutes. Most of the "regulars" are still hiking/walking. It is good exercise, good fresh air, and good to be outside.

Oh, and by the way, from what I read in the news, going to parks is still recommended.