Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-08-2023, 06:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Regulator issue - Sort of..

Gas flows, appliances work, but the regulator shows red. Tank is 2/3 full.
Had them turned off for travel and it was green, turned them on and it went red, but no disruption to gas and they are pretty full tanks.. Any Idea?

Thanks!
RONHEATER70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 10:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Have you tried opening a valve inside like the range to let some gas/air escape?
Old 05-09-2023, 05:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hi, Thanks for the response.
Yes I opened the stove inside and it lit normally and I let it burn for just a bit, still shows red on the reg. Thw whole issue started cause we had it at the shop getting a Sofa replaced and we had been having issues with the frdige kicking onto propane when we disconnected from shore power. They told us they checked everything out and thatthe cheap gauges we had put on there to measure the tank levels was reducing flow (they gave me actual readings) so they took them off and flow returned to normal, where its supposed to be.And honestly the stove lights much quicker now.
Old 05-09-2023, 09:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

so all is good now?
Old 05-09-2023, 04:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Well, No. The regulator is reading red as in Low or no gas instead of Green, but It seems I am getting gas, the stove lights easily. So Just had not run into that with the other 3 RVS I have had over the years. Maybe like was saud, just let it stay hooked up and see if it eventually turns green?
Old 05-10-2023, 01:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Lightbulb Chances are your problem is not an intermittent leak issue but checking never hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONHEATER70 View Post
Well, No. The regulator is reading red as in Low or no gas instead of Green, but It seems I am getting gas, the stove lights easily. So Just had not run into that with the other 3 RVS I have had over the years. Maybe like was saud, just let it stay hooked up and see if it eventually turns green?
Sensor failure is common in systems with pressure monitors as is regulator integrity in propane system that bounce down the road and are shut off and depressurized for safe storage of the system with the gas source off or removed. You may need to have the regulator replaced if it is bypassing to the atmosphere or has worn out because of freeze and thaw. Hopefully your problem is just faulty sensors.
Old tank connections can and do cause issues as do tanks that have faulty safety shut off valves. Trying new propane tanks with new valves quite often solves issues with under pressurization of propane systems at the regulator.

Careful examination of the units gas connections is always a good idea for anyone who owns a shack on wheels or a home with gas fittings for that matter. Obviously, gas supply, tanks and distribution gear it is not to be trifled with and for RV owners should not that much of a mysterious system to properly maintain and check.

To be safe use old school checks around the fittings and the regulator bypass hole. On a dry day take a little bit of sunlight liquid in clear water and do thorough leak checks of all fittings. One does not have to use goo but to be safe it takes time and patience and a rag to wipe it off and check again if any bubbles start to appear. The tank(s) should have overpressure relief now by law and if it does relieve high tank pressure it simply exits to the atmosphere and should never be in amounts that become dangerous if the tanks are external or properly vented in a sealed external enclosure on a motorized unit.

Using a match to check for gas leaks is definitely not recommended.
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 05:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

L.. I was thinking of using a torch, a bigger flame could find a leak more easily!

I don't think anything is leaking via worn out parts, its only a year and 1/2 old.. However something could have gotten loose in the system and caused a leak. RIght now I have the second tank off since it was nearing empty, so Ill fil lit this weekend and put it all back together nice and tight and see what happens.
Old 05-10-2023, 08:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Didn't realize that your trailer was that new. Try not to overtighten the tank connections as this does reduce the service life of the connectors. Dual tank system regulators are highly susceptible to gas freeze in cold damp conditions, the regulator may just need time to balance. I have seen situations like this before in northern work camps especially after cold winters, if a regulator becomes unreliable it is designed to not be a safety issue but can fail to do the job correctly or throw sensor errors if the system has a level sensor.
One can very easily go nuts changing tanks thinking that one of the tanks is empty. A ROYAL PITA especially if the tanks are the 100 lb tanks or larger used for logging camps and oil field shacks!
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 08:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Do you have an automatic switchover?
https://www.lpgasmagazine.com/unders...er-regulators/