Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Refrigerator Replacement

1999 Vectra Grand Tour. Getting ready to replace my norcold refrigerator with a residential fridge and I can't figure out how to remove the Norcold. Does anyone have any tips or tricks that may be helpful.
Thanks, Cork
Wetsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

This is a little newer than yours but may still help. Good luck!

http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/Res...or_Install.pdf
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Greetings,

I did this project last year, and I couldn't be happier with the results. We love our new refrigerator and don't have to worry about marginal cooling any more. Our post is here.

This guy did a post that I found helpful before tackling my job.

Once you remove the vent covers and inside trim around the unit, it really isn't difficult to do this. Just look closely around it to find any braces and screws used to hold it in. Push it around to figure out which areas are held tight in place and then unscrew them. And since you know you're going to discard it when you're done, don't worry too much about breaking the unit or even a brace holding it in.

Good luck!
www.LowesTravels.com
sdlowe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Here is the thread I started when we replaced our Norcold http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/new-f...dow-93522.html There are enough threads about replacing them here to keep you busy for a long time. Just type things like "residential fridge installation" or anything with "Samsung" in the search box.

We found out later that the reason the new Samsung would not fit in through the door that Lowes sent us an RF217, not the RF197 we ordered. Three cubic feet bigger but also taller. They had removed the box at the store and the two look identical.

Removal wasn't too bad. Unplug it, disconnect the gas, remove any screws, nuts and bolts you can find and see if it will move. Ours fit out the door.

Some things to think about. How much work on the cabinetry needs to be done? We had to lower the shelf the Norcold was on to make the new one fit. Close or don't close up the vents. Some people have others have not. You will need to plug the LP hose or remove and plug the fitting. We just plugged the end of the hose. Don't plan to ever go back to and RV type fridge but who knows? Maybe a future owner will. If your Norcold has an ice maker, a trip to the hardware store should get you enough parts to reconnect the water supply to the new fridge.

There are also considerations about inverters and batteries. Our Samsung works fine on the 2000W modified sine wave that was in the coach. We stuck with the three 12 volt house batteries since we are rarely not plugged in, running the generator or driving it so the alternator keeps them charged.

About three and a half years now and still love the residential fridge.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Norcold 1200 removal from Winnebago coach

Remove the access panel on the outside. Disconnect propane line, Water line and unplug electric. (Still outside) look at the wall on either side, you will see 2 Hex head bolts on each side. Remove these bolts. On the inside, remove the trim around the refrigerator. Winnebago glues the bottom in place. Cut some wood wedges about 1/4" high and drive under the front at both out side edges. Go outside Push in at the top to try to break glue loose. When you get the back to raise by pushing, get something to hold it there. Go inside and spray WD40 under the frig. to kill the glue. Remove wedges and slide out
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetsnail View Post
1999 Vectra Grand Tour. Getting ready to replace my norcold refrigerator with a residential fridge and I can't figure out how to remove the Norcold. Does anyone have any tips or tricks that may be helpful.
Thanks, Cork

Is your current reefer a 2-door or 4-door, over/under or side-by-side?
Old 12-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I replaced my four door Norcold in the summer. Mine was not glued at the top but was held in with brackets at the sides. I took mine out the front door. Had to remove the doors from the fridge, the passenger seat and the top bracket that limits door travel. Once the door was wide open, there was about an inch to spare to get it out. It was not as difficult as I had envisioned. Removal of the seat is also simple. Be sure to measure twice to see if your door is wide enough.
Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
I replaced my four door Norcold in the summer. Mine was not glued at the top but was held in with brackets at the sides. I took mine out the front door. Had to remove the doors from the fridge, the passenger seat and the top bracket that limits door travel. Once the door was wide open, there was about an inch to spare to get it out. It was not as difficult as I had envisioned. Removal of the seat is also simple. Be sure to measure twice to see if your door is wide enough.
Good luck,

The 4 door norcold in mine was not glued down either but the top of the refrigerator was attached on the top with brackets accessable from the top vent. Mine went out the passenger side window and the 197 in through the same window. Had to remove the sofa and the valence. I think it would have fit through the passenger door if I removed the passenger seat. I cut down the box the 197 came in to the size of the refrigerator then tried the entry door and window and opted for the window.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I sure appreciate the info. Just what i was looking for. Many thanks to you all.

Cork
Wetsnail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, replace, replacement