Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-17-2022, 07:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Newbie Question: Underbay heat duct?

Hi folks,

Sorry if this is a repeat. It didn't show up in the forum. Does my 2016 Winnebago Journey 38P have any heat ducts for the underbay? The manuals are not showing this information.

It's Dec. 17th and we came south for the heat - ha! We're in Houston and it's supposed to drop to 18-24 at night with mid-30s during the day for several days this coming week. I'm worried about the plumbing. We're from Minnesota and we typically winterize around mid-October, so we have no experience with this.

I am considering putting 2 small space heaters down under - one on the slide out tray in close proximity to the fresh water tank and another in the dump station. Then I thought I'd fill the tanks, then remove and empty the hoses. Would this be advisable? Necessary? Any else or better? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Mark Winge
[Email address removed]
Mark Winge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 08:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Morning to you!
First thought is that it really is much harder to keep things from freezing in Texas than othe rplaces as there is so little thought given to building for cold. Notice all the pipes on the outside, like pressure pumps out in the yard?
Thinking for cold is not really a priority here!

But once past that, I think you will be quite happy with the RV as you apear to be much better covered than most!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ducts.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	184810

Don't trust my thinking but do the checking to see if there are not four ducts at these locations.

More indepth info and a closer look can be had at the parts catalog here:

https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Watch the outside connections if they run out underneath, etc.
But then a guy living in Texas is certainly not well trained to tell you about the cold prepping!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 08:25 AM   #3
Site Team

Welcome Mark, we’re glad you’re here.

Winnebago motorhomes as a general rule do have some under carriage heating of very limited amounts. However, you don’t need worry about overnight freezes followed by days with temps above freezing. It’s, multiple days below freezing that stay below freezing continuously that are the worry.

I’m in San Antonio, and we have the same weather forecast for next week as Houston. I’ll not do anything to protect my RV from this weather, and it’s in outside storage, not being used like yours. Using your RV and running the propane heater will add additional protection against freezing.

Word to the wise, disconnect your city water hose on these overnight freezes. The hose will freeze. It probably will not harm anything, including the hose, but if removed it’s a lot more convenient when not blocked with ice. I wouldn’t worry about sewer hoses, because they shouldn’t be full of “water” except when dumping.

By the way, how many days can your RV plumbing survive temps continuously below freezing without worrying? I don’t know for sure, but I’ve never had any problems with 72-hours of 20-degree temps when not using the RV and 96 hours of those temps when using the RV and running the propane heater.

Your “mileage” may vary… as they say.
Old 12-17-2022, 08:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Doing a bit more looking/thinking, there are a couple items which I would want to look over in prepping.
You likely know but just wanted to point to a few things like how far from the outside plumbing might be run can change what happens a whole bunch.
I marked a couple suspect points to look at how heat will get to them.
With four ducts, it looks like they built a good plan but it pays to check!

Click these drawings to get a better view but can you feel warm air blowing near these spots?

Name:	cold1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	184811

The wet bay is often a suspect as it has the outside door for leaking cold and then the plumbing for the shower seems to run along the outer side and back for a long way? That make it suspect if not heated?

What I look at when caught in cold is what may be too close to the cold outer side. Looking from above and drawing a shaky outline of the RV, the kitchen seems to be much better protected than other parts.

I hope your RV is much straighter than my drawing!!!

A small point to consider as a help is how we can leave some of the cabinet doors and drawers open overnight as a way to let warm room air into all those little nooks and crannies where they tend to run the water lines. Those lines running along the side and back might need a close look.

Name:	cold2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	184812

We've always found a lightbulb like a trouble light is a good way to get heat to any specific spot we worry about. Not so hot it might melt things or catch fire but they do put out lots of heat for small spaces.

The problem for me in keepiing pipes from freezing is the way things are built with no freezeproof faucets or any way to add them in slab foundations and we have a harder time doing the winter prep because we may need the hoses and faucets for keeping plants alive one week and freeze the next. I've spent twice as much time fixing pipes here than any place I have lived!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 09:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

If I were you, I wouldn't post my email address. We can all send you a personal message via Winnieowners. That way your personal email address will stay hidden. You might want to ask a moderator if they can remove it from your post.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 10:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Bob. I'll do that.

In the meantime, thanks to all for your suggestions. We contacted the GM at our selling dealer and he told us that putting heaters in the bays should be sufficient, but for a little added protection, we could open the low point valves and drain the pipes before evening. We would not have to empty the tanks. Then in the morning, simply turn on the water pump to fill the lines back up.

We'll probably do all the above. plus your ideas. I guess than means finding a place inside for that new case of wine!

Mark
Old 12-21-2022, 04:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hello... We are in Fredericksburg facing similar temps in our Winni Sightseer. Last month we faced temps around 15 degrees in Santa Fe. We put a lamp in the water bay, increased the temp 10 degrees. Seems like the furnace helps as well. Also disconnected the outside water hose and just used water from the tank. No issues. Ps, drink the ��. Cheers
Sullivanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 05:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Sullivanclan, thanks for your reply. We bought a very small cube ceramic heater for the wet bay, but I'd feel safer with a light bulb. We had a mobile repair tech here yesterday for a few pre-flight repairs, and he pointed out the heating ducts for our fresh water and main bay. But we couldn't find the one for the wet bay. He recommended the heater on low. We're thinking positive thoughts for this weekend! Everyone stay warm! Mark

Tags
heat, newbie