Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-18-2024, 08:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Furnace Thermostat 1997 Adventurer (Workhorse)

I have a coleman analog thermostat 12v that quit working. I got a new thermostat from Amazon (no name on it 7.5v). Will it work with the different volts?
If so. I have 8 wired come from rv purple, gray, brown, red, white, blue, yellow and green. On the new one it takes only takes 6 wires blue hi fan, green or black GND, orange or tan fan, purple or orange HP HS, yellow cool, white furnace, red or red/white 7.5v. I know to match colors up but what to do with the black and gray wire from the house?
Trthomp2p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 08:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

New one
Brand KASturrboo
Model Name RV Analog Thermostat
Color White
Included Components1 RV Analog Thermostat
Voltage12 Volts
Style Simple
Backlight Yes
Specification Metoe
OE number: 3106995.032
Easy to install and use. Simple and clear functions: Cool/ Furnace/ Fan/ Off. Simple white appearance.

The old one is a coleman
Furnace Domeetic
It has ac but New one put in that's not contol by Thermostat.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I would not suggest trying the 7.5 voltage to replace a 12Volt as that is likely to run close into blowing some components on the new one if too high voltage is used.

the second suggestion is not one I would go to as analog is not one I would want.
But that may depend on their definition of analog as that can be somewhat open.
In my definition, which may not agree with their opinion, the analog will give a much wider variation in the room temp than a newer design digital might.
The analog I think of use more mechanical things like springs to set the temperature range. You swing a small lever across a coil to choose the point where it makes contact and that makes the setting far less precise than digital where you punch up a number for the temp you want.

If the old is original it may be analog and it may be okay to suit what you want, while I may more picky about the temp staying steady! Personal choice on how spoiled we want to be!
I admit it! I get spoiled more and more, and so easy!
Part of the problems you are likely to run into is that different manufacturers are likely to use different colors! Especially true when we go into the foreign market items.

One thing that may help is if the Winnebago wires are labeled as they use a code stamped on lots of their small wires to tell us where they come FROM and go TO!
Click image for larger version

Name:	wire ID.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	188589
There are often wires soldered onto the thermostat by the builder and those are then connected as the RV is built to Winnebago wires. If you pull on the wires behind the thermostat, you may find a set of connections pull up out of the wall and that will then be the Winn wires that may have the ID stamp???
If stamped, use this chart to ID the different wires.
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

Maybe that will give you a place to start?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 11:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info. The one I order said 12v but one the one I got said 7.5v on one of the 6 pins you put the wire in. So I don't know it it is 12v or not. I was told with this unit being original with original thermostat I had to use analog. I do prefer digital. Lol
I am going to check for codes on the wires. I will also check on the old thermostat aswell.
Old 03-19-2024, 01:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

found one that is hanging around from RV use but has now been converted to control fans or heaters in a small greenhouse. It might not be one you find free but might give some ideas of what might be involved?
I think of thermostats as a set of contacts like any switch and those contacts open and close to turn something on or off.
So the difference in a wall switch and thermostat is how it gets the signal to open or close. Wall switch does it by our hand while the thermostat has some form of temperature controls.
Analog does it with wires and springs, etc, while digital does it with thermisters, etc. that we don't need to know about!! As long as those gizmos work, I've totally lost interest in finding out how they do it!! Point being that the furnace and air don't care if it is analog or digital telling the power to go on or off! We COULD do it by hand if we wanted to get out of bed!

So I got some older (first generation?) digital Honeywell that did not do programming, so folks had changed them and giving them away!
I no longer have any model numbers, etc and none I can read on the items, so no direct help there! Maybe some help on what I found worked?

I got some with option switch for heat/air or fan only and they do the decisions using a couple AAA batteries!
Face

Name:	IMG_4849.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	188592
Heat/off/cool switch at bottom left with fan auto or on at lower right. temp change buttons at right
Back side with place to connect wiring

Name:	IMG_4850.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	188593
Inside of wall mounted part with contacts where pins meet that plug. There are what I believe are colors stamped in the plastic. Would those match the wires on what you have now? Blue, orange, green, yellow, white, red and unknown???? Maybe red with tracer?

Name:	IMG_4852.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	188594

Back of the face section that has pins to fit in plug on wall portion! Bare metal pins snap into holes on plug above?

Name:	IMG_4853.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	188595

And this is what I use it for now to use the thermostat for precise control in greenhouse and the switch turns this outlet on/off to control fans or heaters!
the controls on electric heater let it swing way too much, so this keeps it close! And we like numbers to set it rather than kind of guessing where the needle pointed on others!
Not much that sets around here long without somebody finding a use for it!

Name:	IMG_4854.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	188596

Not the name and model number but this may be too old for current numbers anyway. Maybe some ideas of what might work for you, so good luck with making a plan!

One way to sort the wires if the old thermostat is still working? When you turn on some function like heat, one of those wires going to the furnace will go hot! Same with cooling or fan. If you use a meter to see which color goes hot when turning on any function, you can then find the same connection on the new one and put that wire in that spot!
Slow and harder than having a diagram but it is all just 12 volt DC, so no big hazard in there if you avoid shorting things together!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 05:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Ok installed new thermostat. Nothing happened. Took the red green and white wire and put them together and and heat. Put them back on and nothing. I think the new thermostat is broke.

Can I use a digital thermostat on a suberban furnace model sf-35. Or do I need a analog.
Old 03-24-2024, 08:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Micro-Air makes direct plug and play replacements for Coleman. I replaced mine and it works great. Also has bluetooth to monitor via an app on your phone. Can make all all adjustments thru your phone...

Tags
workhorse, vent, furnace, thermostat, ace, adventurer