Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-09-2021, 12:08 PM   #1
Site Team

Another A/C Out - but...

Back in Sept 2019 the bedroom A/C went out on a trip 1000 miles from home. We were in south eastern Missouri and it was hot - high 90's. Our Coleman Mach 8+ HP had a 2 year warranty that expired 45-days prior, so we found a independent tech and paid to have the A/C replaced.

On Aug 1, 2021 I went out to my RV in Storage to exercise the generator - it was South Texas hot, so I turned on both A/Cs and found that same bedroom A/C was not putting out cold air.

This time... I'm still in warranty. Instead of 45-days out of warranty I have 45-days left in my warranty.

Luckily, I have been using a pretty good independent RV repair shop (Texas RV Supply) for all my non-DIY jobs and lately they've seen me a few times in the last couple of months. So I'm in their good graces. It takes months to get an A/C replaced under warranty and we leave for another 5-week trip the first week in Sept. So, my shop is handling all the warranty details with Coleman (Aircell) and is actually going to install a used A/C unit in my RV for me to use on our trip. And, then they'll swap it out when my replacement A/C finally arrives.

How's that for good service? From the shop, not from Coleman!

By the way the retail price of the A/C went up $500 - from $1,200 in Sept, 2019 to $1.700 in Aug, 2021.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Guess you will be their best customer from now on. Nice to hear a positive for RV service.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:33 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
Guess you will be their best customer from now on. Nice to hear a positive for RV service.
It's a good shop and they work differently than the dealers. I can always get an appointment within two weeks. And their lot is small so they don't like RVs hanging around too long. They always start work the day I bring it in - and it's always ready to be picked up a few days later.

They do charge $150 an hour, but their workmen have been there for years and know what they are doing.

For this A/C problem I called last Monday and they got me in a week later. They're doing this transfer/trade thing and I'll by done on Thursday.

This is the way every shop should work.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:54 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
For this A/C problem I called last Monday and they got me in a week later. They're doing this transfer/trade thing and I'll by done on Thursday.
UPDATE: it's completed already and I'll pick up the RV tomorrow morning.
Old 08-09-2021, 02:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I wonder why they are not lasting, mine is 10 years old. Is it possible it is seeing low voltage a lot? Or are they building them cheaper?
Old 08-09-2021, 02:17 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
I wonder why they are not lasting, mine is 10 years old. Is it possible it is seeing low voltage a lot? Or are they building them cheaper?
Both of mine have been failed compressors. I know the first one had a pin hole leak in one of the refrigerant lines that leaked oil all over the roof. This one they said it was just the compressor.

Coleman wanted Amperage readings at the compressor. I didn't see what the numbers were but I do know that they took readings.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

This is an interesting thread. I have had to replace both the front and rear AC units with in the last two years. Both were blowing warm air and were out of warranty. Luckily, I had the Good Sam extended warranty. I wonder who else has had defective units. We hardly used ours as we haven’t camped in hot temps. Very disappointing.
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:04 AM   #8
Site Team

I've been wondering if the new A/C will carry the 2-year warranty since it's a free replacement. I sure hope so.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:27 AM   #9
Site Team

Our rv is a 2010. I replaced the rear heat pump with an A/C only unit in 2018 (I think). Just a couple weeks ago the front started blowing warm. I was able to locate a couple capacitors (run/ hard-start) and was able to get it back working. They definitely aren't made to last if you ask me.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

well you have to remember these don't just sit there and blow cold air,driving down the road puts a beating on em.i'm surprised they last as long as they do.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 08:45 AM   #11
Site Team

It seems obvious that RV A/C systems is ripe for improvement. Things like lack of efficiency, high noise levels, vibration and repairability all are common issues in RV A/Cs.

I know the supply issues for Dometic and Coleman Mach are opening markets for GE, Truma and Furrion, but other than saying they are quieter I don't see much different in any of them.

PS. I saw that Lippert (LCI) purchased Furrion the other day. It seems LCI must have hundreds of items/systems in our RVs.
Old 08-15-2021, 06:02 PM   #12
1996 Itasca 29Q

RV AC Life

I swear by the soft-start addition, mine will run on a 15 amp circuit! Controlling the starting current will extend the life of any compressor!
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:24 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

since this is about AC failures: mine stopped just last night. Just stopped working, nothing at all so I suspected a power problem and went up to have a look. Took off the shroud, then the sheet metal covers. Inside is a small module which contains the electronics. It can be removed to see inside where connections are. The AC wiring from the RV attaches to a terminal block with set screws. The hot lead had come loose and not making contact. Return and ground were also very loose. Tightened them up. If it's dead and not doing anything something to check. Vibration probably. Assembly issue maybe. An EZ fix but FYI. We have a 2015 Vista.
abqnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 04:52 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Another Mach 8 13,500 + HP failure here. Front unit compressor failure just on the cusp of going out of warranty. Recorded the issue with Airxcel via email with the failure but wasn't able to get the coach back to the dealer until after warranty expired. All taken care of (coach was still under 3 year bumper-to-bumper and I got the AC labor covered by WBGO). Was informed that the compressor was locked up. I did have a Microair softstart installed (yanked it out before bringing in the coach for diagnosis) and suspected it might have contributed to the problem. Maybe that compressor needs a full-on jolt of alternating current to start spinning?
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 06:49 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

What kind of wait times are you all experiencing? I've been waiting over a month for a Colman replacement. Wondering if they may be under pressure to supply coach builders first because of the high RV demand?
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:15 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
What kind of wait times are you all experiencing? I've been waiting over a month for a Colman replacement. Wondering if they may be under pressure to supply coach builders first because of the high RV demand?
I brought my Forza to my dealer Oct 23, 2020. Got it back with new A/C on June 5, 2021. I don't think the dealer did anything until December (note to self: NEVER tell dealer "I'm in no hurry, take your time"). Around March I started nagging my dealer weekly, who replied Airxcel won't give any delivery estimate.
Finally in late May the dealer was able to get one shipped out to NJ and installed it the same day it was delivered.

Yeah I'm sure the manufacturers are screaming for the ACs. They're assembled in Wichita but I'll bet the compressor, motors and miscellaneous plumbing are Chinese bottlenecks.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 09:09 PM   #17
1996 Itasca 29Q

I doubt the soft start was the problem it provides a boost in current without the resulting drop in voltage which creates heat! Locked up means lack of lubricant or liquid in the cylinder.
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 03:59 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

I just had a problem with my air conditioner. I initially thought it was the generator, but turned out to be the capacitor for the air conditioner.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:18 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
So, my shop is handling all the warranty details with Coleman (Aircell) and is actually going to install a used A/C unit in my RV for me to use on our trip. And, then they'll swap it out when my replacement A/C finally arrives.

How's that for good service? From the shop, not from Coleman!
That is amazing service from your repair shop. My rear AC was ordered on 5/10 and is STILL not here! Have a cool trip in September!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:39 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
That is amazing service from your repair shop. My rear AC was ordered on 5/10 and is STILL not here! Have a cool trip in September!
I have used them off and on for 4-years. But really not that much. Just struck up a friendly banter with the guy that runs the place or owns it. I'm not sure.

When I picked up the RV with free loaner the very next day his brother told me that 15-mins after he offered me the loaner someone called and wanted to buy a used A/C from them.

Recently, they fixed my furnace, removed my front Sumo Springs and handled everything to do with my baseplate that failed on my MKX - and they installed the replacement and dealt with Blue Ox on everything. Before that they installed all my suspension upgrades.

So, even though they haven't fixed a bunch of mechanical issues they have done a fair amount of work each year.

Just got lucky on this one.