Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2021, 11:59 AM   #21
Site Team

Circling back to update this thread on my A/C problem.

First, the shop that does my RV repairs removed my broken bedroom A/C unit and being a Coleman-Mach dealer they handled all of the warranty claims for me. At that time they installed a LOANER Coleman-Mach A/C in the bedroom. The loaner isn't a low-profile like my original nor is it a heat-pump but it was installed for $220 total labor to remove the old and install the loaner. There was ZERO charge for a full month's use of the loaner.

They called me on the road 2-days ago to tell me my replacement A/C had arrived and I have an appointment to have the loaner removed and the new A/C installed on Tuesday next week. That will be at NO CHARGE because of the warranty on the broken A/C covers the labor.

During our trip it was unusually hot even in higher elevations in Colorado. So, the loaner A/C was really a plus on our month-long trip.

This kind of accommodation and service is never seen these days but is so appreciated and welcome. Who ever heard of a shop providing a free loaner A/C while your broken unit is being replaced? It's remarkable.

Oh, and when I called to make my appointment for the replacement they informed me that the day they put the used loaner a/c in my RV someone called them wanting to buy a used A/C unit - yet they told them "sorry" and installed the unit in my RV at only a labor charge for the install.

Amazing.

The shop is Texas RV Supply in San Antonio. Tony runs the shop and his brother Mark is the service writer.
Old 10-02-2021, 01:12 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Would be great if other shops would hear this story and decide that's how they should be doing business as well.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 04:49 PM   #23
Site Team

I copied and pasted CreativeParts post into an email to my service advisor at LaMesa RV in Davis CA. My AC has been on order since 5/10/21! You would think a large company like LaMesa would be able to get some ACs delivered.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 04:52 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
I copied and pasted CreativeParts post into an email to my service advisor at LaMesa RV in Davis CA. My AC has been on order since 5/10/21! You would think a large company like LaMesa would be able to get some ACs delivered.
Wow, I took my A/C problem in to the shop during the last week in August and it took about exactly one month for the replacement to come in.
Old 10-02-2021, 05:40 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

I too thought that with the strength of a large company, that would translate to a quick turnaround. Been waiting since mid June for mine. Glad to hear there are better successes out there.
Old 10-02-2021, 06:45 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmandoo62 View Post
well you have to remember these don't just sit there and blow cold air,driving down the road puts a beating on em.i'm surprised they last as long as they do.
They also need to have an A/C tech tap into the closed system and check the refrigerant charge...just like your home A/C units. The refrigerant also carries the compressor lubrication oil, as when the refrigerant leaks, or there is a low charge, the compressor piston has no oil...and the result, a compressor seize.

You also want to 'exercise' your compressor at least 12 times per year, (where weather affords you to) so the compressor seals as well as the piston rings have a coating of oil and not score, or dry out. Most of the R.V. T.T. compressor failures, is either a hard low-amperage start, or a compressor that has seen no regular refrigerant/oil circulation in the system.
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:51 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Seeker View Post
They also need to have an A/C tech tap into the closed system and check the refrigerant charge...
I, personally, have never encountered an RV Tech that was willing to "tap into the closed system". I've heard they exist in the wild, but I've never run into them in the RV jungle.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:57 AM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I too thought that with the strength of a large company, that would translate to a quick turnaround.
Here's a question... are LaMesa and other large RV dealerships "Authorized Warranty Centers" for Coleman-Mach products?

The guy I use is. He has a direct line to Airxcel's warranty department. He knew all the info they would require, including amp readings from various caps and compressors. Also, I saved the barcodes and label from the box of the A/C unit that I had installed 23-months earlier. All my service dept needed to do was shoot the barcodes with his scanner and fill out a few forms and boom it was all done.

I have located the Airxcel Warranty Claim page and it has several phone numbers to check on claims.

https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-m...ort/claims-rga
Old 10-03-2021, 10:34 AM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I, personally, have never encountered an RV Tech that was willing to "tap into the closed system". I've heard they exist in the wild, but I've never run into them in the RV jungle.
My non-Winnebago dealership will create the port (like your home system) and then can easily measure the refrigerant pressure in lbs, and can add, or fully replace the current charge with fresh and new (fresh lubricating oil) refrigerant, at your request.

If you have an inkling Creative, to a lead in the wild, I'd recommend you contact them, and see what they recommend in having a port installed into the closed system which then would allow you or your tech access to add or replace older refrigerant, at your beck and call. The closed system on an R.V. A/C is no different from your home set up....not all all, only diminutive in size and 'tonnage'.
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:40 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Here's a question... are LaMesa and other large RV dealerships "Authorized Warranty Centers" for Coleman-Mach products?
I think so, but will ask. For me, the unit is over 4 years old and out of warranty, so they are just ordering a new unit from their normal suppliers. My cost will be paid for by the extended warranty plan I have, so cost isn’t an issue, it’s just getting our hands on a new unit.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 04:42 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
I think so, but will ask. For me, the unit is over 4 years old and out of warranty, so they are just ordering a new unit from their normal suppliers. My cost will be paid for by the extended warranty plan I have, so cost isn’t an issue, it’s just getting our hands on a new unit.
Ditto