Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Installing a Samsung 197 BUT can't get the Norcold Out

How does Winnebago mount the Norcold 1200 at the top? And how would you get access to top back side?

I'm trying to get the Norcold 1200 out on my 2004 Chieftain to install a Samsung residential type. Pulled the 8 screws on the front top/bottom. Removed 2 bolts on each side of the back sides near the bottom. Looked in from the bottom vent to see the back side near the top but don't see any bolts/screws to remove.

Got the bottom to slide out about 2 inches but the top is firmly in place and won't budge.

I removed the refrigerator vent on the roof to see if I could access bolts/screws thru the roof. But that vent is screened in so I would have to break the roof seal and remove the whole vent to get my hand/arm inside to find something.

Please tell me what I need to do....I want to get rid of this Norcold!

Thx,
Bill
Old 10-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #2

Got a Sawzall?
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Duner, If I can remember correctly, there are a couple of tin L brackets anchoring the top of the fridge. I think I had to cut the wire mesh at the top vent to access them. I removed my Norcold a couple of years ago to install an Amish Built cooling unit. Take a flashlight up there and look thru the wire mesh first.

Hope this helps.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

My Norcold had one screw holding the top with a metal strap. I wouldn't cut the wire mesh for fear of getting debris in there when the inevitable birds build their nests. I had to break the seal and remove the refrigerator vent base. Sorry for the bad news. I was told that the screw on top was a Winnebago trait.

No big deal, just kind of messy to scrape all of the sealant off and clean the surfaces.
Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I just cuf the wire mesh enough to bend it open and remove the brackets then bend it back closed and wired it back in place.

Sammie
Old 10-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I had a major issue removing my Dometic frig to change the condensation hose that had deteriorated. Took all the screws out and could not budge the unit. Finally figured out the two side brackets had silicone behind them gluing them in place to the frame. Took hours to find all the silicone and peel the brackets from the frame.
MDPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Yeah, I got that son-of-a-gun out!

Once I got a taller ladder, so I could clearly see down the roof vent, there they were. Two brackets with 4 screws I had to remove. I was able to use long extension on my screw gun and get them out with just two small holes in the vent screen.

Thank you folks for the tips.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

You will never regret replacing the Norcold with a residential .
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Duner, Please take pictures of your installation and share them later. Even though I converted to an Amish Cooling Unit, I'm still considering making the change to a Samsung.

Thanks, Sammie
Old 10-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
You will never regret replacing the Norcold with a residential .
I noticed that you recently bought Full River AGM batteries. I ran the Samsung off the inverter/batteries via an extension cord to the garage to test the capacity of my 4 Trojan golf cart batteries. They are 7 yrs old and capacity is not like when they were new. The batteries kept it running only 12 hrs before the inverter cut off at 10.5 volts. I was going to get Trojan 6v AGM, but after reading your post, and a discussion with David Hodgson (a battery wholesaler), I decided to get the higher capacity 250 AH from Full River.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Duner, Please take pictures of your installation and share them later. Even though I converted to an Amish Cooling Unit, I'm still considering making the change to a Samsung.

Thanks, Sammie
You bet Sammie, I'll post some pix. My brother's got a nice cabinet shop and he will be doing the modifications. We'll have to lower the base of the cabinet about 5 inches and relocate some stuff immediately below the Samsung. But it will be 3 wks until we get the install going.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
I noticed that you recently bought Full River AGM batteries. I ran the Samsung off the inverter/batteries via an extension cord to the garage to test the capacity of my 4 Trojan golf cart batteries. They are 7 yrs old and capacity is not like when they were new. The batteries kept it running only 12 hrs before the inverter cut off at 10.5 volts. I was going to get Trojan 6v AGM, but after reading your post, and a discussion with David Hodgson (a battery wholesaler), I decided to get the higher capacity 250 AH from Full River.
Duner, actually I thought I was getting Trojan 6v AGM's but the distributor shipped Full River's to the golf car dealer from whom I purchased the batteries. I did not object to the switch since the Full Rivers were 224 amp hour vs. Trojan's 200 and I had already done the research on Full Rivers, which indicated they were a good choice. I just could not find a Full River dealer in my area. The golf car dealer had not heard of them and these were the first he had seen. Mine are the DC 224-6.

I've not really put them to a test. My fridge is a 2006/7 model Amana so suspect it is not as energy efficient as your Samsung. I did let it run on inverter for about 4 hours and the battery voltage was hovering around 12.5/12.4V when I reconnected to shore power.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, norcold