Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-15-2023, 07:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

A/C not Cooling 2004 Itasca Sunrise

Good Morning everyone!

I have a 2004 Itasca Sunrise with a heatpump/AC unit. There was a DC electrical event that took out the fuseable link and the starter. After that, (maybe related, maybe not) the ac no longer works. There is a line that freezes near the compressor. The coils do not freeze, just the line. I have cleaned both coils, but they were not really all that dirty to begin with. Any ideas where I should look. My hope is there is a dc fuse somewhere but I dont' think dc has anything to do with it. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for you input!..

Scott G.
ipoverord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 08:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Thermostat controls are 12V. Some A/C units have a 12V module inside that powers the A/C and furnace controls.
What is the make and model of your A/C unit? Is the fan motor(some have 2) running?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 07:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for your input.
The AC is Colem Mach oh the Roof unit and Thermostat say the same thing. would it be helpful for me to pull the cover for for specifics?
Old 08-17-2023, 08:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

The fan blows and it sounds like the compressor is running. I just tested and it also appears the heatpump does not work. I tried electric heat and it is the same as AC. Checked the fuse in the thermostat and it seems fine. I am attaching pictures of what it looks like on the outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2509.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	357.9 KB
ID:	186993   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2508.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	186994  

Old 08-17-2023, 08:21 AM   #5
Site Team

There is a control board inside the A/C inside the RV. Take off the inside trim around the A/C in your interior ceiling and you should see a box with electrical connections up in the unit. It could a board in there that was effected by the DC “event.”

Or, it could be a coincidence that your 19-yr old A/C decided to go out at the same time as your other problems. It wouldn’t be the first time.
Old 08-17-2023, 09:03 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Control board

Is this it? Is there a fuse I can replace or would you suspect the whole board. And I agree could just be a really old AC.

Also, Thank you for taking the time to engage in this discussion. I really appreciate your input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2510.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	186996  
Old 08-17-2023, 10:06 AM   #7
Site Team

That's it. I have no idea what's inside, I just know that it has yellow wires going in to it and yellow wires are 12v+ wires in Winnebago world.

The thermostat connects there usually.

I know nothing more than that. Fuses?? I doubt it, but don't know. A circuit board that could have blown? You'll have to look.

I've had trouble with Coleman-Mach A/Cs lasting 4 years reliably - my RV is 6 years old and I'm on my 3rd counting the OEM unit. So, to me if your's has lasted 19 years you are doing really well compared to me.
Old 08-17-2023, 10:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thank you . I will investigate. Sounds like buying a new one may not be a good call with the issues you have faced. I'll look at a board and see what it costs.
Old 08-17-2023, 10:39 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoverord View Post
I'll look at a board and see what it costs.
Throwing parts at it can be expensive folly. Do, they even still have a circuit board for an old A/C unit?

Rooftop A/C units, I'm sorry to say, are considered disposable, not repairable.

Before buying a circuit board I'd at least check the start/run capacitors, have a tech check amperage on start up, etc. Coleman-Mach publishes exact amp ranges that will indicate a broken A/C to a tech.

My issues are luck of the draw. I have two A/Cs on my roof and only one has had issues.
Old 08-17-2023, 11:27 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I looked up the board and lt looks like there is a 5 amp dc fuse. I will check that and maybe get lucky. Then find an ac guy before doing any investments. Thanks again. I’ll let you know what I find
Old 08-20-2023, 06:15 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I'm missing the part about resetting the a/c breaker.
Old 08-20-2023, 10:27 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickb46 View Post
I'm missing the part about resetting the a/c breaker.
Post 4 he said it runs.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, itasca