Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-31-2020, 02:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Vectra Black tank inlet leak

2005 Winnebago Vectra black tank leak.

I apparently have a leak in the black water tank below the floor of the coach where the waste water enters the tank. This leaked once when driving the coach from an RV park to top off the fuel tank. This is the first time I have driven it without emptying the black tank. One other time I apparently put in too much water when flushing the black tank and it also leaked into the cargo compartment. Although I did not overflow the tank, it leaked.

It does not leak under normal use, only as described above.

There is no leak inside the coach, only into the cargo compartment. I can just see a small area of the black tank from the cargo compartment and I can see where water has run down the side of the tank indicating where it is coming from but I cannot see anymore than the side of the tank. There are also witness marks that this has leaked previously.

I am assuming, since there is not much to see, that it is leaking from the rubber gasket installed in the black tank that the toilet pipe inserts into to connect to the black water tank.

Has anyone had any experience or pictures of what could be leaking? I am searching for as much information as I can find before I take anything apart.

I did find a thread from 2007 describing the same issue, but nothing more.... https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...eak-31055.html

All help is appreciated to get this figured out.

Thank you,
KMackk
KMackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

There are two online spots that I would first check to see where there might be leaks at the top of the tank. Both require knowing which of the five models of 2005 Vectra you have but from there it is fairly easy to look at both the parts catalog as well as the plumbing diagrams:
https://www.winnebago.com/owners/own...s-and-diagrams

I would assume it is one of two rubber grommets, one on the vent pipe and the other under the stool but you may be able to tell more by tilting the coach and flooding to see if you can spot which.
While the vent pipe is likely to be in the wall, the stool might be the easier of the two too access for repair.
Messy but less than removing a wall?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Richard,

It is a Vectra 40AD.

It appears to me it is under the toilet and not the vent pipe from where the stains are on the side of the tank that I can see. I do have a plumbing diagram and it seems to verify this. I am in an RV park here in Austin Texas and it has been raining all day, tomorrow I should be able to look further.

Do you know which gaskets I should have once I start this project? If I remove the toilet, it looks like there are 2 sets of gaskets, one under the bowl and one at the base and I guess I better replace them all? And the gasket that inserts into the black tank.

Looking for any and all input before I tear into this.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I'm not seeing what I might expect on the drawing for that model. I see the closet flange which is pretty much like we would find in a home setup where there is a plastic shape to drop down into the pipe below and then screwed down to the floor but I don't see any signs of a grommet or seal at the point below the floor.

Since the water is landing on top of the tank rather than coming out on the floor above, I was thinking of that spot but must be wrong.
Is it likely that the leak is on top of the floor but leaking through and down instead of on the floor? That probably requires taking the stool out to see where it is wet.

One way to get a better idea is to give Winnebago a call to get an exact model number for the seal as I understand that folks do often get good service on calls.

Next best idea I would have is to pick up one of these seals at a local place like Wal-Mart or Home Depot to have on hand and hope it is the correct one.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/THETFORD...8002702?NCNI-5

That is not a great idea when we are needing to use the thing------just the best idea I have!
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2020, 09:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I'm not seeing what I might expect on the drawing for that model. I see the closet flange which is pretty much like we would find in a home setup where there is a plastic shape to drop down into the pipe below and then screwed down to the floor but I don't see any signs of a grommet or seal at the point below the floor.

Since the water is landing on top of the tank rather than coming out on the floor above, I was thinking of that spot but must be wrong.
Is it likely that the leak is on top of the floor but leaking through and down instead of on the floor? That probably requires taking the stool out to see where it is wet.

One way to get a better idea is to give Winnebago a call to get an exact model number for the seal as I understand that folks do often get good service on calls.

Next best idea I would have is to pick up one of these seals at a local place like Wal-Mart or Home Depot to have on hand and hope it is the correct one.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/THETFORD...8002702?NCNI-5

That is not a great idea when we are needing to use the thing------just the best idea I have!
I did see other breakdowns of the gaskets, and I can find them. I think I will just have to get into this a see what is there. The thing with this is, that the water is coming UP out of the tank below the floor and running into the cargo area, not coming down on top of it and then running into the cargo area. That is why I think it is the gasket in the inlet hole of the tank. More later when I get this opened up...
Old 01-01-2021, 07:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Sounds like you have a better view on your RV. Sometimes being bold is the only way to go. Good luck!

Tags
black tank, leak, tank