Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-25-2023, 08:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Replacing Momentary Sink Drain Switch at Outdoor Kitchen

Does anyone like having a Momentary Switch that you must press and hold to drain water from a Outdoor Kitchen sink to the Black tank?

It has been 4 years for us and I don't get the benefit. What am I missing?

My cons...
1. When washing hands the sink fills with dirty water
2. When washing dishes or trying to rinse something off; unless you can press and hold switch button, it is a pain reaching back and forth to clean.
3. The dirt and grime just builds around sink basin and you have to keep rinsing and pressing the switch until sink is clean.
4. You can't easily use the sink drain pump to pump unwanted fresh water into black tank without manually holding that switch for a long time

The only positive I can think of is that you can't accidentally leave ON to drain battery.

Here is what I am looking to do as next Mod.

I have found where I can order a Custom Switch with RED LEDs that will have the custom words "SINK DRAIN" I will need to redo the wiring to support LEDs for ON/OFF.

Am I asking for trouble going this route? My thinking is that with the two RED LEDs; we are not likely to leave pump on. The pump noise when running can be heard anyway.

Would love all thoughts or feedback even if you don't have outdoor sink.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 08:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Switch relay delay module $ 5.22

You could use the existing momentary push button switch to trigger this module, it can be set to any duration from a few seconds to 5 minutes. If pump stopped you would just push button again.

The pump Winnebago used is likely very cheap and not intended to be left on for more than a 5 or 10 minutes at a time then it needs to be left off an equal amount of time to cool down and recover so keep that in mind. Why I'd not be putting a toggle switch that could be left on by mistake on it.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 08:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Switch relay delay module $ 5.22

You could use the existing momentary push button switch to trigger this module, it can be set to any duration from a few seconds to 5 minutes. If pump stopped you would just push button again.

The pump Winnebago used is likely very cheap and not intended to be left on for more than a 5 or 10 minutes at a time then it needs to be left off an equal amount of time to cool down and recover so keep that in mind. Why I'd not be putting a toggle switch that could be left on by mistake on it.
This is interesting to be able to delay the cutoff. Our new custom switch shipped today $17

It is ShurFlo Pump and it will run dry. It is the exact same pump WBGO uses for Freshwater. Also since my coach does not have a gravity freshwater drain, you have to run the pump until all 70 gallons are out to winterize.

My wife and I view leaving it on being akin to leaving the Garbage disposal on by mistake. It just never happens. That pump is right underneath the outdoor sink, so you may turn it off because of the noise. But we think the real measure to turn off is when you turn off the water, it will be natural to make sure all water is out of the sink, we do a wipe down of the sink and turn pump OFF.

If the above is not enough the switch will have 2 Red LEDS to let you know it is ON.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 09-29-2023, 04:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Momentary Switch Successfully replaced with Custom Switch

I received the new Custom Red Switch today for Sink Drain.

This switch was made by a different Mfg than the Bath switch. I had to figure the differences in the wiring logic. Initially this switch had the bottom LED (SINK DRAIN) to stay Lit on 24/7 as long as there was power. I got that figured out; so it is now wired to behave as the bath switch whereby both LEDs only light up when the switch is ON.

I think L1v3 would have been proud of me because after I rigged up the wiring; I saw an advantage of the Adapter because the contacts were too close and it could short / activate switch when not intended. So I used the Adapter for wire JG 12v+ and the wire DA output to the pump, I put the connectors on opposite ends to give more room because the male spade ends from my switch wiring was not insulated. I think had L1v3 been watching he would have made me redo the ground. The white wire I made for ground to tap into an existing ground wire NO was about 4" too short to use the same adapter I prolly should go back and create a new wire so the ground can use the adaptor too, but I was just glad it was working and left it alone. I guess it is okay to take shortcuts when you are not a professional

I will have to to get new pictures at night, but I can see the Red LEDs as well as hear the pump, no chance of pump being left on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230929_170954.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	187436   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230929_171009.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	187437  

Old 09-29-2023, 06:55 PM   #5
Just Trying to Help

dkoldman-

Custom actuator, yes? It says "SINK DRAIN" instead of "BILGE PUMP." From which supplier did you order the switch?

I'm not a professional, by the way. ;-)

Quote:
Also since my coach does not have a gravity freshwater drain, you have to run the pump until all 70 gallons are out to winterize.
Hmm... Does the piping under the outdoor sink have these two valves (hot and cold water)? Can they serve as low-point drain valves for the fresh water tank and piping?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Winnebago 29VE Outdoor Sink Drain Piping.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	187438  
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 09:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
dkoldman-

Custom actuator, yes? It says "SINK DRAIN" instead of "BILGE PUMP." From which supplier did you order the switch?

Here is the Custom Switch. https://www.ebay.com/itm/223682618249

It comes with Custom Logo option but I didn't want to fool with artwork, besides I am a boat guy and their bilge pump logo looks like a sink with a pump as well as boat bilge and pump. WBGO had DRAIN PUMP as OEM but since it was custom, SINK DRAIN is better description. I actually like the the Blue Light seller on Amazon better, but he could not make a custom switch. The Custom Switch maker did not want to include the jumper wires, but I made him add them for no extra charge.

I'm not a professional, by the way. ;-)

That is in the eye of the beholder, in my view you are the ultimate professional that goes beyond to help. It is not unnoticed.

Hmm... Does the piping under the outdoor sink have these two valves (hot and cold water)? YES Can they serve as low-point drain valves for the fresh water tank and piping? YES, but the fresh water pump must be ON, I have two sets of Low Point Drains and both must be open to drain the entire plumbing system
I took new pictures to see the Red LEDs better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20230929_212924.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	187439   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230929_212951.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	187440  

Old 09-30-2023, 04:00 AM   #7
Just Trying to Help

dkoldman-

The new pictures show the switch well.

Thanks for the info (on the custom switch), the explanation (on the drains) and the compliment.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, switch