Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-23-2023, 02:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

No Electric hot water 2020 Micro Minnie 2108DS

I have a 2020 2108DS.

I recently had my water heater serviced by a dealer just to change the electric rod out. Now, it doesn't work on electric. But, it works fine on propane. The breaker is good.
dcgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 11:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings dcgreen,
Is it possible that the electric heating rod wasn't the problem? Glad that it does work on propane, which really isn't all that bad anyway. Does everything seem to be connected? Can you ask your dealer what might be wrong? If you have a multi-meter, can you read voltage go to and coming out of the thermostat?
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 08-24-2023, 07:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

No Electric Hot Water

Thanks Eagle5,

I'll check the thermostat although I thought that since it works fine on propane it must be good. I'll also check to make sure I'm getting power to the heating element. I think the dealer was confused about my concern with the water heater "anode" wearing out so they offered to replace it. But, it seems this water heater has a heating "element" instead. It could be they replaced the wrong part.
Old 08-24-2023, 09:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sounds like confusion on parts if like what I've seen.
there is the anode rod to hold downcorrosion on the types which use rods. Those are screwed in at the drains if when they are eaten away to far to trust any longer.

But then there is the heating element which heats with AC power.

Totally different animals, doing fully different things.

If you had confirmed having a bad element and they changed the anode, you WILL still have a bad heating element! But before changing either, I would want to do some looking testing to see which may/may not be bad.

On testing the heatingelement it is much like a light bulb. If you have power going in, it has to be seen coming out at the other wire to prove continuity through the element!
Or you can disconnect wires on each end of the element and do a continuity check.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 09:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

My unit was delivered by the dealer with a defective hot water heater which ran only on LP gas. I painstakingly replaced everything, the controller, the thermostats, the flame induced cutoff, and one last item. The last thing I replaced was the heating element. When I took it out it had a pinhole looking blemish. Upon replacement the electric heater worked fine. Murphy says the last thing you replace is probably the item that needs replacement. I now have spare parts for most everything. I even purchased another heating element and a socket for easy replacement in the field.

I did not replace the relay, but I purchased an extra one just in case.

I now know everything about Dometic water heaters.

Check your heating element.
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 12:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Heating element for anode rod

They may have replaced your heating element with a new anode rod instead of a new electric part. Our elec/propane water heater doesn’t have an anode rod, and neither did the last one we had. Unscrew the part they replaced and see what it is. I’d check with them about what they did.
Joette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 01:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

No hot water with electric

Yes, I think you are right. I think they put the wrong part in. Not communicating with them anymore since they were supposed to fix 5 things didn't fix any and broke 3 other things. I'm doing my own work now or calling mobile tech. I'll check it when done travelling. Thx.
Old 08-28-2023, 07:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quick way to check

I was telling hubby about this and he said a quick way to check was just look and see if there are electric wires going to the end of the plug. If not, it’s an anode rod.
Joette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 08:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

No electric hot water

OK. Thanks

Tags
water