Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-09-2021, 04:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Fresh Water Tank - Travel Full or Partially Full?

I'm new to RVing. I have a new Winnebago View. When I travel, should I partially fill the fresh tank (say 15-20 gal.) or the full 30 gal or 0? The first few places we are going to do provide potable water, and I plan on filtering it. But I understand that in many places the water is questionable. Is traveling with a full tank hard on the vehicle or tank? Hope this question makes sense - just want to know what most RV'ers do.
Larry A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We normally start out with about 1/3 full or less, enough to flush, wash, make coffee and water the dogs. Remember water weighs 8.3 pounds per gallon, my Navion tank is 31 gal, if I was full that would be 257 pounds
Old 02-09-2021, 04:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hello Larry,
I am probably not the best person to reply on this but I will. We are only in our third year as RV owners and we travel with our water tank full. I can see no difference in the ride or fuel efficiency and we are still well within the maximum load limit for the vehicle and tires. We like being able to use it like we live in it even while we are on the road. We have a class A 33v Suncruiser.
GJCruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:46 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the quick reply & info.
Larry A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

We generally travel with 1/3 or less. Enough for flushing or washing. In our old travel trailer, a full tank ~50Gal would cause the tires to wear a little differently and the weight balance was different.

On our current Vista, a Full tank would be almost 100 gal and over 800lbs all sitting behind the axle. It probably doesn't affect our CCC as we have over 4000lbs of capacity, 3,200lb with a full water tank, but I know A full tank will change your weight distribution and handling.

A 30 gal tank is just another large adult in that location, up to you if that fits your needs or are close to CCC and would prefer to use that extra 200lbs on other items.
Pisgah LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We want enough to use while we travel but not usually near full as we expect to top up where we settle and go with pressure water most of the time. We do find a few places where the water is not prime but during the cooler weather it is less problem as it is often algae in the water which we taste or smell, so we also almost always have a few jugs of water stored for making coffee, etc. I might guess a third tank is normal for us.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

The answer to every question is, It depends.

If we expect to pull in to FHU, we travel 1/2 +/-. Biological breaks happen!

The last morning before we hit that secluded BLM hide way, we top off.

Having said that, as pisqah & cruiser noted, we haven't noticed performance differences full or empty. Altho hope springs eternal.

(On a side note: while we are getting beat up by wind on the I-40 between Amarillo and Albuquerque, this old ballasting officer is comforted by that extra weight lowering our CG (center of gravity) Do the math.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

A lot of people talk about the weight of a full tank of water causing lowered gas mileage, extra weight in the RV, etc.

Keep in mind 30 gallons of water weighs about 240 pounds in an Class C motorhome with a max weight of around 14,000 pounds. The difference between a 1/3 of a tank of water, 80 pounds, and a full tank, 240 pounds, isn't going to make enough difference in the rig to worry about.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:39 AM   #9
Living The Dream

We now have our third View/Navion, a total of about 12 years with them. We routinely travel with no more than 1/3 tank of fresh water.

After discovering what can be the challenges of CCC (cargo carrying capacity) on Sprinter-based motorhomes, we have loaded each much like we intend to travel, then weighed them at a CAT Scale (truckstop type). Each time the actual scale results indicated the need to closely manage overall weight and keeping the fresh water tank fairly low is an easy way to help with that.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:11 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have a view/navion as well. With the sprinter chassis, CCC is a concern. For me a full load would be 250lbs or so, I I routinely carry 1/3 tank or so as well. If I were going somewhere to boondock, then I would carry a full load. Sprinter RV's routinely run at max weight or over, so minimizing weight is more an issue than other RV's
misteracng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:35 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

we have an e450 based class c, and only carry about 1/3 tank of water as we usually stay in a rv park.
We only use the on board water for toilet and hand and dish washing so 1/3 tank is usually sufficient. We have never used the shower in any rv (TT or mh) so no need to have full tanks. We do carry a case of bottled water for drinking purposes. If you plan to shower etc then carry a full tank, but other than that really do you have a need for it? Your choice.
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:14 PM   #12
Itasca owner

I try to travel and also keep the tank pretty full. It's nice to know I have a source if something happens at home, plus we went to one of our fave campgrounds for 3 days and found their water was shut down. I only had about 1/3 tank but we made it last. Finally, as said above, with a class A there is lots of weight I can carry and it doesn't make any difference.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Our Itasca Sunova motorhome weighs about 13 tons, so whether our fresh water tank is full or nearly empty has little, if any, effect on our mileage. If we plan to be traveling for a full day we'll usually have our water tank 2/3 full, so we have enough water for sanitation, beverage and meal preparation before we arrive at our campsite.
lewisedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:28 PM   #14
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 27

We tend to travel other a full tank of water, and we carry several jugs of potable water for tea and coffee as well. Weight difference and fuel consumption inconsequential. Wife showers in the unit and exclusively uses the on board facilities.
It’s our road home so why not?
Evan If we have been at a CG with water I’ll always top up water and dump tanks before departure -you never know where the next night might be
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:33 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

We keep our 100gal full. Makes no difference in fuel mileage, haven't noticed handling issues. I figure why not have a full tank, you never know what may happen while traveling....
Old 02-14-2021, 04:35 PM   #16
Site Team

From The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Water, water, every where,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, every where,
Nor any drop to drink.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:54 PM   #17
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Where are you going?

If I知 heading to a site with full hook up I値l do 1/3. If I知 heading to somewhere I can top up before going to my final destination that has no hook up? I値l take 1/3, fill up close to my destination so I値l have full tanks when I get there.

Than the case of nowhere to top. Up. I値l fill at home then turn off my overflow pipe so I don稚 lose any water. Once I. Get to the waterless site I値l open the overflow valve to allow air in and..... bobs your uncle
Old 02-14-2021, 05:12 PM   #18
JCM
Winnebago Camper

You never know when you get stopped by the unit braking down, weather etc. - nice to have water. J found all 4 of my motorhomes ran smoother since the suspension was working.
Old 02-14-2021, 06:08 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

For me the difference between 1/3 and full just isn't enough to worry about. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. As others have pointed out, plans can be changed, and you can't always take for granted that you'll end up where you planned to any given day.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:35 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

When we are traveling long distances in our 2017 View 24D with only overnight stops, i discovered that it is most convenient to carry a full tank of water. That way you do no have to hook up and unhook water and sewer every time you stop for the night at a campground. Plug in, spend the night, unplug, go. It is also convenient for overnight stops at Walmart, etc. When water runs low or tanks are full, hook up, empty, refill, spend the night go. I have not found the water weight to make a difference. We do not tow a vehicle and rent when needed.

Tags
fresh water, tank, travel, water