Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-03-2022, 09:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

By pass valve on 1996 Winnebago vectra model 35WQ

I have recently purchased a used 1996 Winnebago Vectra Model 35WQ. I want to sanitize the water system. The manual says the hot water bypass valve is located in the space beneath the refrigerator. I’m have accessed this space and can find no valves. The heater is however connected to a solenoid type looking device. Is this the valve? I need your help!.
Markthezeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 10:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

The old dog Winnebagos never die --- but the info gets scarce!
So a place to get help to find and ID things is here:
Parts catalog https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

For your specific year, make, model:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...6/96km35wq.pdf
The older info is not as nice as new as information systems have moved a long way in 25 years so we have to do more guessing and hunting.
The info on your RV is laid out in alphabetic order and water and sewer are where you are speaking, so it is way down around page 79, where I did a look and found the info in this snip.
Click the snip to get a better view?

It says there is a two posiotn valve called a bypass so best guess is that it is not the solenoid but most likely a smallish handle type valve to turn to bypass the water heater.
I might first guess where the back of the heater would be hidden and possibly behind a panel to remove but very near the back of the water heater, I would expect to find a valve in the water line going to the heater tank to stop water going into the tank and let it just go past (bypass) the tank.

Newer we get all kinds of great info, less so on Rv with more "experience" !!!

Sorry, but the best I've got.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bypass.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	181601  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 11:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you

Thank yu Richard. I will check out the links. I think the solenoid device is part of the winterizing systems. I think I am going to have open a hole up in a side panel to get a better view of what’s back there. The winterizing device is a Swan. I have a drawing of it but it’s not very clear.
Old 01-03-2022, 01:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I don't know if you have gone there but there may be info in the owners manual. One would think it would fit but that's a guess.
The manual should have been passed along from owner to owner but then there are lots of things that should happen and don't! So try looking at the Winnebago main site for links to owners manual if one is not on hand?

Update!
Your manual is here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...6/96Vectra.pdf

Page 11-1 involves winterize process but it referrs you back to page 8-11! Duh??
But when I got there I may have hit a good section?
See if this fits for you? On my Vista, the access panel was actually a thin plywood sheet that was stapled to the frame and had to be bowed to get it out from behind a couple things sticking out---so approach with an open mind!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bypass 1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	181603  
Old 01-03-2022, 05:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I have succeeded

I found the,info that I needed in the bigger pack of material that I got with the sale. The valve has a switch for automatic bypass. It’s actually part of the winterazation system.
Old 01-03-2022, 07:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Good deal! I've found that lots of small pointsin the online manuals are "generic" and different RV have lots of options that are not mentioned. Glad you found what you need!

Tags
winnebago