Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-18-2023, 02:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2017 Era 170 plumbing/tanks questions

Hi, newbie.... i don't get any reading on gray tank... is it bad sensor side issue or is the gray valve bad n it's flowing into the black? This thing behaves as if the gray tank is in series with black tank... in fact, I can't empty the gray unless black is open.... is it possible that the gray is in series with black tank ? And if the gray sensors are working correctly, maybe my gray valve is bad ?. I tried to figure this out with 2 different dye colors....it looked like the gray n black tank didn't mix for black tank but when I opened the gray, it seems like it was mixing with black at the exit.... idk...I just can't figure it out ..I'm following the manual
Please advise....
James R
Jjrho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 04:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

As for the indication lights, use them as a guide do not really rely on them. I myself have never had lights that truly work.

The grey and black plumbing never meet each other.

You may find help with this link

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...m/Plumbing.htm

Also for the great folks here to help you please put the year, model, any other info in the signature block. After looking further I do see your model number is in heading. Looking at the plumbing diagram more info is needed to get the correct layout.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 07:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Again we need to know which model but in general there will be two tanks and two different valves as in this snip of the A model. You may want to do a check of this great interactive site for your exact correct model:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

One way to spot the black is the stool often drops directly into it, while other plumbing like the kitchen uses piping to run around to a different tank?
Click this snip to get the way most are built!
Click image for larger version

Name:	era.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	186669

We normally expect two tanks, each having a valve to open/close flow which then goes out to dump. Since solids may tend to dry and clog, it is often best to make sure there is enough water in the black tank to keep the solids floating, etc. (yuck!) and then when nearing full, dump the entire tank. It can cause some real jams if you set at a campsite with the black valve open and let all the liquid run out and a pile of solids build up in the black tank! Keep it wet and keep it moving!

Readings are famous for being wrong! But the only time the tanks are connected is if we open both valves at the same time and that is not recommended as it can let solids from the black wash into the grey and most like to keep them seperated as a way to first dump the solids and then close that valve and open the grey as a way to "flush" the solids out of the drain hose!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 08:21 AM   #4
Site Team

Hello, and welcome.

We really are going to need to know if you have an A, C, M or X model Era. And there are two distinct versions of the A model. So if it’s an A we’ll need to know your serial number (not VIN).

There is an official placard on your RV that has all the build, VIN, serial etc. Your model info should be like 2017 Era 70M or similar. The 2017 Era is the 100 series but goes by the “70” not “170”.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0283.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	186670  
Old 07-18-2023, 08:29 AM   #5
Site Team

The image in my post above is from your Operator’s Manual. Do you have the Operator’s Manual for your Era 70? Sometimes they go missing with used RVs.

Here’s a link to the online PDF version:

https://www.winnebago.com/Admin/Publ...2016/16Era.pdf
Old 07-18-2023, 02:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

wow, great reference link...thank you so much...i have a better understanding now...
j.rho
Old 07-18-2023, 02:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

mine is 15172W1 series... i ve been told that my model may have a a mid year change in plumbing.... that I have to open the black valve to drain my gray tank.... which appears to be the case.... it makes sense, clean out the black with gray water BUT in my previous sightseer, i had to close the black valve, and gray just cleaned the little bit of plumbing ,where as on my current 2017 era 170, I have to open the black valve , to empty the gray tank.... which makes me think that the gray tank empties into black and then emptie....
what do you guys think ?

james R
Old 07-18-2023, 03:14 PM   #8
Site Team

Great! I see you've added model info to a Signature in your Profile.

Thank you!

Here is a link to your 2017 Era 70X drainage plumbing diagram:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../000179431.pdf
Old 07-18-2023, 03:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

i just checked, yes ,it's a 70x with w1...earlier series, so should have traditional plumbing....

i also noticed that my gray valve handle is sticking out much further, where as the black valve handle is right against the wall..., but they both feel ok.... if that makes any difference...

i noticed that the black tank fills up much quicker than i expected it too and given that I put more volume down gray tank, and with gray tank meter showing nothing EVER, as in showing empty the whole time, it just feels like the gray is emptying into the black tank some how....if that's possible...; the black showed almost FULL, while gray was empty, even though i put more stuff into gray....shower, sink use, etc...

please comment...
james R
2017 Era 70X 15172w1
Old 07-18-2023, 03:28 PM   #10
Site Team

Here's a link to the 2017 Era Touring Coach brochure. You'll see the tank capacities there. The Black tank has a 9 gal capacity and the Grey has a 19 gal capacity. So, it's not a wonder that the black is filling up that much faster.

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/Imag...-digital.x.pdf

Also, the tank level monitors are notoriously inaccurate. Especially when not on level ground.
Old 07-26-2023, 07:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

tank level issues

well, brought it to a rv shop in redlands , cA... they found and showed me that the gray tank sensor wire was pinched under the black tank and had been chewed cut by the rubbing so, I had NO gray tank reading ... anyway, now I am waiting on a valve for the shower , which is leaking when I turn the water ON at the shower but not when it's in closed mode..... the little valve from moen is $95 on amazon !!!, they will test the valve competancy when the shower is fixed, as the pump can not be turned on right now....

anyway, i'm pre sure that I can not empty the gray tank UNLESS my black tank valve is PULLED out/open..... it's possible because the black tank is sitting physically ABOVE the gray tank, so gray can not flow back up into black...

btw, another Q: if i want to put water into the fresh water tank from a 5 gallon canisters of fresh water , how do I go about ? can i use a hand /drill pump to put the water into the fresh water inlet ? is there any other gravity fill port for fresh water on a 2017 Era 70x ? i don't see one....

please advise, thanks all !

james R
2017 Winn Era 70x
Old 07-26-2023, 07:41 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Okay, it looks like a new one every time I look!
You do have an odd setup on draining and I think you do have it right.

Click these snips from the interactive parts drawings to get a better view!

A view from the back of the shower/stool combo. We can see the stool drops straight into the black tank on top of the grey tank. We can also ID the grey tank as below as the vanity sink drains to the lower tank.

Name:	dr1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	186770

If we turn the drawing a bit we can see the large pipe goes down and around the grey tank to a black water drain valve. I marked that valve in red?

Name:	dr4.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	186771

But if we look at the grey tank, the drain comes down to a grey tank valve (marked in orange?) before it then goes to a fitting in the black tank line BEFORE the black valve!
So to get the grey water out, you DO have to open both valves!

Really different than most RV!

When needing to gravity fill the fresh water tank, I found setting up my portable tank with a fitting to allow me to connect a hose to stick in the gravity fill worked for me. A pump would have been nice but we did not do it that often to make me set it up.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, plumbing