Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-21-2022, 01:11 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Tablet for Android Auto Headunit

My new Jeep toad has a great display in a convenient location that works great with Android Auto running on my phone. I wanted to have the same experience in my Vista but my radio does not support it. In addition, the display on the radio is way too small and located too far from the driver's seat. So just replacing the radio was not an appealing option for me.

I designed and 3D printed a stand for an old 10" tablet. I mounted it to the dash in a convenient location with double stick tape so it can easily be removed. I then installed an app (Headunit Reloaded) on the tablet to act as an Android Auto headunit. So Android Auto runs on my phone as normal but the display and touchscreen interface is on the tablet.

The picture below is a little deceiving because of the angle of the camera it looks like the tablet would block my view of the road. That is not the case for me when driving. I do think a 7" or 8" tablet would be plenty big enough but I had a 10". In addition, if I do decide to go with a smaller tablet, I can just 3D print a new top for my dash mount. I also have a 6" Garmin GPS that is mounted on top of the dash that is at the same level as the tablet. I never use turn-by-turn voice prompts so I haven't really worried about audio but I did check that it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tablet hu.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	184496  
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote