Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-05-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper
 
herbertgk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 38
Replacement of TV

We are going to replace both TV's with new LCD's in our 2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38T. Any ideas on mounts and TV brands would be appreciated.
Herb
herbertgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner
 
pameridan04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 230
Hi Herb:

Do a SEARCH on this site. This has been done many times before. There are even some posts with pictures.

Regards JimP.
__________________
Meridian 2004 36G DP
2010 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Two HD's for company
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper
 
W4MBG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 37
i will be going with a 32" vizio razor led/lcd on a home-made mount. the PO had built a very strong mount where the oem tv had been, so i figure i can re-use that. and the vizio razors are very thin and light.
__________________
1999 Winnebago Minnie 29', Ford V10, Close to stock.
W4MBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 433
Look for a model with "Variable" audio output - the ability to adjust the volume with the TV remote when using your Surround system. Many LCDs only have 'fixed' audio out and depend on a surround sound amplifier and remote to adjust the volume. Not sure which you have, but the older River Park systems didn't have a remote and depend on the TV to set the volume level.
__________________
Ed & Joie
2004 Vectra 40KD
Freightliner Chassis and Cummins ISC
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palisade CO
Posts: 895
You can see pictures of my 32 inch TV installation HERE.

I made two sides, top, back and bottom out of 3/4 inch plywood.
Probably overkill but I wanted 3/4 inches on the right side where I installed the articulating arm for strength and I just wanted to buy one sheet of plywood.
The arm is held with two 1/4 inch bolts with fender washers under the nuts. The top one goes through the steel framework Winnebago uses around the cabinet.

I put the back piece of plywood in last so it could be easily removed to have access to the area behind the cabinet to run wires to the electronics in the cabinets on each side. (5 disc DVD/CD/Mp3 player, VHS player, satellite receiver, Wilson cellphone amplifier, Wilson Trucker cellphone antenna downlead coax,KR1 wireless router and and Verizon aircard).

Before installing the plywood pieces I covered them with laminate flooring left over from my flooring project. I stole that idea from pace89. If you search for his user name he has a good post showing what he did.

I had to trim about 1/4 inch off the cabinet doors on each side of the TV. A little Light Oak stain and some polyurethane varnish and you can't tell they were trimmed.

A couple of the pictures show what I used for the travel hold downs. I put some weather stripping on the back of the hold down bars to protect the TV face.
__________________
Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise
 
Clifftall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
You can see pictures of my 32 inch TV installation HERE.

I made two sides, top, back and bottom out of 3/4 inch plywood.
Probably overkill but I wanted 3/4 inches on the right side where I installed the articulating arm for strength and I just wanted to buy one sheet of plywood.
The arm is held with two 1/4 inch bolts with fender washers under the nuts. The top one goes through the steel framework Winnebago uses around the cabinet.

I put the back piece of plywood in last so it could be easily removed to have access to the area behind the cabinet to run wires to the electronics in the cabinets on each side. (5 disc DVD/CD/Mp3 player, VHS player, satellite receiver, Wilson cellphone amplifier, Wilson Trucker cellphone antenna downlead coax,KR1 wireless router and and Verizon aircard).

Before installing the plywood pieces I covered them with laminate flooring left over from my flooring project. I stole that idea from pace89. If you search for his user name he has a good post showing what he did.

I had to trim about 1/4 inch off the cabinet doors on each side of the TV. A little Light Oak stain and some polyurethane varnish and you can't tell they were trimmed.

A couple of the pictures show what I used for the travel hold downs. I put some weather stripping on the back of the hold down bars to protect the TV face.
Nice job Clay. I was planning to do something in the future and will remember your install as a guide. The only change I wish to do is mount the arm from the top allowing me to lower the tv while viewing as the old neck gets stiff due to the height of the cabinet and the short distance from my recliner.I've not seen it done this way , but would like your opinion as to the feasibility. Oh, please excuse my jumping in on this thread with this question.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Master
 
RickO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona
Posts: 656
I'll second the vote for LED/LCD sets. I like the picture better and they are so much thinner it makes for a cleaner installation.

Rick

PS Welcome to the forum!
__________________
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palisade CO
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
SNIP.
The only change I wish to do is mount the arm from the top allowing me to lower the tv while viewing as the old neck gets stiff due to the height of the cabinet and the short distance from my recliner.I've not seen it done this way , but would like your opinion as to the feasibility. Oh, please excuse my jumping in on this thread with this question.
It might be a challenge to figure out how to hold it in place when traveling. I am not sure how to approach that.
__________________
Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise
 
Clifftall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
It might be a challenge to figure out how to hold it in place when traveling. I am not sure how to approach that.
I would think that your hold down technique would work.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palisade CO
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
I would think that your hold down technique would work.
Probably need some modification to prevent it from bouncing up and down. It might require more pressure than you want if you just rely on tightening the hold downs.
Maybe make the bottom hold-down parts so they provide some support for the bottom of the TV?
Or maybe a shelf under the TV just wide enough to hold the TV up. The TV will move out when you drop it down and would bypass the shelf.
__________________
Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:43 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fulltimer
Posts: 5
I just ordered my third mount off of Amazon. They have great prices for all kinds of mounts. The one I just ordered is for my A for a overhead tv in the front. It is a solid mount and i will not have a problem with it trying to sway around while moving. I put one on the wall in a Class C I had with a 20" arm that swung around for better viewing. For traveling I put two med. size brass eye bolts on either side of the tv in the wall and used an adjustable nylon strap to hold it in place. Worked great and never had a problem...Happy Trails..
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:13 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbertgk View Post
We are going to replace both TV's with new LCD's in our 2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38T. Any ideas on mounts and TV brands would be appreciated.
Herb

Herbergk checkout my post search mylife

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/hurr...v-57610-3.html
__________________
2014 Thor Chateau Citation 29TB
2012 Honda Fit
MyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner
 
pace89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 114
Hi herbertg. I have replaced both TV's in our 2004 Sightseer 35N if interested photos of the projects as well as other projects at:
Picasa Web Albums - Terry & Bev + Cookie
__________________
Terry & Bev:
2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N - Workhorse Chassis - Toad 2008 Ford TaurusX -
FMCA 261771 - USAF 1956/76 Retired.
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fulltimer
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pace89 View Post
Hi herbertg. I have replaced both TV's in our 2004 Sightseer 35N if interested photos of the projects as well as other projects at:
Picasa Web Albums - Terry & Bev + Cookie
Hey Pace, who is the manufacture of the couch you put in your rv. Did the back come off? I took my hide a bed out and put in two leather chairs and want to go back to a hideabed for the grandkids and am having trouble finding one that i can get through the door. Great job.
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:27 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5
Hi Pace, RV looks great. I like the storage you did behind the front TV. Now I have an idea on how to do the bedroom TV. Great photos.
__________________
2014 Thor Chateau Citation 29TB
2012 Honda Fit
MyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner
 
HUGHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 60
monoprice.com for quality mounts at great prices.
__________________
Hugh & Roberta
George & Gracie(Boston Terrors)
04 Sightseer 30B & 04 Honda CRV
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner
 
pace89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 114
Hi FATMANAR. I do not know who made the couch we bought it at a local furniture store. The back does not come off. What we did to get it in was:
Remove the hand rail inside the coach, remove the legs from the couch, brought it in with the sleeper open; difficult but we made it. FYI I left the legs off, screwed 2x4's (flat) to the bottom of the couch then screwed metal brackets to the 2x4's then screwed the brackets to the floor. The top part of the bracket is hidden by the couch skirt, the other part has velcro with a matching fabric to cover it. Good Luck with your project: pace89.
__________________
Terry & Bev:
2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N - Workhorse Chassis - Toad 2008 Ford TaurusX -
FMCA 261771 - USAF 1956/76 Retired.
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper
 
herbertgk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 38
Thanks for all the info, looking forward to getting our Adventurer out of storage in a few weeks and install the TV's
Herb
herbertgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner
 
coffeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fair Play, SC
Posts: 52
I've been following this post and like Pace's design. I just pulled some plywood (noticed the weight) I had to cut and had this thought after taking some measurements. It seems the strength needs to be where the mount goes. Has anyone just strengthened the right side and used a thin laminate for the other sides? Just seems the additional plywood would add weight. Just curious...
__________________
2005 Sightseer 29R, F53 Chassis-Sold
2007 HHR Toad -Sold, Hankook AH11,Magnum Plus Beads,Dahon Bikes, Roo Bee the "Aussie",SCT-5 Star Tune, Mountain Master Tow Brake,2009 Bighorn 3600RL
coffeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner
 
pace89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 114
Hi Coffeeman. Thanks for your interest in my projects. The articulating wall mount is bolted: wall mount, pergo, plywood, metal frame. Plywood is installed before: pergo, wall mount. Good luck with your project.
__________________
Terry & Bev:
2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N - Workhorse Chassis - Toad 2008 Ford TaurusX -
FMCA 261771 - USAF 1956/76 Retired.
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×