Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-03-2023, 08:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Vibration Issue Safety? 2007 Journey 36SG

I have a chassis vibration that just started on this recent trip. Driving to my first campground, I noticed some minor vibration in the rear of the Journey. I only noticed this when I was trying to accelerate up a grade. In other words the drive train was loaded up.

Leaving my first campground and headed to the next the vibration came back, but a little worse, and now I was noticing it when decelerating down a grade with the Exhaust brake engaged.

I was also thinking drive shaft and u-joints. I crawled under the coach and could not feel any play at either end of the drive shaft. I had no movement at the pinion or the transmission yoke. I did have about 3 to 4 degrees of free rotation at the differential and I could feel a small amount of side to side movement at the slip joint, but in my mind not excessive.

I checked the tires for gear lube and saw none so I think the wheel seals are good. Checked a few other things while under there like the muffler and air cleaner for being loose and vibrating against something, they were both good.

I think I am safe enough to drive home, (150 miles).

Any thoughts? Is that small amount of slop in the slip joint an issue?

Also, seems you can usually go back to the last piece of maintenance when problem like this crops up. I just had the drive tires replaced last week, could this be a lug nut torque issue? I had the tires changed at home so they used beads to balance the tire instead of weights. I could tell when the bags opened up as the ride smoothed out great.

Anything you can offer would be appreciated.

Tags
journey