Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2021, 09:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

TPMS - Gold Standard?

I looked at about 10 TPMS offerings, and they all look, well, a bit like toys. In particular, who on earth would want an 1985 LCD screen in 2021? And for Pete's sake, who would want a battery operated head unit when we have oodles of power on the dash?

I'm just guessing that there must be professional units that i don't know how to find?

I want a high res color screen that shows the data for all 6 tires simultaneously. It should be 12v powered, easy to set up, and have support in the USA. There's nothing technically complicated at all about reading a wireless sensor and reporting the values in a screen. It's almost childs play for a programmer.

Any High End models come to mind?
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:40 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I don't really know, I guess I'm fine with my 1985 toy that works for months on a battery charge and cycles through all 10 tires and shows me psi and temp, and alerts if one is out of spec. Call me old fashioned.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Reasonable requirements to expect. We went with an EEZ RV Products unit that shows a single tire at a time in round-robin fashion and it would sure be nice and a lot more convenient to be able to see all 6 tires at once.

Some of the units, like the one we purchased, can handle a lot more than 6 tires (I think ours will do up to 20 or so) to handle towed vehicles, trailers, etc. That would be more of a challenge to display on a single screen, but it's certainly something that could be accommodated in various ways, perhaps something as easy as 2 or 3 pages (RV on one page, towed vehicle or trailer on another, etc.) of tires that rotate round-robin.

Our Class B RV certainly does not have oodles of power on the dash. I'm kind of appalled that it only offers 2 12V sockets up front and no USB ports. We have to use an add-on 12V splitter with USB ports to be able to power much of anything up front. Kind of sad for a 2016 RV.

Anyways, I'll be interested in hearing if there are any more robust TPMS options out there, but at this point I wouldn't pony up the $ for a better unit unless the current one died.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I suppose the standard I'm using for technology competence is my Garmin GPS. It also cost about $400 (similar to the tpms), but it's beautifully made and very modern. The amount and quality of information i can have on that screen is amazing. I was just shocked to see LCD screens on $400 device.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:36 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatt View Post
I want a high res color screen that shows the data for all 6 tires simultaneously. It should be 12v powered, easy to set up, and have support in the USA. There's nothing technically complicated at all about reading a wireless sensor and reporting the values in a screen. It's almost childs play for a programmer.
I purchased mine about a month ago and also had this mindset. I was looking at the TireMinder brand and the phone app which appears to show the sensors simultaneously. But after a bit of searching, I realized that all I really want is an alarm when something starts to go wrong. So I went with an EEZ RV dumb lcd screen. It's cheap and simple, and really I only look at it as I get ready to drive, and then I set it out of view. I didn't even bother to mount it. I can hear the beeps easy enough and I can grab it glance at it when that ever happens.
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The Tymate I installed on my dual rear wheel based MH meets some of your requirements, not all. It sure doesn't look like a toy. The display screen is small and has a solar panel on top which keeps it charged up well even in indirect sunlight. I just leave it on the dash. If I want to look at it closely, I just pick it up.

The display shows four tires, their pressures and temps and alternates with another screen every 5 seconds which shows the two outer dual wheels.

The sensors are not very accurate, maybe +/- 3 psi but they don't need to be to alarm when low.

It came with a remote repeater but I didn't have to use it. The rear wheel sensors are easily read by the dash display on my 25' MH. On a longer MH or trailer you would likely have to use the remote repeater.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinglett View Post
I purchased mine about a month ago and also had this mindset. I was looking at the TireMinder brand and the phone app which appears to show the sensors simultaneously. But after a bit of searching, I realized that all I really want is an alarm when something starts to go wrong. So I went with an EEZ RV dumb lcd screen. It's cheap and simple, and really I only look at it as I get ready to drive, and then I set it out of view. I didn't even bother to mount it. I can hear the beeps easy enough and I can grab it glance at it when that ever happens.
X2. Mine fits perfectly in the overhead sunglasses holder. I can technically see it, but I rarely look at it.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My '07 Suburban years ago had TPMS that worked really well. The sensors were inside the wheel. Most of what i see now is external sensors. Hard to see any downside to internal sensors, other than the initial install.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I agree with tinglett and backtrack15. I almost never look at the screen on my EEZ except at start-up, I just need the alarms. With any TPMS, there's a minimal amount of data to display, pressure and temp, so I don't see the need for a state of the art screen. The same goes for color, which my EEZ doesn't have. I do agree that it would be nice to see all the tires at once but it's really not a big deal.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:00 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

The round-robin reporting doesn't bother me as I only look at it at startup, then trust it to report a problem while driving. When I chose mine, I was more focused on things like the sensors having user-replaceable batteries (had to send my old ones back for replacement) and ease of installation, durability, etc. I don't want a lot of distractions while driving.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:09 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

So for most of us the "
gold standard" will be how much gold does it take to get the standard as we don't want much better?

For us the smaller the box and the less we need to look at it, the lower the price and that is our Gold! Understanding chip function is where I look for value and it has to be way less than $400 to have value.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:35 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I don't want anyone to think I'm insulting their choice!

In the last 5 years or so, by far most of the electronics I've bought have been JUNK designed by amateurs and sold with fake reviews on popular retail websites. JUNK to me means, it doesn't meet the claims, isn't nearly as nice as the pictures, comes with minimal incomprehensible jibberish instructions written by non English speakers, and fails to function or breaks within 6 months.

I understand everyone's reply that it's really "just an alarm" system. I get it. But alarms have to work at the right time reliably. And, when i see bad engineering, and silly out of date ideas (LCD, for example) it makes me wonder what shortcuts they took in the more important parts.

Sometimes, in small markets, there's just isn't a high quality offering available. Maybe TPMS is just too small for a high quality product to compete in? That's what it looks like to me. If that's the case, I'll get the one that seems best and just live with it. I mean bo offense to anyone for their choice!
Old 07-17-2021, 10:01 AM   #13
Veteran RV Owner

Call me old fashioned....but I use the EEZTire system. It cycles through all 6 tires on my coach and would alert me to any tire out of limits for pressure or temperature. Peace of mind!
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 10:44 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I don't want anyone to think I'm insulting their choice!

In the last 5 years or so, by far most of the electronics I've bought have been JUNK designed by amateurs and sold with fake reviews on popular retail websites. JUNK to me means, it doesn't meet the claims, isn't nearly as nice as the pictures, comes with minimal incomprehensible jibberish instructions written by non English speakers, and fails to function or breaks within 6 months.

I understand everyone's reply that it's really "just an alarm" system. I get it. But alarms have to work at the right time reliably. And, when i see bad engineering, and silly out of date ideas (LCD, for example) it makes me wonder what shortcuts they took in the more important parts.

Sometimes, in small markets, there's just isn't a high quality offering available. Maybe TPMS is just too small for a high quality product to compete in? That's what it looks like to me. If that's the case, I'll get the one that seems best and just live with it. I mean bo offense to anyone for their choice!
I see no problem at all with this but what I see is that if we stay away from the really low end junk stuff, most are actually very happy with what they have and that makes any future for a high end product not so bright.
They are just a simple product that works very well, so a high end with the latest features is just not what most would buy even if there were one with all the features.

I just rejected and sent back a replacement for my Garmin GPS as it had lots of deluxe features but missed on being able to read and or find the screens with the features. Features are nice but not worth anything if they miss the main feature you want like seeing where the road goes!
I feel the same on TPMS as what I have works good at a reasonable price and that is really what I wanted. I don't recommend going into those running less than $100 as they are likely too cheap.

Meanwhile, as an unabashed plug? We will soon be selling lots of things for the RV that we have collected over the years. Things like the TPMS, which we like so well!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:23 PM   #15
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I like the TireMinder we use. I simply connects to an app on my phone, and my phone is always mounted in a temporary position within eyesight when I’m driving. It scrolls through all six tires, but after takeoff, I only look at it really when I get an alarm.
Old 07-17-2021, 01:22 PM   #16
Site Team

One of the "must haves" of your gold standard doesn't exist in the RV marketplace. The show-all-tires-at-the-same-time thing. You'll not find it on an aftermarket RV TPMS.

So, if that's a must have for you, you won't have a TPMS.

There are internal PSI sensors available for specific RVs that have TPMS built into their dashboards. But those are pretty much $500K and above coaches right now.

Color screens are now available and plenty of brands run on 12v power and not batteries. Though the sensors are all operated via a battery that lasts about one year.

I too use the EZZ TPMS. It's black and white, has a power plug and works good for me.

If I was replacing mine I'd look for a color screen, but that wouldn't be a deal breaker. The EZ is a bit slow picking up all 6-tires and some YouTubers say that some of the other brands are faster to do this. But I won't change until this one breaks.
Old 07-17-2021, 01:43 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
One of the "must haves" of your gold standard doesn't exist in the RV marketplace. The show-all-tires-at-the-same-time thing. You'll not find it on an aftermarket RV TPMS.

So, if that's a must have for you, you won't have a TPMS.
I must say, I'm amused that any adult engineer would find it challenging or difficult, or costly to store and display 6 tire readings on a screen! That's just a hoot!

A Junior high student in STEM classes could accomplish this in an hour with an Arduino uP.

Of the three cars I've had with TPMS, they all had concurrent display. Car companies are notoriously cheap on tech, so there is obviously an available chip they all use. (Something i will now investigate).

Being able to see the differentials between tires is far easier If they are all displayed, versus remembering the sequence 67, 64, 62, 68, 66, 69.

I don't disagree with anyone that a simple alarm is an OK solution to get the job done, but it would be nice to have a little more than plain vanilla.
Old 07-17-2021, 01:47 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
I must say, I'm amused that any...
No one is doubting you that it can be done. But since it doesn't exist on the market today the only real world choice is to:

1. Buy a TPMS that's available today
2. Skip having a TPMS altogether until someone makes something different in the future.

It's really that simple.
Old 07-17-2021, 03:27 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

On a side note, I noticed that the EEZ unit (with external sensors) seems to assume a sea-level value for atmospheric pressure. The EEZ and my tire pressure gauges agree pretty well down here at 700 feet. When we went to AZ, UT, and CO (5000-10000 feet) the EEZ would report lower values than the tire pressure gauges by a few psi. I just thought that was interesting.
Old 07-17-2021, 04:16 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
On a side note, I noticed that the EEZ unit (with external sensors) seems to assume a sea-level value for atmospheric pressure. The EEZ and my tire pressure gauges agree pretty well down here at 700 feet. When we went to AZ, UT, and CO (5000-10000 feet) the EEZ would report lower values than the tire pressure gauges by a few psi. I just thought that was interesting.

Interesting. I never even considered that. I'm at 6,000' and the EEZTire always measures right at 4# less than both my Accutire and stick gauge. One of these days when we're camping at 10,000' I'll try to remember to check one and see if the difference increases.