Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

TPMS - (selected the TST 507 )

I’m going to purchase my first Tire Pressure Monitoring System and have tentatively selected the “Truck Systems Technology’s” 507. Their 507 is new and upgrades the existing 510 system. Replaceable batteries, two year warrantee, monitors both pressure and temperature, and appears reasonably priced. I’m just waiting for one of you ladies or gentlemen to suggest there is a better choice out there before hitting the buy button.
Appreciate any "+"s or "-"s
Old 08-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I've had their system for almost two years now. It notified me of a slow leak from a nail on an inside rear that I was able to plug on the road. As the pressure in the inside tire was dropping the pressure and temperature on the outside tire was going up. Had I not had it I'm sure the damage would have paid for a few of their systems. I added two sensors to my tow dolly and rear wheels of which ever car I decide to take with me.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Please include me in this thread. I too am considering the TST-507 RV. Have talked to the group in Georgia and they are very considerate of all questions and requests for information.
HowardV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Totally satisfied with mine.4000 miles since installed in May. They are the previous model.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Well, the OP asked for
Quote:
"+"s or "-"s
We used a TST system for 8 months and apx 6,500 miles during 2009, with a 10 sensor system on motorhome and toad. During that 8 months we had 11 sensors go bad (false/dropping pressure readings), and had two flat tires due to leaking sensors what worked loose on the valve stems ...both flats were on the toad and occured while it was parked. We found the TST folks at the GA office very good to work with, and tried several possible solutions to our problems, but finally decided the sytem was a liability for us rather than being helpful and returned it for a refund.

During the same time period I had a friend who had "the other most popular" TPMS, and had very similar problems to mine. I know some people think the present systems are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but my conclusion was that I don't need one until they are improved to the point that I can trust them to SAVE me grief rather than GIVING me grief... JMHO ...
Old 08-24-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Another system to consider is Tire Safeguard. I've had one for 2 1/2 yrs and 18,000mi. I had one sensor that developed a very slow leak and one repeater (in the toad) go bad, both during the first year. They were promptly replaced by Steve Wong at HCI at no charge or shipping cost. I am very happy with it.

What I like about their system is you can add air to the tire while leaving the sensors on, no possibility of leaks due to constantly removing and replacing the sensors. I chose the valve stem sensors for the toad, they have worked quite well too.

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:34 PM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

I have just received my new 10 Position TPMS System the TST Model Number TM-507RV/SE. I have not had the opportunity to get get it up and going yet but I expect that I will shortly.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Have had the original 510 System for almost 1 year, recently added the 4 sensors for the toad. Satisfied with the system, ecstatic with their customer service. Have had 2 sensors fail, promptly shipped replacements. Ran over the unit with the MH while coding one of the new sensors, needless to say it was history. They sent me a replacement at no charge. Toad works fine without the repeater - to my surprise.

Happy customer.
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Had mine about a month

I've been using the 507 system for about a month. Very easy to install and program.

Love not having to ask my husband if he checked the tire pressure. I can just look for myself.

I got the 8 sensor system. Installed 6 on the tires and two on the front airbags. Installed the front airbags ones on the toad axel on the monitor. You can turn the toad sensors on and off so can check the front air bags and then turn them off for driving since they change so often and set off the fast leak alert.

One thing I don't like is that it scrolls through the pressures. I would rather have a screen that showed them all at once so I could see them at a glance rather than have to wait while it scrolls through and try to remember the pressures of each tire. Not easy to catch each tire pressure while driving.

Another thing I don't like is that when the alarm goes off it keeps scrolling and I have no idea what sensor tripped the alarm and what type it was until I pull off and study the display. The icons for high pressure, low pressure, fast leak and high temp are so small that I can't really see them or tell them apart while driving.

That being said the price was very reasonable. And the functionality is great with tire pressure and temp. being displayed. You can program your own high and low pressures as well as a high temp.

I would still buy this system again despite the issues I noted above. On their home page it says to call in and ask for the daily special. I did this and save a bit of money so suggest instead of hitting the buy button, give them a call and see what price they offer.

Michelle
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I too am looking at this product, thanks for data
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:13 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by micd View Post

One thing I don't like is that it scrolls through the pressures. I would rather have a screen that showed them all at once so I could see them at a glance rather than have to wait while it scrolls through and try to remember the pressures of each tire. Not easy to catch each tire pressure while driving.
Michelle
I'll just assume you weren't aware of this but, by repeatedly pressing the third button from the left you can scroll manually. I do this prior to pulling out from anywhere to check each tire and it takes about 10 seconds to view all the sensors.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:46 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I am looking at the 507 also. TST seems to have great customer service.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:14 AM   #13
iRV2 Marketing

Arrow TST Chat Announced - 1 Week From Today

On Wednesday, September 1st, 2010 a Chat session will be held at 9:00p.m. EST hosted by Dan Covington from TST Systems. The chat will be held in the RV Technical Chat Room.

Bring all your questions and Dan will respond or will make arrangements to speak with you in person. This will be TST's 3rd Chat session and Dan has told me that he enjoys visiting iRV2 and chatting with you folks.

See you there!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:33 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Well, the OP asked for
We used a TST system for 8 months and apx 6,500 miles during 2009, with a 10 sensor system on motorhome and toad. During that 8 months we had 11 sensors go bad (false/dropping pressure readings), and had two flat tires due to leaking sensors what worked loose on the valve stems ...both flats were on the toad and occured while it was parked. We found the TST folks at the GA office very good to work with, and tried several possible solutions to our problems, but finally decided the sytem was a liability for us rather than being helpful and returned it for a refund.

During the same time period I had a friend who had "the other most popular" TPMS, and had very similar problems to mine. I know some people think the present systems are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but my conclusion was that I don't need one until they are improved to the point that I can trust them to SAVE me grief rather than GIVING me grief... JMHO ...
AFChap’s comments remind me of my toad break system which I rarely use anymore. Twice it has applied full breaking to the toad due to internal faults instead of when I was applying aggressive coach breaking. Now it just scares me because I had to pull over at awkward places which decreased my overall safety instead of enhancing it. The factory has fixed it twice under warrantee but I’m still a bit hesitant to get into a false application syndrome again.

That said, and without other’s here indicating problems similar to AFCap’s, I’ll probably buy the 507. I’m just a lazy guy and not good on my knees in the early morning hours. There does seem to be a high failure rate on the sensors and I’ll add my next two cents after some experience.

For those of you who installed the 507 a question: Did you remove any valve stem extenders when installing? One would have to replace them to top off the air but I’m wondering if the extenders may contribute to leaking and or sensor failure.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:01 AM   #15
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
For those of you who installed the 507 a question: Did you remove any valve stem extenders when installing? One would have to replace them to top off the air but I’m wondering if the extenders may contribute to leaking and or sensor failure.
When I had my tires replaced, I had them fitted with approximately ~1 1/4"- 1 1/2" inch long brass (metal) valve stems. I have been able to attach the sensors directly on the valve stems without an adapter or extension. This would be the most reliable method in attaching the wheel sensors.

I once had WheelMaster angled extension on my front tires but they leaked like sieves. I discarded those and have been good ever since.

I have also chosen to use a CrossFire on my Doolies.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I’m wondering if the extenders may contribute to leaking and or sensor failure.
I have extensions on my inner duals (and also had stabilizers on the sensors there). I did not notice any relationship to my sensor failures or leaks to the two tires with extensions. I had sensor failures on pretty much all tires. The two flats while parked were on toad tires. I also had sensors work loose on the motorhome, but caught them and tightened them before they became a problem. You can see my setup, with the extension stabilzers, on my website at http://www.pjrider.com/TireCodes.htm.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I have the older TST 10 system and really like it. I have had to sensors go bad, but I called TST and they sent me new sensors with no problems. They even sent prepaid envelopes to send the bad sensors back. Great customer service and great friendly people to deal with. Very refreshing to find a company that really goes all out to help its customers! Thanks DGShaffer I did not know that about the 3 button you could manually scroll.
Jackhal1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:42 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I think they had a manufacturing issue at the beginning with their sensors regarding the nub that depresses the valve in the stem. My first unit had 4 of the 6 sensors go bad in that they would all show pressure then loose it over night but when I manually tested the pressure it was still good. I had it unplugged and forgot to turn it off andthe battery died as well. One call to Dan and just three days later I received a brand new system since he sent it out before I sent him the old one. I was very impressed and the new unit never gave me one problem in the two years I've been using it.

This is also when I found the easy way of entering the sensor code by attaching the sensor to the wheel while in the mode that lets the unit find the code automatically. Too easy!

Checking the pressure manually is a novel idea right until you don't do it after you pull to the shoulder for some reason or drive through a parking lot. I know my driveway is clear of nails.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:56 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I tried another brand of TMPS, one sold by Camping World. It was very difficult to program. Each tire sensor must be added to the system one at a time so that the TMPS control unit would be able to know which tire the sensor is on. While programming some times the sensor signal would be found in 3 or 4 minutes but sometimes it took much more time.

The system often lost signals from different sensors and would give a warning. I couldn't hear the warning but my wife could and she would tell me to turn the system off. I tried adding their repeater to my system but their TMPS systems was still unreliable. I removed the sensors from my toad and and I got less false alarms but I would still get false alarms.

I talked to Dan Covington at TST and he offered to give me a discount for his 507 system if I would send him my old system. I odered a TMPS from TST and today I boxed up my old system. I will mail it to TST on Monday.

Hopefully, I will be much happier with the TST TPMS.

JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

First 600 mile trip with TST 507 TPMS uneventful.

Put the front sensors on 3 days before departure and the rear outers sensors on the day before saving the rear inner installation until after arrival home. I love being able to check the pressures remotely rather than waiting until the last slide is sucked in to get my knees wet crawling around the rig prior to departure. The system worked as advertised prior to departure and underway. Installation technique of the sensors is not discussed by TST or in detail with any of the published info that came with the unit. I elected to install the sensors directly to the valve stem rather than on any type of extension. Thus I removed the 1&1/4 inch or so extensions I had on the front wheels and rear outer wheels that made manual checking of the pressure easier. On the rear inner wheels my original installation had braded steel extensions about 6 inches or so long that enabled manual pressure checking. I also removed these in order to place the sensors directly on the valve stem.

The STS sensors have an anti-theft feature that requires use of a small tool device to install and remove the sensors. The added length and circumference of this tool, (its approximately 1 inch longer than sensor and requires a ¾ inch space to the side for tool removal/installation of tool), complicates installation slightly. I found it necessary to remove my wheel covers to insure proper installation. When the time comes to add air or verify sensor readings the removal of wheel covers will also be necessary. Personally I can live with this nuisance provided my tires continue to perform as they have, (i.e. I’ve only had to add or adjust air once per year and have been lucky to do so ad my leisure, not because of a slow leak for example). Should one or more of the sensors start giving erroneous low pressure readings however, I might feel differently. I do value the temperature as well as pressure readout/warnings hoping that a rapid temperature rise might for-shadow any type of catastrophic failure. And, the TPMS does take care of my fear of driving for hours with a low rear tire thus overstressing its mate.

TST customer service is outstanding by the way.