Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-28-2017, 05:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
No expert, but perhaps it has to do with how old the tire was when installed, and how hot they get those first few weeks of driving?

When I bought four of the Toyos back in '09, they had a manufacturing date of less than 6 weeks, I bought in the dry desert area of eastern Oregon, and tended to stay in those types of areas for months after the Toyos were installed. The smell was very pronounced for days, and over the next few weeks, got less and less. A few months (8) later it was occasionally noticeable but mostly gone.

Maybe if I'd been in a higher humidity areas, or in cooler areas, it wouldn't have been as noticeable?
I forgot to mention that I had a worse smell from the Continental steer tires when they were first installed. The bottom line is that the smell will go away in time. When the new tires went onto the CR-V I had the same smell problem for a short period of time. All gone now.

Tags
switch