Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-12-2018, 07:05 PM   #1
Winniehurn

Trailer Brake Request For Feedback

We have a 2019 Minnie Plus 27RBDS towing with a 2016 Tundra 5.7L w/tow package. Instructions to set up integrated trailer brake controller (in short) called for driving rig @ low speed, adjusting controller voltage output by trial to slightly below point where trailer tires lock up to skid using manual control lever.

We could never get even close to locking up trailer tires with stock Toyota ITBC unit. Researching internet, many complaints on this factory unit. Tried reprogramming controller by local dealer, but didn't help. Not wanting to dump any more $$ into a "dead horse," I installed a highly rated Teknosha P3 controller and went through recommended set up (similar to Toyota's). Braking was more responsive than with Toyota ITBC but I feel well below point of trailer tire lock up (using full manual control lever). The Teknosha at least has a voltage readout, and shows 12.2 volts at full manual brake on.

Reading troubleshooting guide provided with Teknosha, I checked brake adjustment on our new trailer (about 500 mikes on it). Brakes are manual adjust, found them to require several "notches" tightening to get to recommended adjustment. Road test yielded even better braking, but still what seems well below lock up at full manual controller output (12.2 volts). I feel pretty comfortable with brakes now, but still wonder if there is more to be gained. The Tundra braking is excellent, but in an emergency situation God forbid we ever get into one, would like everything the combined braking can offer!

I'm considering pulling the emergency trailer brake pin (not on road, just in driveway) to see if even that will improve brake response. Also considering tapping into brake wiring at brake axles to multimeter check voltage available at full controller output delivered to brakes but thought it wise to check this forum to seek others experiences / advice before going on solo. We are relatively new to RV'ing, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I would take it back to dealer, but then they are the ones that sent the unit out with poorly adjusted brakes in first place. Also, they are a good distance away and have backlog of several weeks waiting period. Overall, I feel better doing some troubleshooting on my own before resorting to them.
Winniehurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:35 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

This would be my thought.

" Also considering tapping into brake wiring at brake axles to multimeter check voltage available at full controller output delivered to brakes"

Or at least check the voltage at the truck/trailer connector.

You may have to increase the wire size.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Mount Airy, I believe you are done! In my lowly opinion(ASE Heavy Truck Master), you have done an excellent job. Your RV manual kindly reminds you that you should adjust your electric trailer brakes shortly after delivery.(Cause the factory driver and the dealer didn't crawl under it) Be careful about over adjusting the shoes, your manual controller should not be able to lock up the brakes, however if you want to, pull the breakaway pin in gravel and see if all wheels lock equally. This is what D.O.T officers do to commercial carriers that hauled your trailer.
Now, the Tundra is at the high end of it's GVCW and you have doubled it's braking duties. Be careful with pad choices, buy the best and turn or replace rotors with pads. I have also put an extra trans cooler on the last three trucks with "tow packages" on them with trans temp. gauges.
Thanks for listenin' Chris
cdhorak60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:52 PM   #4
Winniehurn

Thanks rgvtexan & cdhorak60!

Gentlemen, I really appreciate the excellent suggestions / explanations you responded to me. Also, the quick replies on such an important matter really mean a lot.

I will promptly follow up those currently applicable and when time to "re-shoe the Tundra," will go first class as suggested. Will also be looking into the transmission suggestions.

Take Care, Larry & Lana
Winniehurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhorak60 View Post
Your RV manual kindly reminds you that you should adjust your electric trailer brakes shortly after delivery.(Cause the factory driver and the dealer didn't crawl under it)
That's the truth. Both of the TTs I've owned needed the brakes adjusted when I first got them home. Wow, it's been a long time since I had to adjust manual drum brakes. I still remembered how thank god.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:22 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I've never been able to lock the trailer brakes on either of our trailers with any type of controller. I do my best to set them so they don't push or pull the trailer on a hard stop and leave it at that.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake