Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-22-2023, 12:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Tire Delamination and Twisted Metal

After 6 weeks on the road (Oregon/Montana) had a tire come apart in Idaho, took out the passenger side wheel well assembly. Put the spare on, spent the night in Twin Falls and put on a complete set of 10 plys to replace the Thailand bombs.
Trying to get parts from WB, so far they have been very responsive.
Could have been worse, trailer barely wobbled, scared the rv behind me as tires pieces flew off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20231012_163900.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	630.6 KB
ID:	187624   Click image for larger version

Name:	20231012_162734.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	278.3 KB
ID:	187625  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20231012_161710 - Copy.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	187626  
Gigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 01:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Do you have any more info on what caused the tire to blow? Anything you know you hit on the road and found in the tire or just loss of air over time that caused overheating?

This looks very much like what finally caused my brother to go for the tire pressure monitor as it saves so much extra.
In their case it got much worse as the tire went off on the inside of the wheel and wrapped up a bunch of things like brake line, etc. before they got stopped!

They also had major side damage but the bigger problem was getting the running gear back in shape so they could move on.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 01:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Tire never lost pressure..still at 80psi. Tread delaminted from the core.
Tires had less than 6k miles.

Didn't want to chance another failure, replaced the remaining tires.
Gigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 04:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Well, that does put it over into a different ballgame. Sounds like time to get some legal advise on warranty for damages?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 01:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Get a pro trailer shop to check the axle for rolling accuracy. Especially if your rig is equipped with a dual torsion axle, check for even distance on the axle arm drops when the axles are off the ground by jacking the entire rig up with multiple jack stands on a completely level surface. The down angles of the individual down arms should not be out of spec otherwise the tires will not be loading equally from the internal rubber springs. Worn out torsion axles are certainly not a good thing if they put unequal loading on the tires.

If you have a spring setup then there are easy fixes for evening out the differences between loading while moving down the road at speed with inter axle connector units like this one. https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tra...pt-Camper.aspx

Before one condemns a tire as being defective it is always a good idea to look at the running gear very carefully these days. IMO

All my best getting your rig into top condition for safer usage at highway speeds.
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote