Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-11-2023, 07:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Power for back up camera.

I have a 2022 Minnie TT. Does anyone know the power source for the back up camera? Marker lights or other?
Kirbygw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 09:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

The power for the backup camera comes from the running lights. Usually the top center light. This means the parking lights or headlights must be on and the trailer plugged in to the tow vehicle.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 06:43 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
The power for the backup camera comes from the running lights. Usually the top center light. This means the parking lights or headlights must be on and the trailer plugged in to the tow vehicle.
That is not always true. Mine was wired to a 12v circuit/10 amp fuse. In fact, the OEM drawings I have for my TT has a note for an optional back up camera prep on circuit #5. When I installed my rear camera, I tied it into the running light, as I didn't want the camera on all the time. I found out the hard way as I cut the plug off and blew the fuse.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 12v Wiring Diagram.pdf (546.0 KB, 65 views)
No1Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 07:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbygw1968 View Post
I have a 2022 Minnie TT. Does anyone know the power source for the back up camera? Marker lights or other?
Some of this gets into personal choice on what you want and what you have now.
I am sometimes slow to add DIY wiring that can show pretty bad, so I might ask what the tow vehicle has in the trailer connection and what wiring tether you have.
If you have a 7-pin trailer tether and connection, I might favor going from back to front with wiring as the simple way and using the backup light pin in the connector.

Some reasons for doing this are that it can be run underneath and out of sight as well as not adding to any potential to trip or blow a fuse that is needed for more important things like lights! Added surface wiring has a nasty habit of coming loose and getting us in trouble on things like boat trailers.
I shy away from adding more trouble potential on those circuits that I really feel I have to have working to travel, so I don't like adding to those when there is a dedicated circuit for the job???

It pays to know what you have and test the pinout before deciding but this looks like a pretty solid point---if it is what you have.
There are times when the long way is the easy way?
Click image for larger version

Name:	f RV plug.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	185626
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 07:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I’m not understanding No 1 Hunter response.
The rear view camera draws far less amperage than the running lights. Don’t see how it’s possible for the camera to be at fault for blowing the running light fuse, which I think is 15amps. Rear view cameras are designed to tap into the running light circuit. If that’s not working for you, or you’re blowing a fuse, something else is wrong, not the fault of the camera. Maybe bad installation causing a short.
Old 04-13-2023, 07:32 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
I’m not understanding No 1 Hunter response.
The rear view camera draws far less amperage than the running lights. Don’t see how it’s possible for the camera to be at fault for blowing the running light fuse, which I think is 15amps. Rear view cameras are designed to tap into the running light circuit. If that’s not working for you, or you’re blowing a fuse, something else is wrong, not the fault of the camera. Maybe bad installation causing a short.
Sorry for the confusion. Let me try to clarify. My rear camera prep was not wired into the running lights, it was wired to the TT DC panel. Apparently this was an option according to the wiring diagram I attached above. Thinking it was actually wired to the running light and not having the TT connected to the TV, I simply took my dikes and cut the factory plug off, which has both the positive and negative wires. POP went the fuse due to the dikes shorting the positive wire to the negative wire.

Of course, I didn't know this until I mounted my camera and hooked up to the truck to test it. Side camera worked great, but not the rear camera. So, I took it all apart and tested the camera in the cab of my truck and it worked fine. I happened to go in my TT and noticed a red LED in the DC panel indicating a blown fuse. Sure enough, replaced the fuse and using my volt ohm meter, determine there was power. Pulled the fuse and no power. Needless to say, I terminated the wires and ran a couple to the running light right above the camera prep. Everything works fine now.
Old 04-13-2023, 09:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Great,
You R da man
Old 04-14-2023, 02:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1Hunter View Post
That is not always true. Mine was wired to a 12v circuit/10 amp fuse. In fact, the OEM drawings I have for my TT has a note for an optional back up camera prep on circuit #5. When I installed my rear camera, I tied it into the running light, as I didn't want the camera on all the time. I found out the hard way as I cut the plug off and blew the fuse.
I'm sorry for hijacking the thread, but I've been looking for the wiring diagram for my 2529RG for some time. Winnebago never responded to my emails. Do yo happen to have the diagram for the 110V power distribution?
Mito57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 02:35 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Yup! 30amp or 50amp?
Old 04-14-2023, 04:23 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

50 amps. Thanks a lot!
Mito57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 05:08 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Here you go.

What Distribution Panel/converter came with your TT (manufacture and part no.)?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 110V-50amp.pdf (705.0 KB, 46 views)
Old 04-17-2023, 07:15 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I pulled a wire from the middle running light and attached the camera to the roof with adhesive. This provides an always on Camera, when ever the lights are on.
TerryMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, power