Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2019, 06:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Minnie 2108 owners

Hi,

Will be picking up a new 2108DS next week. I wanted to ask if anyone with a 2108 had their actual tongue weights.... Need to decide on a hitch. Also, any insight on wheat hitch you purchased and if you are happy would be great.... THANKS
essbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Sorry, I see the Minnie Plus is both a TT and 5th wheel.
RVWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The 2108DS is a TT to the best of my knowledge and this is the number on our trailer. We purchased the Blue Ox Pro system. I probably would pick a lighter, less expensive hitch if doing it again. My 1/2 ton pulls this trailer effortlessly on local runs with only a ball and receiver.
Donstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Hi Essbase,

With my very first post, I wanted to congratulate you on your new 2108DS.

This will be our second season with our 2108DS and it has been a great camper and we have had a lot of fun with it.

Regarding towing, using the "beam / scale" method the tongue weight was close to 550 lbs. with the initial loading.

First trip I towed it with just the weight bearing hitch, just a couple of times I sensed a slight sway and the steering / front end felt just a tad lighter.

Years ago I developed a healthy respect for towing after having a bad experience with towing a Bobcat / skid loader that I did not position perfectly on the trailer and how quickly a little sway can turn scary very quickly.

So, to be safe, and after a lot of research, I decided to purchase the Blue Ox Sway Pro with the bars for 750 lb tongue weight and it has worked perfectly, no hint of sway with wind or large trucks passing and the front end of the truck does not feel light. With the Sway Pro there is no issue with backing up, it does not make any noises and the camper and truck ride very well. Using the tongue jack, connecting the bars is not difficult. I believe the Sway Pro is well worth its additional cost.

Brian
RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner View Post
So, to be safe, and after a lot of research, I decided to purchase the Blue Ox Sway Pro with the bars for 750 lb tongue weight and it has worked perfectly, no hint of sway with wind or large trucks passing and the front end of the truck does not feel light. With the Sway Pro there is no issue with backing up, it does not make any noises and the camper and truck ride very well. Using the tongue jack, connecting the bars is not difficult. I believe the Sway Pro is well worth its additional cost.

Brian
Good endorsement of the Blue Ox. I haven't owned a WD hitch system since 1990 and I remember it being less heavy and awkward to hookup. The fact that I was almost 30 years younger may have influenced my comparison.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Blu ox

I have a 2401 rg and it is hard not to like the Blu ox system. Heavy wind does
Affect trailer but never any fishtailing.
Jandjstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We tow our 2108DS with GMC's factory tow package rated at 5200 lbs. No after market anti sway bars. Tows like a dream. I've pulled boats and single axle TTs that flopped around like crazy but the double axle Micro Minnie tows straight and true. 6 cylinder Acadia has plenty of power on grades but haven't been above 3000 feet yet. The Rockies might be a different story.
Bhfromme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:08 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

You can figure the tongue weight to be between 13% - 15% of the loaded trailer. If you are typical you will add about 1500 lbs to the dry weight which will give a tongue weight between 700 and 800 lbs. If you max out the trailer to its full 7K then you are talking tongue weights between 900 and 1050 lbs. For those weights I would look at the next bump above 1K lbs for the hitch you choose. I also wouldn't pull the trailer without some kind of sway control. Any decent WDH will have built in sway control and with these weights you will need a WDH to shift weight back to the front. Personally even if the weights were below the requirement for a WDH I would still use a WDH as the built in sway control is much better than friction bars.

For our 2106FBS I went with an Equal-i-zer hitch equipped with 1000 lb bars as we are over the next lower bar rating or 600 lbs. It rides just fine and we've never had any sway issues in heavy winds or semi-trucks passing.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Love the 2108DS

Congrats on the purchase of a 2108DS. I have a late 2019 2108DS. Love it. I pull with a F150 with the factory tow package and have an Equalizer 1000/10,000 hitch. I highly recommend the Equalizer 1000/10,000 hitch. The trailer has little to no sway. I initially thought that this was too much of a hitch for a 2108DS but have found once I load the trailer it works very well. The only downside is that it is a bit noisy when the bars move. It really surprised me when I first took the trailer out but have gotten used to it and a little noise is an easy trade off for great towing.
Photog100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for welcoming me on your first post! And thanks for the info. I picked up a almost new Blue OX 750lb from another Winnie Owners member that lived close by. Several folks with 2106/2108s have commented that it does the job. Hope you are having a great camping season!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner View Post
Hi Essbase,

With my very first post, I wanted to congratulate you on your new 2108DS.

This will be our second season with our 2108DS and it has been a great camper and we have had a lot of fun with it.

Regarding towing, using the "beam / scale" method the tongue weight was close to 550 lbs. with the initial loading.

First trip I towed it with just the weight bearing hitch, just a couple of times I sensed a slight sway and the steering / front end felt just a tad lighter.

Years ago I developed a healthy respect for towing after having a bad experience with towing a Bobcat / skid loader that I did not position perfectly on the trailer and how quickly a little sway can turn scary very quickly.

Brian
Old 03-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Old_Engineer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_engineer View Post
You can figure the tongue weight to be between 13% - 15% of the loaded trailer. If you are typical you will add about 1500 lbs to the dry weight which will give a tongue weight between 700 and 800 lbs. If you max out the trailer to its full 7K then you are talking tongue weights between 900 and 1050 lbs. For those weights I would look at the next bump above 1K lbs for the hitch you choose. I also wouldn't pull the trailer without some kind of sway control. Any decent WDH will have built in sway control and with these weights you will need a WDH to shift weight back to the front. Personally even if the weights were below the requirement for a WDH I would still use a WDH as the built in sway control is much better than friction bars.

For our 2106FBS I went with an Equal-i-zer hitch equipped with 1000 lb bars as we are over the next lower bar rating or 600 lbs. It rides just fine and we've never had any sway issues in heavy winds or semi-trucks passing.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:02 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Photog100 - 2108DS

Thanks... We thought maybe it woudl be more than we need. Where we live there are tons of almost new hitches for sale... If I find the Blue OX is too light or not controlling the sway I will jump over to the hitch you are running. What is your F150 configuration. We just bought a Supercab 2.7 with standard tow package and brake controller. Hope it will get the job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog100 View Post
Congrats on the purchase of a 2108DS. I have a late 2019 2108DS. Love it. I pull with a F150 with the factory tow package and have an Equalizer 1000/10,000 hitch. I highly recommend the Equalizer 1000/10,000 hitch. The trailer has little to no sway. I initially thought that this was too much of a hitch for a 2108DS but have found once I load the trailer it works very well. The only downside is that it is a bit noisy when the bars move. It really surprised me when I first took the trailer out but have gotten used to it and a little noise is an easy trade off for great towing.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:22 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

You'll like the F150. I have a supercrew with the 5.0 engine. Your tongue weight can go up fast as you load the trailer. This is especially true if you upgrade your batteries (I'm now running 2 6V batteries-heavy but much more capacity) and/or add larger propane tanks.
Photog100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:58 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2108Ds and tow it with a Chevy Tahoe using the Equalizer Hitch. Set up by the dealer and have had no problems whatsoever with towing.
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:01 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We have the 2106DS and use the Husky Centerline WDH w/sway control and pull with 07 Tahoe 5.3. It's worked well for us. But are considering a 3/4 ton truck for longer hauls.
In2pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:58 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

You need to download the brochure and owners manual to determine whats required.

Winnebago specifies between a 10% to 15% hitch weight for their trailers and the 2108DS has a 7,000 lb weight rating so the hitch would have to be set up for a 700 to 1,050 lb hitch weight.

As delivered to the dealer the empty 2108DS weighs 3,900 lbs with a hitch weight of only 410 lbs (10%) however for safety you need to setup your hitch to be able to accommodate the MAX weights of 7,000 lbs with 1,050 lbs hitch weight.

Winnebago makes this easy since the specifications, owners and parts manuals for just about everything they have ever made are available on-line

See:
https://winnebagoind.com/binaries/co...y-brochure.pdf
https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...OWABLES_US.pdf
Old 03-14-2019, 08:50 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

It's my understanding that the 7000lbs rating is only because the 2108 and 2106 both have duel axles, realistically you would never get up to 7000lbs. The Husky brand I have is rated for 800lbs... I inquired about the heavier duty WDH and my dealer said it wasn't necessary for the reason stated above. I purchased my WDH from the dealership I purchased my TT from, he could have upsold me the more expensive WDH but again said it wasn't necessary.

Jeff
In2pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:06 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

WiFi KingConnect Questions

We have a 2020 2108FBS. During the walk through the deal mentioned a box above the TV that can be used for WiFi hook up. The box is marked King Connect.

Has anybody hooked anything up to it or can provide information on how it works?

Thanks.
RustyD
RustyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:37 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyD View Post
We have a 2020 2108FBS. During the walk through the deal mentioned a box above the TV that can be used for WiFi hook up. The box is marked King Connect.

Has anybody hooked anything up to it or can provide information on how it works?

Thanks.
RustyD
We no longer own our 2108 but I think the dealer was off on his explanation. You have two coaxial (cable) connections above your TV. One is for your roof antenna (King brand) and the other connects directly to your outside park or home connection. You would need to add a modem and a router (and ISP provider) if you want personal wifi. I think someone was confused during the walk through. Most popular parks offer wifi and/or cable hook up so we usually just took advantage of their services!
Old 01-20-2020, 08:49 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

In the 2020 2108FBS there is a box next to the two you mentioned labeled "KingConnect". It may be something new added since 2018. So hopefully someone else can provide information.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
RustyD is offline   Reply With Quote